Private airport or small field for landout?

Old May 26th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Private airport or small field for landout?

Hi Charles. I fly just west of you guys in sylacauga AL with central Alabama soaring assoc. Welcome to the fun world of low performance xc soaring! I fly a 1-26 which is even lower down the performance polar than your PW.

Before you work on field identification, there is a more important prerequisite imop. That is, take some time and invest in a bunch of pattern tows and get very very good at spot landings. Find out exactly how short you can land straight in and over obstacles. You need to know exactly what you and your ship are capable of. Also learn to identify this distance visually from 1,000ft. For me and my ship, at 1,000 ft I can land in a clearing that is the length of my index finger.

Once you get this down, the world of where you can put your bird down safely really opens up. I don’t real restrict myself anymore to established airstrips. I have found that landing out in property chosen fields has led to way less surprises than heading for a strip that really isn’t there anymore or turns out to be totally unmaintained and over grown.

I have more than 30 off field landings (not airstrips) and knock on wood, have never scratched a thing. But the bigger bonus has been the incredible folks I have met and the adventures that xc has been.

Good luck on your journey. If you need any tips on going far with low performance birds drop me a pm or swing over to sylacauga for a weekend and I would be happy to team fly some with you.
Dan
Old May 27th 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Charles -

I assume you have all your badges up to an including Silver Altitude and Duration. If not, I'd work on those as they are great training to get you ready for doing the spot landing as Dan suggested.

And XC soaring!

Lou
Old May 27th 20, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

What’s worked really well for me is to buzz around with my Cub looking at land out options. If you have access to a power airplane go practice“ engine out landings” at possible land out sites.
Old May 28th 20, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

"Land in the dirt, you won't get hurt" has, so far, worked well for me.

Farmers don't get worked up about crop damage when it's not even an inch high.

With private strips, width can be a deal/glider breaker. I passed up one in the book because the stated width looked a tight squeeze. And I once saw the green (corn) stains on the tips of an 18m self launcher. The owner had the look of a narrow escape on him. The private strips I have used were known to my local club as wide enough for gliders. The owners have been hospitable and happy to talk airplanes. There's the rare one that won't allow aerotow retrieve because of liability considerations.

You can compare the width to power pole spacing.

No matter how hard you study the local fields and airports, the day will likely come when you have to evaluate fields from the air. It's been recommended for aspiring XC pilots to evaluate possible fields from the air and drive over for a look.
Old May 28th 20, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I spent 29 years with hang gliders, which have much better "short field" capabilities than sailplanes. After a LOT of outlandings in really questionable fields, I was amazed at he number of other pilots who looked at those same fields from the ground and said, "No Problem!"

Believe me, a field you are walking on looks a LOT bigger than it does from the air.

Ask any newbie Naval Aviator looking down at the deck of an aircraft carrier for the first time.
Old May 28th 20, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Amen to that! A good example is Estancia Municipal in NM, just a hop and a skip south of Moriarty. It was always advertised as landable for gliders by the locals. On a day with not so good weather (hard to imagine but they do exist in NM!), I took a drive down there to see it from the ground. I am glad I did! The runway is narrow and there is a berm on one side. A =15m ship may be ok but a 20+m with low wings like mine may be in trouble.

Uli
'AS'

P.S.: the 'The Old Mill' restaurant on Rt.41 in Estancia has excellent Mexican food, which made the trip even worth more! :-)

I've outlanded at Estancia three or four times when my final glide calculations simply did not agree with the weather. It isn't really a problem if you land on the centerline with your wings level, and then drift left or right on rollout to place one wingtip on the runway with the high wing above the berm, brush and runway reflectors. I wouldn't consider an aerotow out of the strip unless the wind was straight down the runway and I had a wing runner who knew what he was doing.

However, I second the "Old Mill" restaurant recommendation.
Old May 28th 20, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 7:44:14 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
[...]

I fly in the mountains of the west. Very few fields where I fly, but where I grew up in Idaho, I would not want to land those lowed fields. I used to work pea harvest and there would be dirt clods, hard dirt clods that could take your landing gear out and break your back. So "land in the dirt and you won't get hurt" is again, a guideline, not a rule. Lots of plowed fields are well plowed many are not.
Old May 28th 20, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

"Land in the dirt, you won't get hurt" has, so far, worked well for me.
Snip...

...So "land in the dirt and you won't get hurt" is again, a guideline, not
a rule. Lots of plowed fields are well plowed many are not.

Heh. There's a difference between plowed(-only) and plowed-n-disked. This
"Duh!" moment was driven home to me on short final when - approaching a
plowed-only field - I belatedly realized the plowed-n-disked one adjacent,
with its (barely visible) furrows slightly catty-corner to the minimal breeze,
was the considerably better one. Moments later the plowed-only field had its
biggest-yet clod standing atop it...the new King of Clods!

Good thing I was flying a 1-26...torn fabric is a lot easier to fix than
broken gear, fuselage or (youch) coccyx!

Bob - never seen Elvis - W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old May 28th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Jonathan St. Cloud wrote on 5/28/2020 5:40 AM:
[...]

"You don't get hurt in the dirt" is best applied in eastern Washington State,
where the dirt is more like face powder and sand, and plowing doesn't produce the
kinds of clumps/clods you see in Kansas and other places with "real" dirt and lots
more moisture. It's also a pretty good mantra in much of Idaho and eastern Oregon.

Old May 28th 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:52:53 PM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:
This is an interesting post. Where are you flying from that you seem to be totally alone? I've flown from many operations, all with an active cross country community. In any such operation, there is a vast amount of local experience with the nearby private airports. Most of the laudable ones will have been landed at. The unfriendly farmers will be known.

John then you are lucky. I live in one of the wealthiest states in the US but there are only about 4 active XC pilots in the entire state. And I think only 2 regularly fly in our state. Soaring is just not a popular thing here. Probably 9 sailplanes in the entire state. One small club on the opposite end.
Even the HG/PG pilots seem to be doing way less XC than they were 10 years ago.
Adventure has fallen out of favor.