Need trip adivce. KEWK to KBGR

Old June 4th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Need trip adivce. KEWK to KBGR

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip from Newton, KS to Bangor, ME. We'll be flying a
Twin Comanche. Time frame would be in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm looking for advice on airports to stop at, fuel up and get a bite
to eat. Ideally we'd stay away from the big centres and inexpensive
fuel would be a bonus.

If anyone lives in between this route and can boast about their
airport, I'd love to hear about it. I don't have any idea where to
stop so I thought I'd turn to here and ask for advice. I know i can
check airnav.com for fuel prices... but I like the semi-personal touch
of forums.

Thanks,

-dr

Old June 5th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Dico" wrote:

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip from Newton, KS to Bangor, ME. We'll be flying a
Twin Comanche. Time frame would be in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm looking for advice on airports to stop at, fuel up and get a bite
to eat. Ideally we'd stay away from the big centres and inexpensive
fuel would be a bonus.

If anyone lives in between this route and can boast about their
airport, I'd love to hear about it. I don't have any idea where to
stop so I thought I'd turn to here and ask for advice. I know i can
check airnav.com for fuel prices... but I like the semi-personal touch
of forums.

Thanks,

-dr

1B1 (Columbia County, NY) usually has good fuel prices, GPS approaches to
both ends of a big runway, and has an excellent restaurant within easy
walking distance. I haven't plotted it on a chart, but it seems like
should be sort of on the way from KS to ME.
Old June 5th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Hi Roy,

1b1 is perfect for our 2nd stop! Timing works out super!

Now we need a place to stop in upstate Indiana....

Suggestions?

-dr

Old June 5th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

try
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/?li...trackingId=715

Come visit Sporty's and have a hot dog on us. Every
Saturday between 12 Noon and 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time, we
grill hotdogs, metts and brats in appreciation of our
customers. Flight planning facilities and low fuel prices
make Sporty's an ideal cross country destination. While
you're here, try on the latest headset, check out Cessna's
newest aircraft, or take a look at Sporty's unique product
line in our store.

100,000 Served and Counting
Sporty's recently reached a milestone of 100,000 hot
dogs served. A celebration was thrown and the President of
AOPA, Phil Boyer, had the honor of eating the 100,000th dog.
The cookouts, which began in 1992, have grown into a popular
stop for pilots on cross-country flights who want to visit
Sporty's headquarters at Clermont County/Sporty's Airport
(I69). We hope you can join us.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/I69

"Dico" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hi Roy,
|
| 1b1 is perfect for our 2nd stop! Timing works out super!
|
| Now we need a place to stop in upstate Indiana....
|
| Suggestions?
|
| -dr
|

| Roy Smith wrote:
| In article
.com,

Old June 5th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

WWW.AIRNAV.COM

Old June 5th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In article eqNgg.26431$ZW3.11447@dukeread04,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

try
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/?li...trackingId=715

Come visit Sporty's and have a hot dog on us. Every
Saturday between 12 Noon and 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time, we
grill hotdogs, metts and brats in appreciation of our
customers.

Jim, are you based in the Cincinnati area?

Old June 5th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

No, Wichita. But if I was flying near Sporty's I'd stop
just to see what it was like.

My home town is Springfield, IL, I would always stop in and
see my mom before she died if I was anywhere near and was
dead heading or flying cargo.
Twin Comanche is small, I'd stop often to let my passengers
stretch their legs.

You can deviate from a straight line by quite a lot if you
do it early and not add a lot of miles. GC distance KEWK to
KBGR is 1,335 NM. Batavia is about 185 miles south of the
great circle direct track. EWK to I69 is 615 NM and I69 to
BGR is 766 NM, for a total of 1,381 NM or 50 miles
difference with a 185 mile southern diversion from track.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old June 5th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
No, Wichita. But if I was flying near Sporty's I'd stop
just to see what it was like.

I would too. Just want to set your expectations relative to the "restaurant with
a view of the runway". It's a bunch o' vending machines. Don't get me wrong,
it's a nice airport, just don't go there for the restaurant.
Old June 5th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Dave Butler wrote:

I would too. Just want to set your expectations relative to the "restaurant with
a view of the runway". It's a bunch o' vending machines. Don't get me wrong,
it's a nice airport, just don't go there for the restaurant.

If there were ever a list of airports that needed a restaurant, this
airport would fall at or near the top of this list, IMO.

--
Peter