Where is the work ?

Old July 31st 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
jad[_1_]

Default Where is the work ?

Hi guys,

Got my CPL(H) in the last few months, now what!! Got no idea where to
start looking for work and collecting those wonderful hours..

I'm based in Australia, any ideas ??

Jad
Old August 1st 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

jad wrote:
Hi guys,

Got my CPL(H) in the last few months, now what!! Got no idea where to
start looking for work and collecting those wonderful hours..

I'm based in Australia, any ideas ??

Jad

You need to build some hours. Sounds like outback cattle mustering in
an R22 for you!

Old August 3rd 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Steve R

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:04:38 +1000, jad
wrote:

Hi guys,

Got my CPL(H) in the last few months, now what!! Got no idea where to
start looking for work and collecting those wonderful hours..

I'm based in Australia, any ideas ??

Don't know about down under, but up here, unless you've got 1000 PIC
hours, jobs are VERY hard to come by. I got my CPL(H) back in March
and other than a couple friends paying me for rides, I haven't had any
"work" flying. The best way to get your hours is to instruct so that's
what I'm gonna
do.. Hopefully, once I get my Instructor ticket I'll be able to crank
out that 1000 hours in less than a year and move on to something
interesting.

As the OP is in Australia, he can't instruct until he has 400 hours. Which
is of course a good thing.

--
Craig

Amen to that, especially in helicopters. It's bad enough in fixed wing!
;-)

I'm always been a little leary of flight instructors who are "only" doing it
to build hours. I was lucky enough when I got my fixed wing ratings to know
a CFI who was not only a "First Class" teacher, but was flight instructing
not because he needed the flight hours but because he truly loved teaching
and flying. It made for a wonderful experience. To this day, if I could go
back and relive some previous part of my life, the summer I learned to fly
would be "very" high on the list.

I've got a couple of horror stories of students that got royally screwed by
CFI's who were trying to build hours. I'm not saying that would be you,
Kevin. You've have always come across as an honest guy in such things but I
hope you understand my point.

Best of luck to all, and Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old August 5th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Steve L

The best way to get your hours is to instruct so that's what I'm gonna
do.. Hopefully, once I get my Instructor ticket I'll be able to crank
out that 1000 hours in less than a year and move on to something
interesting.

As the OP is in Australia, he can't instruct until he has 400 hours.
Which is of course a good thing.

For students - yes; for new instructors - no.
I finally got my instrument rating added to my CFI rotorcraft
helicopter. Started 7 months ago - now I'm a poor guy.

I would be happy to go everywhere to fly without having to pay for it.
And here in the US it is really easy, I had three jobs at once IF I were
not such a damn alien. No work permit and no chance to get one. If I
only were a Mexican! ;-

If anyone needs a CFI RTR IH, ask me please! And I really enjoy
instructing and am pretty sure students will have a hard time finding a
question I cannot answer right now. Although I am pretty sure this will
become boring after some time if it is the only thing you do.