Pegasus or ....?

Old November 23rd 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike125

Default Pegasus or ....?

I'm looking to move up a level from my ASW 15. Ideally, I'd like an LS
4 but they are few and far between. A couple of Pegasuses (Pegasi?)
are listed on W&W and seem to be reasonably priced for what you get. I
am in the US and am aware of the 3000 hr issue but don't fly enough
for that to be a factor with the ones I've seen. After looking through
the RAS archives it seems that parts and support were/are an issue.
The most recent of these posts are from 2003. Can I assume that
support hasn't gotten any better? What are you Pegasus drivers
experiencing these days?

As an aside, my ASW 15 had an Experimental certificate when I bought
it. The original owner had a water ballast system installed and the
certificate changed from Standard to Experimental. The system had been
mostly removed when I bought it. I finished the process and had the
certificate changed back to Standard. My questions are 1) how
difficult is it to make the change from Standard to Experimental? and
2) wouldn't this make repairs a little less difficult?

Anyone have a nice LS 4 they are willing to part with?

Mike

Old November 24th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I can't help you much with the specific question, but I also own an
ASW 15 and have pondered what my next glider could be. I am looking at
at least a couple more years flying the 15 before that happens, but if
you are looking at the Pegs you might consider the ASW 20. Alot of
them out there in comparison and alot of good pilots to comment on it.
It is a good performer for the money. I was thinking for myself of a
Discus A if it could be found and/or afforded. The LS 4 is nice or a
DG. I think we are getting up around 30K and more now. Not sure if
anything else in the LS 4 price range would be better.
Do a search on R.A.S. and you will see a great deal of suggestions
and opinions on various types. The ASW 15 flys very nicely and I am
very happy with mine. Was it your first sailplane? How long have you
been flying it?
Now.......... maybe the ASW 24 or 27? Or maybe the LS 8 anyone?
Craig

I'm looking to move up a level from my ASW 15.

Old November 25th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 23, 9:43 am, Mike125 wrote:
I'm looking to move up a level from my ASW 15. Ideally, I'd like an LS
4 but they are few and far between. A couple of Pegasuses (Pegasi?)
are listed on W&W and seem to be reasonably priced for what you get. I
am in the US and am aware of the 3000 hr issue but don't fly enough
for that to be a factor with the ones I've seen.

Consider the ASW-19 or ASW-19B. Performance of my 19b was as good as
any Pegasus I flew with and you don't inherit the life limit problem.
Cost of used 19's is a lot less than the LS-4 and the performance
difference is not great.

When considering if you want experiment or standard airworthiness
cerificate don't forget to consider your life insurance needs if you
have a family. Some, perhaps many, insurance companies will make
flying experimental aircraft an uninsured risk.

Andy
Old November 26th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 23, 8:43 am, Mike125 wrote:
[...]

Pegasus is a very good choice. It doesn't have any bad habits. It is
built like a tank, simple and parts are available through the factory
without any issues whatsoever. Send me an email to jacek dot kobiesa
at clearwire dot net to remained me of it and I will send you their
contact. I bought from them hinges, hinge pins, pedals, etc. So, don't
buy from anybody that lack of factory support nonsense. In flight, if
you don't go above 85 kts. you can stay with almost every standard
class glider. Cockpit is big, I am 5'10", 186 lbs. and I still had a
room to spare. The only item that I had an issue with is very weak
wheel brake. I rebuild it in my glider with new shoes, springs, cable,
and it was still marginal. But don't take my word for it: go and fly
one, and then fly the LS-4, ASW-19, and whatever else you can and make
your own decision. I just sold mine and I put on it last 2 seasons
almost 200 hours.

Jacek
Pasco, WA
Old November 26th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
connekt

For the best of my knowledge the Pegasus is a France-produced version
of the ASW 19, with some marginal modifications. Good ship and very
stable, but I think you won't see much difference compared to the ASW
15. The real step-up on my opinion would be the ASW 20 (the L version
even better), which can really give you some satisfactions. On the
flip side, it requires attention in certain conditions, nothing
impossible but it's definitely less forgiving than the ASW 15, 19 or
the various Discus or LS4. But still the ASW 20 seems to be the best
bang for the buck.

Old November 26th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michel Talon

connekt wrote:
For the best of my knowledge the Pegasus is a France-produced version
of the ASW 19, with some marginal modifications.

Completely false. Only the fuselage is basically the same, the wings are
totally different. The handling and performances is better than
the ASW19, and much much better than the ASW15.

Good ship and very
stable, but I think you won't see much difference compared to the ASW
15.

