Substitute for MEK?

Old August 28th 03, 03:12 PM
Rich S.

Default Substitute for MEK?

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
om...
I want to wipe down a wing prior to applying a coating of dope.
Is there an acceptable substitute for MEK? - Mike

I've used Prep-sol from Dupont for that. It's good for getting rid of
silicones.

Rich S.

Old August 29th 03, 05:15 AM
RDA

PPG DX320 is a very fast evaporating (relatively speaking) OMS (odorless
mineral spirits) paint pre-cleaner that is readily available at any PPG
automotive paint distributor. See yer Yeller Pages.

I'm not connected to PPG...I just use this stuff every day.

Old August 29th 03, 11:34 PM
Bruce A. Frank

I just like the smell of MEK (and Acetone for that matter). But, as I
was pointing out a PROPER respirator is essential ...the charcoal
filter, organic vapor type. With the correct filter there is no odor of
solvent what so ever. The presents of MEK in the dope and the fabric
glue is one of the reasons to use a good two part urethane or industrial
grade epoxy to paint the fuselage tubes (or the correct powder
coating).The fuselage coating does not have to resist immersion in MEK
but does have to handle it until the solvent evaporates out during
application.

Bob wrote:

Aye, don't confuse smell with being "bad".

MEK is one of the less harmfull solvents.

Don't get me wrong, you had better take proper precautions, or you
will end up like me, somewhat sensitized to MEK and Toulene and
others....chills, sweats, headache .....

Plenty of ventilation, and a mask. Pick your mask carefully and get
expect advice, a simple cloth mask is just downright STUPID. I get a
chuckle when I pass the "Hollywood Nails" type places and the staff
are wearing paper masks. They do nothing!.

MEK is a great solvent, but it has it's specific purposes. Solvents
are often picked by their evaporation properties as well as what they
disolve. What is a subsitute could depend on the evaporation
properties.

Material compatibility is HUGE! When I was an Manufacturing Engr at a
rather large aerospace company, what ate what, solvent vs material was
a huge part of my job. Testing for material compatibility with
solvents took weeks.

Use what the manufacturer recommended, follow the written instructions
provided call the manufacturer if you have questions. What if the
solvent you pick disolves something you really care about? How would
you know?

"Bruce A. Frank" wrote in message ...
What is the reason for not using MEK? If you are wearing a respirator
with the proper filtration and solvent proof gloves there is no impact
on your body. The same equipment is requisite for any non-aqueous
solvent. There may be "solvents" even some water based types that can
work "as well as" MEK, but from the stand point of cleaning, dissolving
everything, you just cannot beat MEK.

MEK may actually be part of the solvent in the dope (some I have used
sure smelled as though it contained MEK...an odor that, to me, smells
good)

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

While trying to find the time to finish mine.
Old August 30th 03, 08:14 PM
Ernest Christley

Bruce A. Frank wrote:
I just like the smell of MEK (and Acetone for that matter). But, as I
was pointing out a PROPER respirator is essential ...the charcoal
filter, organic vapor type. With the correct filter there is no odor of
solvent what so ever. The presents of MEK in the dope and the fabric
glue is one of the reasons to use a good two part urethane or industrial
grade epoxy to paint the fuselage tubes (or the correct powder
coating).The fuselage coating does not have to resist immersion in MEK
but does have to handle it until the solvent evaporates out during
application.

Just a little info.

I got a blurb about using appliance epoxy, so I ran a test. Painted a
piece of scrap tube with the appliance epoxy that you can buy at the
local hardware. Threw it in a coffe can of MEK. It was completely
submerged. Sat it on a shelf and literally forgot about it for several
weeks. Came back to use a little MEK, and there was my little piece of
tube. I had cleaned the black coating from the factory off of half of
it, sanded to bare metal. The black coated half had not paint, the bare
metal part still shined bright white.

I just have to believe that the stuff they sell to normal plebes can't
be as toxic as the 2-part, industrial grade, wear-your-hazmat-suit
stuff. I'll probably find out I'm completely wrong in a few years.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/