Handhelds?

Old June 14th 05, 04:48 AM
Robert Barker

Default Handhelds?

The airport where I'm a student is pretty busy and I'm still getting used to
the high volume of radio traffic. I was wondering about getting a handheld
radio to listen to at work and at home and get used to the patter and that I
could also use later as a backup. I bought an I-COM IC-5 Sport but couldn't
hear anything from my house so I took it back. I'm about 5nm from the local
tower but line of sight might be an issue. I was wondering if anyone had
any suggestions...

Old June 14th 05, 05:34 AM

Well, if you just want to listen, I recommend getting a receiver only
instead. You can get a pretty nice scanner with airband at RadioShack
for $100.

That, however, won't solve your reception problem, though if you were
to go throug the trouble of putting a larger antenna on your roof, that
might.

My experience with a ground-based transmitter (the tower) is that 5 nm
away may be too far. However, you should be able to hear the
transmissions from the radios in aircraft in the pattern just fine.

-- dave j

Old June 14th 05, 05:37 AM
Ben Hallert

Just listen to the various ATC that broadcast over the internet. With
a handheld, you'll get hardly anything, especially at work.

http://www.liveatc.net/

Old June 14th 05, 07:11 AM

Hi Bob...

FIRST, I would find an airband HT that I like and buy it. I had a
friend who lost comms in the pattern at TOL on his first solo; pulled
his HT out of his bag, and saved the situation. Point made...

I was an airband scanner listener for many years...that did help a
little for me.

In my experience, an airband HT will receive "as good as" and usually
much better than scanners. The scanners have more features conducive
to listening, tho; that's why I have both.

At your house, you should have heard the planes just fine. If not,
you might have a bad radio, or you had the squelch adjusted too tight.
It should be set to 'just quiet' the radio.

The ground station (ATC) is another story. VHF comms are 'line of
sight' and the antennas ATC use have little "downtilt"-they want to
talk to the sky, not the ground like a police or fire dispatch. Also,
the antennas are probably on 60-100' towers, not the several hundred
(or thousand) feet your local PD/FD may use; so the ground reception
range will be less.

You may be further from the ground station than you think. 2 miles
North of OKC airport, I could not hear the ground side on my HT. I
found out later that the transmitter site was well South of the
airfield.

A simple outdoor or even attic antenna for receiving will greatly
improve your reception. I would suggest a desktop style scanner for
home They are much more convenient to use.

--Don
Don Byrer
Electronics Technician/Friendly but Sarcastic Pilot
FAA Airways Facilites/Tech Ops, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE
Amateur Radio KJ5KB
Instrument Pilot Commercial Student
PP-ASEL 30 Jan 2005 "-IA" 25 Mar 2005

Old June 14th 05, 11:21 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:48:06 -0600, "Robert Barker"
wrote:

I bought an I-COM IC-5 Sport but couldn't
hear anything from my house so I took it back. I'm about 5nm from the local
tower but line of sight might be an issue.

I'm surprised you didn't do better.

Sporty's sells a radio for just this purpose. Whether it would work
better than the handheld, I don't know, but it would be cheaper.

You should at least be able to hear the pilots in the air. No?
Sometimes when I am running down the battery in my handheld, I just
leave it on the desk tuned to 128.8. I hear a lot of stuff, but it's
all airborne.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 14th 05, 03:31 PM
John Gaquin

"Robert Barker" wrote in message

....I bought an I-COM IC-5 Sport but couldn't hear anything from my house
so I took it back. I'm about 5nm from the local tower but line of sight
might be an issue.

How high is the tower antenna? What's the terrain like?

Old June 14th 05, 04:52 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:48:06 -0600, "Robert Barker"
wrote in
::

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...

Back when Jim Weir was more helpful than cantankerous, he offered this
information:
http://www.google.dk/groups?selm=356...utput= gplain
http://www.google.dk/groups?selm=37d...utput =gplain

I recall another of his articles with even better instructions for
air-band antenna construction in about 1999, but couldn't locate it.

Old June 14th 05, 06:02 PM
RST Engineering

Cantankerous? MOI????

I only get my spineys up when being argued with something I truly believe to
be false.

Be that as it may, I just scanned all my articles from 1998-2000 and didn't
see anything. Are you perhaps referring to the j-pole (plumber's delight)
that I did back in 1988 and referenced by date in a 1999 article on how to
make a base station?

I'll be happy to try and post either a description here or upload the
drawings (if they still exist) onto the website. Just tell me the basics of
what I am looking for.

Jim

Old June 14th 05, 06:50 PM
john smith

RST Engineering wrote:
Be that as it may, I just scanned all my articles from 1998-2000 and didn't
see anything. Are you perhaps referring to the j-pole (plumber's delight)
that I did back in 1988 and referenced by date in a 1999 article on how to
make a base station?

Speaking of which...
what became of the project to reformat an upload to your website the
post 2000 articles?
Old June 14th 05, 07:28 PM
John Galban

wrote:

I bought an I-COM IC-5 Sport but couldn't
hear anything from my house so I took it back. I'm about 5nm from the local
tower but line of sight might be an issue.

I'm surprised you didn't do better.

It's very dependent on the terrain and any obstacles between you and
the tower antenna. My handheld and scanner both pick up the tower and
ground at PHX (4.5 miles away) loud and clear. I can even hear the
airliners on the ground. When I'm actually at PHX there are some
locations on the airport, such as behind some hangars, where I can't
get either tower or ground very clearly.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Vertex Handhelds Jeff Franks Piloting 20 November 28th 04 02:10 PM
What's next for Garmin handhelds? NEW 296 MichaelR Piloting 3 March 19th 04 12:50 PM
What's next for Garmin handhelds? Mike Rapoport Piloting 13 March 6th 04 03:58 PM
Handhelds and alkaline batteries Ross Richardson Piloting 44 August 10th 03 12:17 AM