PW-5 NewLetter from Francois Pin

Old December 21st 03, 01:03 AM

Default PW-5 NewLetter from Francois Pin

As received:
------------------

This e-mail goes to all the World Class enthusiasts in North America for
whom

I have an e-mail address, and to a few friends of the World Class over the

World. Please forward to whomever you think may be interested.
=======================

I hope this finds you in great spirits for the holiday season. 2003 has been

a good year for the World Class, despite the generally poor weather in the

Eastern US. Time to think about 2004. Here are a few news and plans.

- SSA Convention, February 5-7: Our typically well-attended breakfast event

will be on Saturday morning this year, instead of the Thursday spot we used

have. That is superb, as it should allow even more people to attend. See you

there. This year again there will be a PW-5 on display at the Convention,

thanks to Charles Yeates, and also possibly a PW-6. Everyone who has flown
this

two-seater loves it. At that price, you can't beat the fun for the buck, and

think it is going to become a great workhorse for many Clubs.

- Speaking about the ships: Rafal Mikke of Bielsko 1 recently sent me the

following: Good news is that we made progress with the altitude limit. The

structure passed the necessary static tests. There is a very interesting
video

showing the bent wings of our B1-PW-5 (we also made it for Swidnick PW-5s) .
Now

I am completing my project to build in a certified O2 system. All systems

meet proper MIL and MS specifications. Hopefully, we'll hear more news
about

that at the Convention.

- And further good news about the ships come from Charles Yeates: The PW-6

received its type certificate in the US, FAA Type Certificate No. G18CE
issued

December 5, 2003. Plans are for Dick Johnson to be doing his magic test work

on the PW-6 in Dallas following the SSA Convention. That is very great
news.

Look for the flight tests results in Soaring Magazine, probably in a midyear

issue. (As you are probably aware, the PW-5 received its type certificate in

the US some years ago. I changed mine from Experimental to regular
certificate

through a very simple process).

- For those of you who may want to try and fly in new horizons, our friends

from Poland have extended an open invitation to fly in their 2004 National

World Class Championship. The contest will be held at the University of
Rzeszow

gliding center in Bezmiechowa during August 7-21. Rafal Mikke tells me:
The

location near the Carpathian Mountains is beautiful - excellent for hiking,

fishing, sailing, so it is an offer not only for very interesting flying but
for

having good time by families as well. We can help you find at least 2
gliders

for about $75 per day, and of course accommodation, cars, etc. So, if you
are

interested, contact Rafal at:

- While we are talking about International events, some very interesting
news

concerning the proposed organization of the post-2006 World Gliding

Championship(s) came from Eric Mozer, our representative at the IGC bureau,
and was

also posted in the last issue of the british magazine Sailplane and Gliding:
The

future World Championships of the FAI Classes would be organized in two
major

events: a "Racing" WGC including the Open, 18m, and 15m classes, and a

"Sports" WGC including the Standard, World Class, and Club classes. These
two WGC

events would be held on even years beginning in 2008 with bids due in 2005.

Additionally, the report recommends a maximum of two pilots per class per
NAC.

I think this is very good news for the World Class, with a renewed
expression

of support from IGC. We showed a strong presence at this year's World

Championship of the World Class in Nitra (you've all seen the wonderful
reports of

Team Captain Conrad Suechting on the SSA Website, haven't you?), and from
the

growing enthusiasm of our members here, I am sure that we will continue our

strong support of the IGC and WGC events.

- A proposal to create a PW-5 ladder in the US was sent by Janusz Kecik from

Poland. In essence, this would be similar to the year-long ladder contests

held in several countries, in which pilots can fly cross-country tasks of
their c hoice from anywhere in the country, anyday, and submit their best
flights.

This would be for PW--5 only, and factors would be used to equalize regions
and

types of tasks. At the end of the season, the three best flights for each
pilot

would be used to calculate the pilot's total score. The yearly winners would

be recognized at one of the yearly events of the World Class Soaring

Association, maybe during the SSA Convention. What do you think? Would this
be of

interest to those eager to fly cross-country?

