Physiology and accidents

Old May 29th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Physiology and accidents

This news story brought to mind something I have been thinking about for
years.

"For Sleep-deprived Memory Loss, Look To The Visual System"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0523113828.htm

Flying gliders, particularly landing gliders, is a visual task. The
information a pilot needs to perform this task enters the brain through the
visual system. A pilot can't feel or hear the runway approaching, it can
only be seen. If the pilot's visual system is compromized, an accident is
very possible. Landing accidents are the biggest category.

Sleep deprivation affects the visual system in essentialy the same way as
fatigue, dehydration, hypoxia and stress. All these factors are additive -
a little of each can add up to a big problem. Surveys tell us that sleep
deprivation is epidemic in modern societies. We all know the effects of
stress, fatigue, hypoxia and dehydration - now add sleep deprivation to the
list.

Be careful out there. Get a good night's sleep before flying.

Bill Daniels

Old May 29th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sally W

At 16:18 29 May 2007, Bill Daniels wrote:
snip

Be careful out there. Get a good night's sleep before
flying.

I've been in no doubt for years that sleeping badly
affects my performance in all areas - driving, working,
enjoying myself, and anything physical. Co-ordination
goes awry, so does anticipation. Your article provides
more information about what is actually (not) going
on in my brain, but it's not news to me that I need
enough sleep to function in *all* areas of my life.
And we have all heard about road accidents caused
by drivers falling asleep which tend to be very nasty
high-speed accidents as when the driver is awake they
usually realise something is awry and put the brakes
on.

Old May 29th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Another physiological problem at this time of year is due to tree and
grass allergies. Mine have been getting milder as I age, to the point
where I don't take anything stronger than ibuprofen (to combat
headaches). However, tired eyes (from the pollen) and queasiness (from
the post nasal drip) get annoying enough at times that I just won't
bother to fly. It's a bummer to be grounded on beautiful Spring days,
but I believe it ensures that I'll get to enjoy other flights.

-John

Old May 29th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

jcarlyle wrote:
Another physiological problem at this time of year is due to tree and
grass allergies. Mine have been getting milder as I age, to the point
where I don't take anything stronger than ibuprofen (to combat
headaches). However, tired eyes (from the pollen) and queasiness (from
the post nasal drip) get annoying enough at times that I just won't
bother to fly. It's a bummer to be grounded on beautiful Spring days,
but I believe it ensures that I'll get to enjoy other flights.

Claritin (loratadin generic) is my friend this time of year. I go from
feeling I have a cold coming on to normal in an hour or so. No
sleepiness like Benadryl causes.

Shawn
Old May 30th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

I remember that.

They claimed every hour of missed sleep was equal to one mixed drink.

On May 29, 2:50 pm, wrote:
i remember seeing a news article about a study that was done on
driving while tired. a pronounced lack in sleep made you as bad as a
drunk driver on the road. thanks for the reminder Bill.

Old May 30th 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
neil@avon=tech=solutions.co.nz

Claritin (loratadin generic) is my friend this time of year. I go from
feeling I have a cold coming on to normal in an hour or so. No
sleepiness like Benadryl causes.

In NZ, my Aviation Medical Assessor told me that the rules for my PPL
medical certificate meant that all oral antihistamines were
unacceptable and I should ground myself for 24hrs after using them.
When I asked about the "non drowsiness" type like Claratyne
(Loratadin) he said that it was included and for those one-pill-a-day
types I should ground myself for even longer. Nasal sprays like
Beconase / Alanase / Beclomethasone are acceptable.

Medical certificate rules for Gliding in NZ are different than for PPL
but still preclude the use of antihistamines.

YMMV
Neil

Old May 30th 07, 11:29 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Not everyone reading this list is in the northern hemisphere, dear American friends. No hayfever problems in Oz at the moment!
As a long term sufferer of all allergens grassy, gliding is about the silliest place one can find oneself during summer.
I live about 3 hours drive from our club and have benefitted greatly from injesting LOCAL honey (from around the area of the club) all year before flying season.

Some wit told me it worked, so I tried and it did, simple.
Another wit told me it doesnt work so I ignored him, happy in the knowledge that most of the world believes in a god of some sort, without any real indication that there is one, and that works for them.

Gravity is my god, honey reduces hayfever.

It will take you at least 6 months of winter to prove it for yourself but honestly, it helps me.

Bagger

Accidents in progress Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 1 April 30th 07 03:27 PM
Accidents Big John Piloting 3 December 14th 05 02:19 PM
Accidents will happen [email protected] Naval Aviation 8 March 7th 05 03:01 PM
Some accidents... (Part 2) Hilton Piloting 8 January 16th 05 03:43 AM
Training starts with aerospace physiology Otis Willie Military Aviation 2 December 4th 03 12:03 PM