Overhaul at TBO?

Old October 22nd 03, 10:23 PM
Greg Esres

Default Overhaul at TBO?

I'm curious as to the overhaul policies at flight schools or rental
outfits. Do they typically do an overhaul at TBO? Our school
supposedly had one that had 5,000 hours, though it had been topped.
Not sure if this was the one that crashed.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:27 PM
Ron Natalie

"Greg Esres" wrote in message ...
I'm curious as to the overhaul policies at flight schools or rental
outfits. Do they typically do an overhaul at TBO? Our school
supposedly had one that had 5,000 hours, though it had been topped.
Not sure if this was the one that crashed.

Flight school use actually is quite good for exceeding TBO. Regular
use and frequent oil changes and hundred hours over very little calendar
time means your average 172 engine can still be going strong at close
to 3000 hours.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:45 PM
Greg Esres

Flight school use actually is quite good for exceeding TBO

That's my understanding, but a student of mine, an A&P, insists that
every flight school that he's worked has overhauled engines at TBO,
and he's had others confirm that with their flight operations.

I can't imagine that any flight operation would incur the added
expense if this were clearly unnecessary.

Old October 22nd 03, 11:41 PM
Bob Gardner

The PA-28s at the FBO where I spend most of my instructing time routinely
got 2500 hours out of 2000 hour engines. When mechanics see an engine every
100 hours (which ours did), they are aware of service limits.

Bob Gardner

Old October 22nd 03, 11:49 PM
David Hill

Greg Esres wrote:
Flight school use actually is quite good for exceeding TBO

That's my understanding, but a student of mine, an A&P, insists that
every flight school that he's worked has overhauled engines at TBO,
and he's had others confirm that with their flight operations.

I can't imagine that any flight operation would incur the added
expense if this were clearly unnecessary.

The flight school I worked at does not automatically overhaul at TBO.
As long as the oil analyses and the compression checks are good, they
keep on flying them.

--
David Hill
david at hillREMOVETHISfamily.org

filters, they're not just for coffee anymore
The following needn't bother to reply, you are filtered:
Juan E Jimenez, Barnyard BOb, Larry Smith, John Nada

Old October 23rd 03, 12:52 AM
EDR

In article , Greg Esres
wrote:

I'm curious as to the overhaul policies at flight schools or rental
outfits. Do they typically do an overhaul at TBO? Our school
supposedly had one that had 5,000 hours, though it had been topped.
Not sure if this was the one that crashed.

I cannot imagine any business spending money unnecessisarily.
With all the interrim inspections and oil changes, the engine should
easily exceed TBO.
That bring up the question of "What is TBO?"
Every mechanic I have talked to tells me that if there is nothing in
the oil that shouldn't be out of limits with oil analysis, and the
compression is good, you can keep on going.
On the other hand, you won't find many competition nor airshow
aerobatic aircraft that go beyond 700 or so hours TT before some kind
of OH is necessary (1200 hr TBO engines). Constant, frequent, short
duration throttle changes, full to idle are the norm in those types of
operations. Except when being flown cross country, contest to contest,
they fly 20 minutes at a contest, 30-45 minutes in practice (how many
and how long can you pull sustained g's?).

Instrument overhaul - Are all overhauls created equal? RonLee Home Built 1 February 7th 05 06:35 PM
Lycoming 0-360 A4M Engine overhaul in Ohio Roy Page Owning 9 January 13th 05 09:31 PM
Major Overhaul Jim Weir Owning 10 June 8th 04 05:12 PM
Engine... Overhaul? / Replace? advice please text news Owning 11 February 17th 04 04:44 PM
O-200 overhaul & Vari EZ value Steve Ruse Home Built 13 October 21st 03 09:52 PM