GPS vs Gliding Computer

Old May 27th 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Reid

Default GPS vs Gliding Computer

Right after I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a Stemme. I've never flown a glider with either a GPS unit or a gliding computer, and I see that the Stemme comes with both. What do you get with one that you don't get with the other, and vice versa?

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike
Old May 28th 18, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 3:23:37 PM UTC-7, Mike Reid wrote:
Right after I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a Stemme. I've never flown a glider with either a GPS unit or a gliding computer, and I see that the Stemme comes with both. What do you get with one that you don't get with the other, and vice versa?

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike

Most, if not all, glide computers rely on GPS, so the Stemme GPS must be for navigation only.

Tom
Old May 28th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Reid

That's why I was asking. The Stemme S12 on display in Reno this spring had a Garmin Aera 660 and an LX9070. Having never used a gliding computer, I was curious what capabilities the LX9070 was missing that necessitated the Garmin.

Mike
Old May 28th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Monday, 28 May 2018 20:50:46 UTC+1, Mike Reid wrote:
That's why I was asking. The Stemme S12 on display in Reno this spring had a Garmin Aera 660 and an LX9070. Having never used a gliding computer, I was curious what capabilities the LX9070 was missing that necessitated the Garmin.

Mike

They are both computers which know where they are and display it on a moving map. They both give navigation advice and airspace warnings. However, their software and other features are optimized for different types of flying - whereas the Stemme is designed for both types!

Things the Garmin might offer, not available in the LX:
Detailed airfield details and plans
Integration with different weather and traffic services
Local fuel prices
IFR map mode
Obstacles database
Quicker lookup of map features using touch screen

Things the LX offers
Rules of glider competition and badge flying
Specific navigation and performance reporting ref the above
Route optimisation for some task types
Accurate wind calculation
Glide information to waypoint, end of task, and alternates, taking into account wind, glider performance and Macready (expected average thermal strength)
Artificial horizon
Voice warnings for all sorts of things
Very customisable multiple screen layouts
High performance vario and speed to fly indicator with audio
Integration with glider hardware - e.g. recommended flap setting with flap sensor, gear sensor, link to radio to load frequency for near airfields (Garmin also offers that)
Creation of secure 'IGC format' log file suitable for glider competitions and badges

Apart from all the above, it can be useful to have more than one GPS, for example having them on different zoom settings. And some things are more easily done with a touch screen (which the Garmin has), others with knobs and buttons (the LX approach).
Old May 28th 18, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The Garmin GPS does nothing for soaring.Â* If you want to use the Stemme
as a touring machine, traveling from airport to airport, it could be
handy there, but I don't believe it brings anything to the Stemme that
the soaring computer cannot give.Â* You can find the user manuals for
various soaring computers online to see what they can offer.

--
Dan, 5J

Computer help (Got) [email protected] Home Built 3 July 26th 08 03:55 AM
computer lynas Piloting 0 June 24th 08 07:43 AM
New computer Cal Vanize Simulators 0 April 6th 06 05:28 AM
Sim Computer Lifelists Simulators 8 January 6th 05 01:35 AM
WTD: gliding computer Ingar F Pedersen Soaring 0 July 22nd 04 02:09 PM