GPS Advice: Lowrance 500/1000/2000c

Old May 13th 05, 03:47 AM

Default GPS Advice: Lowrance 500/1000/2000c

Hello all. I am pretty much set on getting a Lowrance GPS but I'm
trying to make a decision between the three models offered. I'm pretty
much looking at the 1000 or 2000c, but I'm throwing the 500 in the mix
as well because, as far as I can tell, it's another good GPS with a
smaller screen. Money isn't really an object, because I find all the
units to be affordable, but I see no sense in spending more than
necessary. That being said, I'm basically a weekend pilot but I would
like to start flying some longer cross country flights and really would
like a portable GPS. I'm curious if the color screen really adds
anything, especially considering the screen is a bit smaller than the
black and white display on the 1000. I'm also curious if anyone has
found the 1000 or 2000c to be too large. My main x-country aircraft
will be either a 172 or an Archer. Any ideas on other considerations
that I should be taking into account would also be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Flying!

Brian

Old May 13th 05, 04:51 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

I recently purchased the 1000 and have no regrets. It fits nicely on
the yoke with the provided mount. Expect to use the external antenna.
Without the antenna I have had bad luck keeping the thing sync'd up.
As far as size, I was considering going with the 500 as well, but I am
glad I went with the 1000. I can not imagine trying to find smaller
buttons while flying. The color unit would be cool, but like you I am
only a weekend pilot and I got the 1000 for a really good price.

Go with the 1000 and you will not regret it.

On 12 May 2005 19:47:09 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old May 13th 05, 05:53 AM
Jonathan Sorger

I purchased the 1000 back in September and have no regrets.
At first I thought that the screen would be too large, but it seems to
fit perfectly in the yoke of a 172. It is nice to have the extra screen
real estate. My decision was based on the battery life - not all of the
planes I rent have operable cigarette lighters and I didn't want to chew
through batteries on the 2000c. The 1000 gives me 8-10 hours.

Old May 13th 05, 06:59 AM

Hi Brian,

I've the 500 for a year now and I'm very pleased about it.
Batterie life is about 5hrs when one 1 sec. update.
The only drawback is the minute font size.
But maybe mounted on a yoke that is not much of a problem, mine is
attached to the panel since I've a stick.
Also very nice is that the complete package is ready to go.
My earlier GPS shortcircuited while I was on a vacation abroad, not
very handy I can tell you.
So I bought a 500 on the spot, put in the batteries, read the manual,
duct-taped the lot to the panel and I was on my way again.

-Kees

Old May 13th 05, 03:35 PM
chibrian79

I appreciate all the responses to my question. At this point, I'm
leaning towards the Airmap 1000 for the combination of the large screen
and long battery life. Is it correct that the battery life on the
2000c is about 2 hours? And the 1000 is 8-10 hours?

Thanks again.

Brian

Old May 13th 05, 03:44 PM

From my experience, with the 1000 you can expect around 4 hours. I do not
know what kind of batteries or configuration they used for the test, but 8
hours... yeah right. I just use the external dc power gizmo and no
problem.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Old May 13th 05, 04:21 PM
Thomas Borchert

Chibrian79,

Is it correct that the battery life on the
2000c is about 2 hours? And the 1000 is 8-10 hours?

Yes, that'll work. Depends strongly on the amount of backlighting used.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 13th 05, 11:40 PM
chibrian79

Great. I'll have everyone know that I ordered an Airmap 1000 from L.C.
Flight Shop in Jefferson City, MO (www.lcflight.com) today and it is
being delivered tomorrow. Cost was $525. The guy I spoke with on the
telephone was great and, because I really wanted to get the GPS for a
trip I'm taking on Monday, he worked with me and is shipping it USPS
Express Mail (half the cost of UPS next day w/ saturday
delivery--shipping cost me $28), so I should have it tomorrow! I'm
VERY excited!

Thanks again for all the help. I'll report back with my opinion after
I get a chance to play around with it for a while.

Brian Johnson

Old May 14th 05, 04:06 AM
Dave

You will like it..we have had the 1000 for 1 yr., no regrets.

It is easy to use, has worked flawlessly.

Dave

Old May 14th 05, 04:25 AM
chibrian79

Me again. In case anyone else is considering the Airmap 1000 purchase,
I just found it for $50 less than I paid at
http://www.airplanegear.com/special-airmap1000.htm... it's listed there
at $475. I always find the great deals after I've already made a
purchase!

Happy flying.

Brian