A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

Old November 15th 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

I, too, had a flat on the trailer driver side. I 70, just starting rain, on a curve and just over a hill top. I called and waited for the Illinois State police to show up. It took a while and dusk was settling in. Nothing like having those flashing lights to slow things down. No way I was going to try it without him there. It was a quick change and he didn't even want my name when it was all over.
Old November 19th 18, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:14:26 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 2:13:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
There is a bracket for AL-KO trailers that Cobra uses. This is for a caravan. Should work.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bux1kg7wxCg

Interesting! Looks sturdy but I guess one would need a special jack which 'slots' into the bottom of that bracket. I wonder if a standard jack could be used on the upper horizontal part of the bracket.
I will check the frame on my Cobra trailer this weekend.
Uli
'AS'

Ok - went out to the airport today after almost week of solid rain in the Carolinas to check on the trailer and the frame underneath. There is nothing like the frame shown in the video under my trailer. Maybe it is because I have a double-axle trailer? Anyhow, I guess I will have to place the jack right under the axle tube should I have a flat. However, since I have a TPM-system, that chance is greatly reduced to a sudden, total blow-out. :-)
Uli
'AS'
Old November 19th 18, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR
external usenet poster

If you have a double axle traler, you dont need to mess with Jacks at all. I have a double axle airstream, and some "leveling blocks". I just make a ramp with the blocks and drive or back the trailer up the ramp on the good wheel an you are good to go. I still carry a jack just in case, but have never needed it.
Old November 19th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le lundi 19 novembre 2018 13:23:20 UTC+1, RR a écritÂ*:
If you have a double axle traler, you dont need to mess with Jacks at all.. I have a double axle airstream, and some "leveling blocks". I just make a ramp with the blocks and drive or back the trailer up the ramp on the good wheel an you are good to go. I still carry a jack just in case, but have never needed it.

I too have a twin axle trailer. Changing the front wheels is plain simple - just raise the hitch with the front dolly wheel...
Doesn't work with the rear wheels, though. But then, no need for road side work as the trailer will run well on the 3 remaining wheels to the next shop. Last year I towed mine on 3 wheels on the highway for about 30 km, and the deflated tire didn't heat up at all.
Old November 19th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 6:39:51 AM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
If you have a double axle traler, you dont need to mess with Jacks at all. I have a double axle airstream, and some "leveling blocks". I just make a ramp with the blocks and drive or back the trailer up the ramp on the good wheel an you are good to go. I still carry a jack just in case, but have never needed it.

I too have a twin axle trailer. Changing the front wheels is plain simple - just raise the hitch with the front dolly wheel...
Doesn't work with the rear wheels, though. But then, no need for road side work as the trailer will run well on the 3 remaining wheels to the next shop. Last year I towed mine on 3 wheels on the highway for about 30 km, and the deflated tire didn't heat up at all.

Can you believe people ask me why I have a double axle trailer for an 18 meter bird.
Old November 28th 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 6:39:51 AM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:

You really only need a 4x4 block to drive the good tire on - that lifts the flat tire so it can be changed. Works for either tire.

Tom