Test Q's

Old June 13th 05, 07:05 PM

Default Test Q's

Choose one, please.

18. H540 CFI
Which statement is true concerning the aerodynamic
conditions which occur during a spin entry?
A) After a full stall, both wings remain in a stalled
condition throughout the rotation.
B) After a partial stall, the wing that drops remains in a
stalled condition while the rising wing regains and
continues to produce lift, causing the rotation.
C) After a full stall, the wing that drops continues in a
stalled condition while the rising wing regains and
continues to produce some lift, causing the rotation.

Old June 13th 05, 08:15 PM
Bob Gardner

According to the Airplane Flying Handbook, FAA-H-8083-3, in its discussion
of spins, "the rising wing is less stalled than the descending wing..."
which indicates to me that answer C is correct. "Less stalled than" means
that some lift is being developed.

This is not a black-and-white answer, though...it has been haggled over for
decades.

Bob Gardner

Old June 13th 05, 08:48 PM
Chris G.

And I would read that as "both wings are stalled"... It's a very poorly
written question or very well written (depending on your point-of-view).
I consider it poorly written because the answer is not clear in the
training materials AND not clear on the exam.

Chris

Old June 13th 05, 08:51 PM
Bob Gardner

This question has been on FAA knowledge exams since the 1960s, in one form
or another, and pilots have been trying to figure out what the FAA wants for
at least that long.

Bob Gardner

eenews.net...

Old June 13th 05, 09:06 PM
Bob Gardner

ASA's Test Prep and "Stick and Rudder" say that Answer A is correct. Dunno
what Gleim says. Kershner says that both wings are stalled, but further on
in the discussion he talks about "unequal lift." Hard to find an unequivocal
answer.

Bob Gardner

Old June 13th 05, 10:12 PM
Matt Whiting

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:

ASA's Test Prep and "Stick and Rudder" say that Answer A is correct. Dunno
what Gleim says. Kershner says that both wings are stalled, but further on
in the discussion he talks about "unequal lift." Hard to find an unequivocal
answer.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I do know the
following:

1) A stable spin mode can occur with both wings stalled, or
only one.

2) Stalled wings always "produce lift." The deeper into the
stall, the less lift they produce. If only slightly past
the critical angle ("partially stalled"?) the wing produces
nearly its max lift. If well past the critical angle ("full
stall"?) it produces less, but it would "regain" lift if the
angle decreased, even if it never actually unstalled.

I'd probably call it drag rather than lift in a stall. :-) Having said
that, I don't doubt for a minute that the wings will product unequal
amounts of drag as the airplane descends in the spin.

Matt
Old June 13th 05, 10:25 PM
jsmith

There is a movie documenting Richard Bach's late-70's barnstorming trip
around the country with a pair of Fleet biplanes (same name as the book,
but I cannot remember what the title is). In one segment, he attaches
flares to the wingtips and goes flying, ignites the flares and in the
course of the flight, stalls and spins the aircraft. It is at this point
the a picture makes clear what is happening with the wings.
The smoke from the flare on the outside (flying) wing streams behind the
wingtip, while the smoke from the flare on the inside (stalled) wing
wafts slowly upward. This was filmed from the air from the accompanying
aircraft.