Games related to airplanes for children

Old February 28th 05, 12:18 AM
Top Spin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:43:16 -0700, "Tom Garrett"
wrote:

My grandson just turned 5 this month. When he comes over he either wants to
play Train Simulator(he is fascinated by trains!)

He also likes trains. I didn't notice train simulator before. Are you
talking about the Microsoft game?

Is it easier to use that flight simulator? Maybe I'll get that for him
first and then FS later.

Any peripherals needed for TS (joystick)?

or Flight Simulator(his
second fascination.) He is fairly good at flying, just can't land. But he
enjoys the takeoffs and flying around the sky.

That's encouraging.

If you can find a friend who
had Flight Sim, maybe your grandson could try it there.
Tom
"Top Spin" wrote in message
.. .
My grandson will be 8 in a month. He loves airplanes. He is also
pretty good on the computer. I was thinking of getting him a copy of
FS for his birthday, but after lurking on this ng for a few days, I am
concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

I would appreciate any opinions on the appropriateness of FS for an 8
year old boy. If FS is not a good choice, I would appreciate
suggestions for other games involving ariplanes that would be.

He has a Windows 2000 computer.

Thanks

PS: Is there a ng that deals with children's games?

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old February 28th 05, 12:30 AM
Quilljar

I have a grandson who has enjoyed FSims since he was about six. I just used
to get him into the air by slewing first ,and then he hunted about in a Lear
Jet to find AI aircraft to crash into! He soon became very skilled, much
better than I am, and especially at using all the different facilites the
sim offers. He would play for three or four hours at a time.
One of the great Educational benefits was the practice in spatial awareness
and 3D thinking.

Since my son's pending divorce, I don't get to have the fun with him that we
used to enjoy any more :-(
He taught me not to take it too seriously!

Quilljar

Old February 28th 05, 12:32 AM
Dallas

"Top Spin"
I think his computer is good. If not, his folks will get a new one. He
already has a lot of educational games and they play just fine.

I can not think of a single "game" that requires more resources that FS2004.
I had to make a $700 upgrade to my computer to bring it up to FS2004s
standards.

My point is this, if his computer is 2 years old... you should find a copy
of FS2002 instead of FS2004.

Dallas

Old February 28th 05, 12:46 AM
Mikael K

On 28-Feb-2005, Top Spin wrote:

Any recommendations for a really good joystick?

For the good quality all-round joystick, I would recommend a Logitech
Extreme 3D Pro..
Prices are around 30-35$...

With regards to the foot pedals, that would add to further realism...
But it might be to much at one time. Then they would be better to add later
(in a couple of years)...

Regards
Mikael K

--
Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Old February 28th 05, 01:02 AM
Tom Garrett

Yes, it's Microsoft Train Simulator. No joystick or Yoke needed, just the
keyboard. If he can read, which he should being 8, he should be able to use
it and have a ball. BUT, driving trains is not half the fun of flying
planes. What I would suggest, is ask him which he likes best, planes or
trains, and take it from there.
Tom
wrote:

My grandson just turned 5 this month. When he comes over he either wants
play Train Simulator(he is fascinated by trains!)

He also likes trains. I didn't notice train simulator before. Are you
talking about the Microsoft game?

Is it easier to use that flight simulator? Maybe I'll get that for him
first and then FS later.

Any peripherals needed for TS (joystick)?

or Flight Simulator(his
second fascination.) He is fairly good at flying, just can't land. But he
enjoys the takeoffs and flying around the sky.

That's encouraging.

If you can find a friend who
had Flight Sim, maybe your grandson could try it there.
Tom
. ..

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Old February 28th 05, 02:02 AM
Top Spin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:32:34 GMT, "Dallas"
wrote:

"Top Spin"
I think his computer is good. If not, his folks will get a new one. He
already has a lot of educational games and they play just fine.

I can not think of a single "game" that requires more resources that FS2004.
I had to make a $700 upgrade to my computer to bring it up to FS2004s
standards.

My point is this, if his computer is 2 years old... you should find a copy
of FS2002 instead of FS2004.

Are you saying that it won't run at all on a 2 year old PC or that it
will underperform in some way (slow, fuzzy graphics, etc.)?

Unless it won't load, I'm inclined to install it and see what happens.
If it needs more horsepower, they can deal with that.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old February 28th 05, 12:54 PM
Jan Berg

"Dallas" wrote:

[..]
My point is this, if his computer is 2 years old... you should find a copy
of FS2002 instead of FS2004.

There is a fs2002.exe in my fs2004 folder, i didn't execute this yet, but I
thought that fs2004 includes fs2002. I'm wrong?

Jan

Old February 28th 05, 07:46 PM
Dallas

"boB"
Darn it Jan! I'm not gonna dig out my CFS3. FS9 takes most of my time
as it is. Is it addictive?

My problem with CFS3 was the flight dynamic engine, they didn't have the
feel of air under their wings like FS9 does. It was like flying pieces of
plywood around.

Dallas

Old March 1st 05, 06:55 AM
Dallas

"Top Spin"
Are you saying that it won't run at all on a 2 year old PC or that it
will underperform in some way (slow, fuzzy graphics, etc.)?

For example: If the computer is a 2 year old Pentium 900 with an on board
64k graphics card... it will "run" but at a frame rate so slow that it will
effectively be "not running".

Most of us have 2.5+ Ghz processors and $300+ graphic accelerator cards.

Can you call and find out what the computer's specs are and post them here?

Dallas

(See the thread I started: Would this run FS9?)

Old March 1st 05, 07:12 AM
Dallas

"Jan Berg"
There is a fs2002.exe in my fs2004 folder, i didn't execute this yet, but

thought that fs2004 includes fs2002. I'm wrong?

Yep...

That fs2002.exe and fs2000.exe just start FS9. My guess is they are there
because some install programs search for them to install programs in the
right folder.

Dallas