Trailer license problem

Old May 29th 18, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer license problem

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 5:04:40 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I am having issues with getting registration in California for a Florida trailer. Paperwork has been
back and forth to Sacramento THREE times now. Going to the DMV again tomorrow. I had a bill
of sale from pervious owner, that included the trailer. He even got new new FL plates for the trailer
and I have his FL registration. CA is insisting on a title from FL even though they don't issue them.

Will see what happens tomorrow...

Went through this recently with my purchase from TX. Local (California) DMV office give me the runaround. Lat time in they gave me all the needed paperwork, but wouldn't process it until i returned with a title. Discovered that a nearby small town DMV office was much more laid back, so went there.. Handed in the papers, didn't provide back story and walked out with a plate! :-)

5Z

People really need to consider resale when buying and selling trailers. Hurts the next guy in line if you don't have a title for the trailer.
Old May 29th 18, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Depends a bit on how "creative" you're willing to be. Suffice to say that most officers don't know the difference between a Komet, Cobra, Eberle... you get the picture. Assuming you can come up with a plate for a similar vintage glider trailer in your home state, it's not impossible to believe that plate might somehow end up on the trailer in question long enough to tow it back. Once you have it back home, you can take a bit more time getting everything worked out.

Old May 29th 18, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 6:32:33 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
And if you’re lucky and have two.........only need one plate.......to help the revenuers with less paperwork.

The problem with using one plate on two trailers in Michigan anyway is when the cop checks the serial ## on the manufactures plate, right front side of trailer. If it doesn't match the registration ## they will take that plate = $75 Plus a $150 dollar fine, now you have to replace that plate $75 then buy another plate $75. So that's $350 if he didn't have your trailer towed away to a storage yard you are lucky. The other thing is your insurance wont cover your trailer if its not your trailer, hence your correct registration.
That happened to my buddy and his boat trailer. So now I have now bought plates for all 12 of my trailers, yes 12. But now I'm a legal boy scout.
Glen
Old May 29th 18, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sometimes, simply going to another DMV office can solve the problem.Â* I
had a similar problem registering my trailer, purchased in TX, at the
Moriarty MVD office.Â* I went to the Tijeras office, the nice lady there
said, "You went to Moriarty, didn't you?Â* Bring the trailer to me for a
VIN inspection and we'll get you fixed right up."Â* And she did.Â* In New
Mexico, there are state run offices and there are contract run offices.Â*
Maybe that was the difference.

On 5/28/2018 6:04 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 11:49:13 AM UTC-7, PapaTango of Indiana wrote:
I purchased a glider. FAA registration was done with the FAA bill of sale, had no problem. The trailer and the glider are in Pennsylvania, have no license plate and have only a 10 years old registration from Florida. It never accrued to me that my Indiana state license office will not accept the FAA bill of sale for the license plate application. Good lesson to you all, to have a separate bill of sale from your own state’s official motor vehicle form. Now, I have to chase the seller from overseas to sign a new form. However, there are more issues. This trailer never had a title being registered in Florida and Indiana will not issue a new license plate without a title and that local bill of sale. Many things could be done if the trailer would be back in my home state. I am trying to tow the trailer home soon and not hand it over to a commercial shipper. You guys must know something how to get a temporary sticker or something from PA. Do I need a temp travel pass from each state that I will cross? How does this work?
Thank you for your time!

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 29th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

And, if it's available, get a Permanent license plate.Â* It costs about
twice what a 2-year plate costs.

On 5/28/2018 6:54 PM, Mike C wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 6:04:40 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Similar situation here in that I have a trailer with a Bill of Sale, a current out of state registration and plate. I have to get a Surety Bond and have the trailer inspected by DMV in order to get a valid NM title. A doable hassle that I have done before.

So many trailers, so few titles!

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 29th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

I've had to get creative with trailers too many times. It's evident that glider pilots are "not the best" at registering trailers.
If faced with a bad trailer title make a glider/trailer sale contingent on the seller fixing title and registration issues. This should not be the buyer's problem.
Jim
Old May 29th 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I've driven unlicensed trailers a couple of times, including driving them across several states without a problem - insurance is the only thing you need. It would be a very miserable cop who would ticket you for such a minor license plate infraction.

Mike
Old May 29th 18, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I have met some very nice and reasonable officers, I have also met some "less than wonderful", some depends on why they pulled you over as well as your attitude.
Old May 29th 18, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Update: CA DMV now says I need an official letter from FL DMV on their letterhead, stating that they have no title for trailer VIN# ____________________________ Even though CA admits FL don't issue titles for trailers under 2000 lbs. Oh, and they lost my appointment reservation as well. My tax $$ at work...
Old May 29th 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider RN

Some years ago after spending a lot of time running into the frustrating issues expressed in this thread, I used some of the techniques others have suggested to bring my new glider from Baltimore to Indiana.

I then phoned several state license bureaus around the city and thought I had success when one said no problem...just bring the papers and come in. Rushed there and found the "foreign" registration agent on break. When she came back she refused to help me. Got the manager involved. She said it was going to take a long time and cost me a lot of money explaining I needed to get an engine emission test...for the trailer? After I tried to explain in a civil fashion that it was a trailer and had no engine, she fumbled through her pile of papers, handed them to me and said it was my problem. You go figure out what you need to do.

Finally I went to the office in a nearby small town where I found the license bureau folks and the local police officer friendly and helpful. Problem finally solved.