Games related to airplanes for children

Old March 1st 05, 05:22 PM
Top Spin

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 05:55:58 GMT, "Dallas"
wrote:

"Top Spin"
Are you saying that it won't run at all on a 2 year old PC or that it
will underperform in some way (slow, fuzzy graphics, etc.)?

For example: If the computer is a 2 year old Pentium 900 with an on board
64k graphics card... it will "run" but at a frame rate so slow that it will
effectively be "not running".

Most of us have 2.5+ Ghz processors and $300+ graphic accelerator cards.

Can you call and find out what the computer's specs are and post them here?

I called, but my daughter doesn't know. Is there a utility I can get
that she can run on the PC to display the specs?

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old March 1st 05, 05:56 PM
Dallas

"Top Spin"
I called, but my daughter doesn't know. Is there a utility I can get
that she can run on the PC to display the specs?

(This is for WinXP I can only hope its the same for Win2000.)

Yeah, on WinXP she can got to Start-Settings-Control Panel-System

On the General tab she will find "Computer:" and the name and speed of the
processor along with the amount of installed RAM.

For the Graphics card Start-Settings-Control Panel-System-Display-press
the Advanced button-Adapter tab

Dallas

Old March 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Carl Frisk

Or run dxdiag for adapter info.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Top Spin"

Old March 1st 05, 09:20 PM
Top Spin

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:56:38 GMT, "Dallas"
wrote:

"Top Spin"
I called, but my daughter doesn't know. Is there a utility I can get
that she can run on the PC to display the specs?

(This is for WinXP I can only hope its the same for Win2000.)

Yeah, on WinXP she can got to Start-Settings-Control Panel-System

On the General tab she will find "Computer:" and the name and speed of the
processor along with the amount of installed RAM.

For the Graphics card Start-Settings-Control Panel-System-Display-press
the Advanced button-Adapter tab

Yes, my Win2K system has the System applet. I don't see where it sows
the processor speed or the graphics card or video memory.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old March 1st 05, 09:49 PM
Top Spin

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:39:45 GMT, "Carl Frisk"
wrote:

Or run dxdiag for adapter info.

Cool, that seems to do the trick.

Now, what all information do I need her to write down?

I tested my own laptop and desktop. Are the parameters listed below
the ones I need to get for my grandson's PC? Any others?

Thanks

My Desktop Computer:

System Tab:
OS: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195)
Processor: Intel Pentium III ~995 MHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 232MB used, 1015MB available

Display tab:
Name: Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
Approx Total Memory: 4.0 MB
Monitor: SyncMaster 173P

My Notebook Computer:

System Tab:
OS: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195)
System MOdel: HP Omnibook PC
Processor: Intel Pentium III ~60 MHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 209MB used, 1315MB available

Display tab:
Name:ATI RAGE MOBILITY-M AGP
Approx Total Memory: 8.0 MB
Monitor: Digital Flat Panel

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old March 1st 05, 11:45 PM
Dallas

"Top Spin"
Are the parameters listed below
the ones I need to get for my grandson's PC? Any others?

Yup... that would do it...

Dallas

Old March 2nd 05, 12:51 AM
Top Spin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:02:37 -0700, "Tom Garrett"
wrote:

Yes, it's Microsoft Train Simulator. No joystick or Yoke needed, just the
keyboard. If he can read, which he should being 8, he should be able to use
it and have a ball. BUT, driving trains is not half the fun of flying
planes. What I would suggest, is ask him which he likes best, planes or
trains, and take it from there.
Tom

I'm guessing that Train Simulator does not demand nearly the processor
or graphics power that FS does. Right?

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old March 2nd 05, 06:50 AM
Dallas

"Top Spin"
I'm guessing that Train Simulator does not demand nearly the processor
or graphics power that FS does. Right?

I have no idea... :-)

http://www.microsoft.com/games/trainsimulator/

Dallas

Old March 2nd 05, 06:13 PM
Ace

Hi there,

My son just turned nine - however he has been flying FS2004 since he
was about seven.

Granted there is a lot he does not understand about flying (I.E nav,
GPS, etc...) However he has no problems choosing an aircraft, and
flying it. I had to do quite a bit of coaching initially in order to
get him to understand the joystick and what each button is for. I
found that flying in external view helped him tremendously. Now days
he flys quite well (even the odd landing) I have realism set to easy
for him and I have turned off "detect crashes"

My daughter who is the same age (twins) occasionally jumps in too and
flys around.

I would certainly recommend it. Just bear prepared for some coaching
early on.

Ian
www.fstv.us