1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

Old February 2nd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

I sometimes cut-n-paste crash victim's names into Google.groups.rec.aviation
to see if that person has ever posted here. Too ghoulish?

One person's name, about 6 years ago, came up. IIRC, his family was in the
plane.

With the spate of recent crashes it got me wondering, again: People here at
rec.aviation know some of these victims - but have WE lost any of our (r.a.h
& r.a.p) posters in crashes, in the last 8-10 years?

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Old February 2nd 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I don't recall any loss of a member since I started here in 2000. We're a
pretty small group here. There's an even smaller group that posts on a
regular basis. That being said, I believe that this "community" is made up
of pilots that take a very active role in flying safety and therefore
probably safer than most.

Marco (knock on wood) Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 2nd 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just yesterday a guy I know crashed his plane and died. I didn't know
him REAL well but it was either him, or his twin brother who did a
lesson with me a few months ago. That makes 3 people I've known in the
aviation world who have died in some aviation accident. It really
drives the point hom that what we do is extremely dangerous. The risk
is nothing to take lightly.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...WS01/602010321

Old February 2nd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Freeman" wrote:

Just yesterday a guy I know crashed his plane and died. I didn't know
him REAL well but it was either him, or his twin brother who did a
lesson with me a few months ago. That makes 3 people I've known in the
aviation world who have died in some aviation accident. It really
drives the point hom that what we do is extremely dangerous. The risk
is nothing to take lightly.

I've also known three in only nine years of flying.

In my whole life, I 've only directly known two people who've died in traffic
accidents.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old February 2nd 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Freeman" wrote in message
oups.com...
It really drives the point hom that what we do is extremely dangerous. The

risk
is nothing to take lightly.

Not to be taken lightly for sure but "extremely dangerous?" No.

You sound like the uninformed public when you describe it that way.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 2nd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Montblack" said:
I sometimes cut-n-paste crash victim's names into Google.groups.rec.aviation
to see if that person has ever posted here. Too ghoulish?

One person's name, about 6 years ago, came up. IIRC, his family was in the
plane.

A few years back a guy who was on the same Piper Chat mailing list as me
died in his Cherokee 6, taking most of his family with him. That sucked.
Around about the same time, another member of the list had his plane
partner crash and die in his shared plane.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
Old February 2nd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Freeman" wrote in message
oups.com...
It really
drives the point hom that what we do is extremely dangerous. The risk
is nothing to take lightly.

26 years flying I can think of 5 pilots I knew that have died due to
aircraft accidents.

By comparison at my 20 year class reunion in 2001, (a class of 350+/-) 8
people had died in car accidents, 2 from heart attacks, 1 from a military
aircraft loss, 2 from AIDS, 3 other/unknown.

Considering the number of pilots I know I'd say it is more dangerous to have
graduated with me than it is being a pilot.

Old February 2nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Paul Tomblin wrote:

A few years back a guy who was on the same Piper Chat mailing list as me
died in his Cherokee 6, taking most of his family with him. That sucked.

If that was a Connecticut pilot, and the crash was in Pullayup, WA, I
worked with him.

It certainly does suck...
Old February 2nd 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Flying is more dangerous than driving. However, I do believe the number
of people we know out of the small population of pilots is probably
inflated due to the fact that we all cross paths at the airport.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old February 2nd 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gig 601XL Builder wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

Considering the number of pilots I know I'd say it is more dangerous to have
graduated with me than it is being a pilot.

LOL!

--
Peter