Ventus 3F - Fatal

Old August 17th 18, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Ventus 3F - Fatal

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 4:09:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I honestly don't remember, this was some years ago. I left that club because I considered it to have the worst attitude towards safety I had ever seen.

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 5:03:51 AM UTC+2, wrote:

Was that guy flying a PIK-20B by any chance?

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=CA

I've heard different versions of this event that vary in significant details. What the accounts agree on are that the pilot didn't seek instruction from a flap qualified instructor.

I don't think the PIK accident is relevant in any way to Renny's accident. Condolences to all... I didn't know Renny, but we did correspond a few times, he clearly knew what he was about.

T8
Old August 17th 18, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 2:37:06 PM UTC+2, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 5:03:51 AM UTC+2, wrote:

Was that guy flying a PIK-20B by any chance?

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=CA

I've heard different versions of this event that vary in significant details. What the accounts agree on are that the pilot didn't seek instruction from a flap qualified instructor.

I don't think the PIK accident is relevant in any way to Renny's accident. Condolences to all... I didn't know Renny, but we did correspond a few times, he clearly knew what he was about.

T8

That was the accident alright. I was at the field when it happened. The pilot was from the UK, if I remember correctly. The club had plenty of instructors available, but no other flap-only glider, single or dual seat.
Old August 18th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 6:58:37 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 2:37:06 PM UTC+2, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 5:03:51 AM UTC+2, wrote:

Was that guy flying a PIK-20B by any chance?

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=CA

I've heard different versions of this event that vary in significant details. What the accounts agree on are that the pilot didn't seek instruction from a flap qualified instructor.

I don't think the PIK accident is relevant in any way to Renny's accident. Condolences to all... I didn't know Renny, but we did correspond a few times, he clearly knew what he was about.

T8

That was the accident alright. I was at the field when it happened. The pilot was from the UK, if I remember correctly. The club had plenty of instructors available, but no other flap-only glider, single or dual seat.

I'm sure that over confidence was not an issue with Renny as he was conservative pilot and was not noted for pushing the envelope . Before he received his V3, he owned a Lak-17 which is a flapped ship in which he had a number of hours. Around Easter, Renny had an event wherein he had a loss of control turning base to final. He recovered with about two hundred feet or perhaps less, and landed short of runway 26 about a quarter mile of so east of the airport.
If any thing he became more cautious when flying the Ventus. On the day of his accident, he was heard on the radio noting that he was having a difficult time getting up and away from the airport. During that same time about four other pilots (my self included), had little if any difficulty getting away from the field. It should be remembered that there are times when one or more pilots after having been towed aloft, have difficulty connecting with that thermal which will get them on course. On the day in question, Renny announced more than once that he was less than successful in finding that thermal.
At this point we can only hope that the NTSB were able to extract enough information from his LX-9000 and his FLARM to determine what led up to his demise.

Bill Hill
Old August 18th 18, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

The recent loss of control on base to final is by far the most telling evidence which the NTSB needs to look into. It’s not a coincidence.

Ramy
Old September 5th 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 7:57:17 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

The toxicology report is in, and Renny's death was caused by blunt force trauma.
Old September 5th 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 3:52:31 PM UTC+2, wrote:

The toxicology report is in, and Renny's death was caused by blunt force trauma.

Otherwise known as "Hitting the ground at a high rate of speed." sigh Odds are it will remain a mystery. Sad.