NAS HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE

Old April 5th 04, 05:23 AM
Steve Wanasek

Default NAS HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE

Could anyone direct me to a site to get historical information on the NAS
HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE bases. Both bases were in Kansas and if memory
serves me correct they were both closed in the late '50's.
Thanks for any and all help,
Steve

Old April 5th 04, 06:17 AM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Steve
Wanasek wrote:

Could anyone direct me to a site to get historical information on the NAS
HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE bases. Both bases were in Kansas and if memory
serves me correct they were both closed in the late '50's.

I seemed to find info doing google searches. I visited the former
NAS Hutchinson about a year ago. It is now largely overgrown, but
the concrete ramps and runways are still there. Some of the buildings
are being used by the county and a local university. Much of the
rest of the activity is a mid-sized company that uses the base to
build, store, and test emergency vehicles such as ambulances.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old April 5th 04, 01:41 PM

Try www.airbasebooks.com/
All of the info in there with photos.

Old April 5th 04, 04:10 PM
Tex Houston

"Steve Wanasek" wrote in message
Could anyone direct me to a site to get historical information on the NAS
HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE bases. Both bases were in Kansas and if memory
serves me correct they were both closed in the late '50's.
Thanks for any and all help,
Steve

The site I recommend is www.google.com , NAS Olathe returns 1,780 hits and
NAS Hutchison returns about 25,000.

Regards,

Tex Houston

Old April 6th 04, 12:10 PM
mah

Steve Wanasek wrote:

Could anyone direct me to a site to get historical information on the NAS
HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE bases. Both bases were in Kansas and if memory
serves me correct they were both closed in the late '50's.
Thanks for any and all help,
Steve

Steve,

NAS Olathe is now New Century Air Center (IXD). May be wrong, but the
only remaining buildings are the hanger (used by the Army Reserve) and
one of the base officer quarters (used as a museum).

Did research in their library several times before they had to downsize
the collection. The museum was in the base commander's and XO's
residences. One building was lost when a nearby building changed the
ground water flow and collapsed the basement.

Try http://www.museumstuff.com/rec/org_20020201_15817.html for some
details and a phone number. Currently reorganizing my notes and can't
get to the contact card right now for my sponsor at the museum.

If my mind isn't totally covered in cobwebs, I believe John Glenn took
pilot training at NAS Olathe.

Hope this helps.

MAH
Old April 11th 04, 11:29 PM
Steve Wanasek

"mah" wrote in message ...
Steve Wanasek wrote:

Could anyone direct me to a site to get historical information on the

NAS
HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE bases. Both bases were in Kansas and if

memory
serves me correct they were both closed in the late '50's.
Thanks for any and all help,
Steve

Thanks to all who answered my query.
This is really a great group.