- Youth Support Program: This year again, we have several Youth
Sponsorships,

including the Paul McCready Sponsorship, available to support young pilots
in

participating in the World Class National Championship. The Sponsorships

cover all registration fees, including up to ten tows. Pass the word around

young pilots who you think may be interested and tell them to contact me at:

-Also, FOREIGN FRIENDS, WCSA will have several sponsorships this year to

specifically support our FOREIGN FRIENDS who want to join us and fly in this

year's US National contest and the 2nd America's Cup of World Class Soaring
that

will take place together in Hobbs, July 20-27. Contact me if interested, and

please pass the word around. I'll send more info about the 2nd America's Cup
soon

(remember the 1st AmCup took place in Uvalde in 2002 and was a great
success).

-Other Sponsorships: Remind those who may be interested that the US Women

Soaring Pilot Association also has sponsorships to support women flying in a

World Class or 1-26 Championship (contact:
). Also, the SSA
Youth

Program (contact John Campbell at
) has sponsorships to

support young pilots in contests.

- Speaking about our Youth Program in the World Class Soaring Association

(WCSA), I have recently received the following, which gives an example of
the

impact that the Class has on our young pilots of the future.... (and quite
an

encouragement to continue our efforts in the Youth Program...): Posted by
Mike Glatiotis on November 05, 2003 at 13:54:38: In Reply to: A

HREF="http://www.sac.ca/wwwboard/messages/4739.html"Encouraging Young

Competitors/A posted by Charles Yeates on SAC November 04, 2003 at
20:13:46: The world class ships make sense, and not only for those young
competitors. The fleet of PW5's that was imported to Invermere has been a
large part of

the catalyst for club growth and pilot advancement. Several have already
traded

hands with the original owners moving up to advanced ships, all the while

building the club base of active cross country involvement. They certainly
have

attracted the favorable attention of the young members of the club, who for
the

most part drool at the potential of being able to fly them.

WCSA has no fees or dues, but donations to our Youth Program are always

welcomed to allow us to support even more young pilots. Contact me if this
is your

time of year to think about donations. WCSA is a non-profit organization, so

your donations are tax-deductible. WCSA, 4917 West Summit Circle, Knoxville,

TN. 37919.

- Contests for 2004. Make your plans:

(1) After the dreadful weather that practically shut down our National in

2003, the 2004 National will take place in Hobbs, New Mexico, which is
legendary

for its superb weather. As announced in Soaring Magazine, the dates are July

20-29. I think this is going to be a great one.

(2) After organizing the first and very successful World Class Regional in

2003, Frank and Jayne Reid have offered to do it again in 2004. With the

National taking place in the central region, this will be our "2004 Eastern
Regional"

(also called Region 5 World Class Regional) and should take place in May at

Bermuda High, South Carolina. Knowing Frank and Jayne's hospitality, this
will

be a great place to be in May. Contact:
, or:

Other details to come soon in Soaring Magazine.

(3) The Western Regional was organized this year in conjunction with the Air

Sailing Sports contest (which Jim Gager and PW-5 won, by the way. Well done,

Jim). Should we try and arrange the same for 2004?

(4) I understand that Frank and Jayne have also placed a bid with the SSA
Sit e Selection Committee to host the 2005 World Class National. That is

wonderful. Thanks, Frank and Jayne. (And guess what? The rumor has it that
they have

"World Championship" in their mind for the future...).

Just to give us good winter dreams, our friend Keith Willis of Australia

sends us news from the beginning of their season the In the last 5
weeks, I

have flown over 60 hours in the PW-5, trying to pass the 1000 hrs, during
our

Summer, only need 67 more hours. Longest flight was 7 hr and 30 mins, and
best

height above

ground was 15,100 feet. Wishing You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Regards from Keith. Ah!! I've got to find a way to spend my winter
vacations

in the southern emisphere...

More news to come soon after the Convention. Looking forward to seeing at
the

WCSA breakfast all who can make it there. Until then, all my best wishes to

you for a wonderful Holiday Season and a new year 2004 filled with many
happy

flights.

Francois

--