Don't forget to pre-flight your frabulator!

Old September 9th 04, 03:34 PM
C J Campbell

Default Don't forget to pre-flight your frabulator!

Yesterday someone had left the TV on and I as I was taking a short break I
saw that the TV soap "Days of Our Lives" had an aviation sequence on it. It
had two guys flying a civilian twin somewhere; I have no idea what the plot
was, but it was no doubt incredibly silly.

Anyway, they are apparently flying at night. You can tell because it is dark
and you can see a reflection from the rotating beacon inside the cockpit.
The beacon must have been mounted on the nose or something. It was like
watching an old gangster movie where the hoodlum invariably holes up in a
hotel room with an irritating flashing neon sign outside the window.

The pilots were yelling at someone to "Get out of the way! Get out of the
way!" through the windshield. Finally, using all their strength and
straining at the controls, it takes both of them to begin evasive action by
turning the yoke slightly. Despite this tremendous effort, they still hit
whatever it was they saw. I did not see what they hit, but they managed to
regain control of the airplane and continue flying with no more concern
about it.

I had started laughing so hard I had to wee. Walking back into the room
somewhat later, I saw the show was still on. The pilots were now flying
through a severe thunderstorm, represented by buckets of water being thrown
on the windscreen. They were obviously very macho and very dramatic. The
beacon is still flashing, but it is not as bright because dawn is breaking.
One of pilots says they have a signal ordering them to turn around. The
other pilot irritatedly says "I'll give them a signal!" and grabs his
headset and puts it on to make a radio call. This is the only time either
pilot is wearing his headset. He says, "Basic Black! Basic Black! This is
Basic Black! Come in!" Without waiting for a reply he rips off his headset
and throws it across the cockpit. "Radios must have failed when we took
off!" Just then a high pitched beeper goes off:
"beep-beep-beep-beep-beep..." The pilot fails to notice it until the
co-pilot calls it to his attention. The pilot then jumps with a start and
says, "Someone has locked onto us and is ready to fire! I think I can
re-program the frabulator through other unintelligible gobbledy gook...."

I wanted to wait around to see if the show could top this, but I had a
student. Besides, having to wade through the rest of the "Days of Our Lives"
sequences would probably have made me physically ill. Still, you wonder how
many people believe that this is how small planes operate. I mentioned it to
my student, a nurse, and she said, "sounds like their aviation is about as
accurate as their medicine." Nevertheless, it turned out she was a devoted
"Days of Our Lives" fan. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, don't forget to preflight your
frabulator, or else you might get shot down.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

If you go around beating the Bush, don't complain if you rile the animals.

Old September 9th 04, 03:48 PM
Kai Glaesner

Anyway, the moral of the story is, don't forget to preflight your
frabulator, or else you might get shot down.

Added an item on the checklist since Pal Sengupta mentioned he is flying IFR
with guided Missiles under his wings... ;-)

Have Fun

Kai

Old September 9th 04, 04:16 PM
C J Campbell

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Yesterday someone had left the TV on and I as I was taking a short break I
saw that the TV soap "Days of Our Lives" had an aviation sequence on it.

It
had two guys flying a civilian twin somewhere; I have no idea what the

plot
was, but it was no doubt incredibly silly.

Ah, if you are really interested in knowing what was going on, here is the
plot summary:

http://www.soapoperafan.com/days/wednesday.html

It was even worse than I thought. The plane did not look like a jet; it
looked more like a flight simulator that the TV crew had borrowed from some
local flight school.

Old September 9th 04, 04:50 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message
om...
Anyway, the moral of the story is, don't forget to preflight your
frabulator, or else you might get shot down.

Added an item on the checklist since Pal Sengupta mentioned he is flying

IFR
with guided Missiles under his wings... ;-)

Hehehe...I didn't say I HAD them, just that I had the ability to put them
on if necessary!

Actually one of the Botswanan Bulldogs that is now at Haverfordwest
came into the country with pylons under the wings. They had to take
them off to get it civilianised. Now, however, they are trying to get
permission from the CAA to put them back on again. Ray plans to
put smoke canisters on them.

Paul

Old September 9th 04, 05:04 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message
om...
Anyway, the moral of the story is, don't forget to preflight your
frabulator, or else you might get shot down.

Added an item on the checklist since Pal Sengupta mentioned he is flying

IFR
with guided Missiles under his wings... ;-)

http://www.warbirdalley.com/bulldog.htm

See "Specifications - Armament".

Paul

Old September 9th 04, 08:05 PM
Bob Gardner

Guess I would have missed that one anyway, since I don't watch soaps, but I
did pick up a movie while channel surfing a week or so ago. The stewardess
was flying a 747 and reporting her airspeed as being 180-190 knots; the
windscreen was shattered but the relative wind didn't mess up her hair. None
of the relative wind got back to the cabin, either. As a communications
freak I got a big kick out of "Come in, come in!!! Do you read me?" "I read
you loud and clear!" repeated ad nauseam.

Bob Gardner

Old September 9th 04, 10:54 PM
Ash Wyllie

C J Campbell opined

[...]

What happened today? Inquiring minds want to know.

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Old September 10th 04, 04:10 AM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

[SNIP]

The purpose of the show is to get people to watch. In this case they
got you to watch (a lot it appears), so they had a good show If you
find yourself getting 'dragged' in to a soap, it's because they are so
over the top and stupid that you somehow can't stop watching.
So actually, sounds like they have pretty good writors
Old September 10th 04, 04:16 AM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

Still, you wonder how
many people believe that this is how small planes operate.

My first wife watched that show religiously and believed that everything she saw on
it was absolute truth.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old September 10th 04, 04:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Sengupta wrote:

Actually one of the Botswanan Bulldogs that is now at Haverfordwest
came into the country with pylons under the wings. They had to take
them off to get it civilianised. Now, however, they are trying to get
permission from the CAA to put them back on again. Ray plans to
put smoke canisters on them.

Kupper airport had a open day some years back. Someone brought in an old liason plane
all painted up in Army colors with a set of missiles under the wings. As he was doing
his runup, the plane behind him asked on the UNICOM "Hey, are those things real?".
The pilot spun the L-bird around on one wheel until he had the other plane in front
and replied "Do you *really* want to know?"