Looking for Libelle information.

Old June 29th 12, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default Looking for Libelle information.

Back to my original question: How many are out there? Bad behavior?

The original Schueman and my bird + the FJ-1 were complete make-overs, there must be another 8 or 10 H-301,s with the leading edge mod and flap travel change.

Don't know any bad habits, the low horizontal will shake about 3 knots above stall because it is eating dirty air coming off the wing..........this has saved me a couple of times.

The gear is weak by todays standards and so is the aft fuselage. Try not to ground-loop her or you will be visiting the sailplane doctor. Keep her dry because she has wooden bones.
Enjoy,
JJ
Old June 29th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jun 28, 8:39*pm, 914Driver
wrote:

Back to my original question: *How many are out there? *Bad behavior?

Dan

Don't think we can tell you "how many are out there". They were not
done by Wil, but were done by the individual owners. So, unless every
person that has one with a leading edge mod that calls their plane a
"Schuemannized Libelle" steps up and answers, the world may never
know! I recall that N301RG has the leading edge mod. I also know
that Joe Emons was going to fly the Schuemann Libelle in a regionals
at Sunflower in the Standard Class. Back when they would allow you to
lock the flaps and fly then in Standard Class. After two attempted
launches with wing drop and off runway excursions, he said "Screw it!"
unlocked the flaps, and flew Open Class. Against Nimbus 2, Mescalero,
and I don't recall what all else. As Wil said in the writeup, don't
lock the flaps and fly Standard Class. You won't like it. And might
hurt it.

And the only bad behavior they have is running close enough to even
with an AS-W20 (when all are dry) that the 20 owner gets mad at you
because he can't leave you behind!

Steve
Old July 2nd 12, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 25, 2012 3:43:58 PM UTC-7, 914Driver wrote:
Hello all,

New guy here. I recently bought a Schuemanized Libelle and would like
more information on these ships. I heard there were only nine
manufactured, but I can't find that in writing anywhere. Because the
nose is closed up (CG tow hook now) air into the cabin is slight, I'm
curious how others have dealt with this.

If anyone here has information or a point of contact for these, I'd love
to hear from you.

Thanks, Dan

--
914Driver

I was briefly a part-owner of N152F. Serial # 30, I believe. Ex Joe Lincoln, via Judy Ruprecht through the San Diego Aviation Museum. It has sharpened leading edge, pointed nose, and tail vent displacing drag chute. It still lives in So. Cal. but has not flown for a few years. Needs rudder gimbal AD compliance - we have the parts, but not yet done.
I believe it may have been Indrebo modified.
Old January 21st 13, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Dan,
you have an extremely nice bird there! Wish I lived in the US! Here in the old world (Germany) it is hard to do such modifications.

I am just investigating what I can do to my Libelle. I won my first comp after 12 years in it without any modifications. I have added boundry layer fences between flaps and alierons (climbs better) and am currently fitting a low canopy, and will add a flap-fuselage teflon seal as soon as it gets warm enough to work outside.

May it be possible to get some pictures of your bird? I like the looks very much. And some details of the tail, the canopy setup and the wing-fuselage fillets would be great. And maybe a pic of the control rods in the fuselage about the battery case, there is a change somewere there, too.

Best regards, Volker
Old January 22nd 13, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:45:35 -0800, volkerappel69 wrote:

I am just investigating what I can do to my Libelle. I won my first comp
after 12 years in it without any modifications. I have added boundry
layer fences between flaps and alierons (climbs better) and am currently
fitting a low canopy, and will add a flap-fuselage teflon seal as soon
as it gets warm enough to work outside.

From your comments I guess you're flying an H.301. I fly an H201, so I am
uncertain if the following will help you:

My 201 has a full span turbulator in the underside of the wing, placed
just in front of where the undercambered section starts. Subjectively, it
improves the high speed polar and the BGA agree, because it adds 1 to the
BGA handicap (from 89 to 90). It is an easy and cheap modification to
make. Glasfaser (www.streifly.de) support this modification, so ask them
if it will work on your glider.

Glasfaser also supply and fit wing root fairings and will know the EASA
rules about fitting them.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Libelle Canopy Tom Watson Soaring 4 February 27th 12 11:59 PM
FS: Libelle 201b Tim Hanke Soaring 8 May 6th 09 12:18 AM
Standard Libelle Pam Kurstjens Soaring 4 May 22nd 05 05:40 PM
Libelle owners f.blair Soaring 1 June 23rd 04 03:05 AM
Libelle Gap Sealing Owain Walters Soaring 4 April 11th 04 07:13 PM