The Pegase has the same performances as the LS4 and not much
different to the ASW20. The only problem, but very serious, is the
3000 hours limitation in the US. On the other hand it is far cheaper
than all those gliders, thanks to being produced in France.

--

Michel TALON

Old November 27th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Pegasus is a very good choice.

Agreed.

It doesn't have any bad habits..

Only one, IMHO. It is a handful in a cross wind take off. And, after
having seen 2 other 19's connect with solid objects after veering off to
the side in a xwind departure, I suspect that my opinion is shared with
others.

In my 2 or 3 years as a part owner in a 19, I can't remember a single
xwind take off that I really was happy with. OTOH, take offs in my LS6
in similar conditions are "no brainers".

Tony V.
Old November 29th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill[_11_]

wrote

Pegasus is a very good choice.

Excellent performance for the money.

It doesn't have any bad habits.

Well, keeping wings level in the early part of the takeoff run can be a bit
of a challenge, especially in even the lightest crosswind. It also tends to
drop the nose pretty dramatically and abruptly if you let speed bleed off in
a slip. Otherwise I find it to be a very honest and relatively docile
aircraft. Handling is excellent with very sensitive response in pitch and
yaw (roll is a bit less enthusiastic, as is typical for this type of
aircraft). Be prepared for some moderate PIO on the first takeoff or two.
Assembly is very straightforward assuming spring-loaded sleeves have been
retrofitted to aileron and spoiler connections, otherwise pinning these
connections can be awkward. A sleeve can not be added to the elevator
connection due to lack of space, but this connection is exposed enough that
using a safety pin is not a problem.

It is built like a tank, simple and parts are available through the
factory
without any issues whatsoever.

If you speak French.

Send me an email to jacek dot kobiesa
at clearwire dot net to remained me of it and I will send you their
contact. I bought from them hinges, hinge pins, pedals, etc. So, don't
buy from anybody that lack of factory support nonsense.

Support is available. Access to support for non-Francophones can be
challenging. My best advice to a potential Peg owner is to learn enough
French to be polite and have patience.

In flight, if
you don't go above 85 kts. you can stay with almost every standard
class glider. Cockpit is big, I am 5'10", 186 lbs. and I still had a
room to spare.

I am 6' 3" (1.9 meters) and 230 pounds (103.3 kilos). Aside from being a bit
tight in the shoulders, my Peg fits me just fine with a backpack parachute.
I do find the rudder pedals to be very narrow and have to fly wearing
specialized driving shoes with narrow soles to fit my feet into the pedals.
I also find that my knees fall exactly under the relatively sharp bottom
edge of the instrument panel (I added some split rubber hose as "edge
dressing" to provide a bit of cushioning).

The only item that I had an issue with is very weak
wheel brake. I rebuild it in my glider with new shoes, springs, cable,
and it was still marginal.

I find the brake, operated by a motorcycle-like lever on the stick,
acceptable when stopping from a slow roll, otherwise it's virtually useless.

But don't take my word for it: go and fly
one, and then fly the LS-4, ASW-19, and whatever else you can and make
your own decision. I just sold mine and I put on it last 2 seasons
almost 200 hours.

In my humble opinion, the Pegasus is a great aircraft and a good choice for
moderately experienced pilots as a first high-performance or competition
sailplane.

--
Bill
"TX"

Old November 29th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Nov 29, 3:22 am, "Bill" wrote:
snip
A sleeve can not be added to the elevator
connection due to lack of space, but this connection is exposed enough that
using a safety pin is not a problem.

snip

I've just brought one and the elevator is self-connecting - it's a
101a.
Old November 29th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Tony Verhulst wrote:

Pegasus is a very good choice.

Agreed.

It doesn't have any bad habits..

Only one, IMHO. It is a handful in a cross wind take off. And, after
having seen 2 other 19's connect with solid objects after veering off to
the side in a xwind departure, I suspect that my opinion is shared with
others.

In my 2 or 3 years as a part owner in a 19, I can't remember a single
xwind take off that I really was happy with. OTOH, take offs in my LS6
in similar conditions are "no brainers".

Tony V.

Oh, poop! in the above, wherever it says '19" substitute "peg". What a
brain fart.

Tony

Pegasus fo sale ? Jean Soaring 1 February 21st 07 03:44 AM
Pegasus time limit [email protected] Soaring 38 February 14th 07 08:35 AM
Pegasus instrument panel [email protected] Soaring 0 November 1st 06 11:42 PM
FS: Pegasus [email protected] Soaring 1 October 4th 05 10:05 PM
Pegasus AD [email protected] Soaring 9 August 29th 05 12:03 AM