Beale Street Rocks!

Old March 15th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Beale Street Rocks!

As many of you know, I'm in Memphis as I'm typing this. We've been on
a 5-day Spring Break barnstorming tour, flying wherever and whenever
the weather looks best. We were supposed to be in Texas, but ended
up in North Carolina, visiting Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk.

We then flew down the barrier islands, with a stop at Ocracoke Island
for lunch at Howard's Pub -- well worth the effort should you ever get
out that way. (Thanks to those who recommended it!) Then it was to
Beaufort, NC (where the 54th Massachussets -- the first black regiment
in the Civil War, immortalized in "Glory" -- was based for a while)
for gas, and on down the coast to Myrtle Beach, for a day in the sun.
My son and I still have sore necks from the whiplash of not knowing
where to look next! :-)

We then headed West, past Chattanooga to Memphis, where we spent last
night down on Beale Street, listening to the best blues bands in the
world. The police had closed off the street to vehicular traffic (I
couldn't tell if that was an "every night" thing, or something related
to St Patrick's Day), the weather was in the 70s, and there were
wailing blues guitar riffs emanating from every open door and
window.

The crowds were large, the beer was cold (and we could actually carry
it on the street, just like in Wisconsin, as opposed to Iowa), and the
food was to die for. You guys who live around here really have a
fantastic music scene -- I wish we had 10% of the live music
opportunities in our part of the country.

My only regret was that kids weren't allowed in the "pure" bars --
only the ones that also sold food. Luckily, the warm weather meant
that every door and window was wide open, so we could enjoy every band
on the street, free of charge!

Today it's off to ElvisWorld, and Mud Island. (Aptly named, since it
poured here overnight...) The plan is to fly home tomorrow, and the
prog charts look promising.
--
Jay Honeck
Presently Memphis, TN

Old March 15th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
My son and I still have sore necks from the whiplash of not knowing where
to look next! :-)

I suspect ALL present got their fill of eye candy that day. It's just, the
gals were 10,000% more subtle in the way they went about it ....vs. you two
knuckleheads. :-)

Montblack

Old March 15th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GrtArtiste

On Mar 15, 11:11 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
As many of you know, I'm in Memphis as I'm typing this. We've been on
a 5-day Spring Break barnstorming tour, flying wherever and whenever
the weather looks best. We were supposed to be in Texas, but ended
up in North Carolina, visiting Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk.

Thought this was appropriate

Marc Cohn - Walking In Memphis

Put on my blue suede shoes
And I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the pouring rain
W.C. Handy -- won`t you look down over me
Yeah I got a first class ticket
But I`m as blue as a boy can be

(Chorus)
Then I`m walking in Memphis
Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale
Walking in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel

Saw the ghost of Elvis
On Union Avenue
Followed him up to the gates of Graceland
Then I watched him walk right through
Now security they did not see him
They just hovered `round his tomb
But there`s a pretty little thing
Waiting for the King
Down in the Jungle Room

(Chorus)

They`ve got catfish on the table
They`ve got gospel in the air
And Reverend Green be glad to see you
When you haven`t got a prayer
But boy you`ve got a prayer in Memphis

Now Muriel plays piano
Every Friday at the Hollywood
And they brought me down to see her
And they asked me if I would --
Do a little number
And I sang with all my might
And she said --
"Tell me are you a Christian child?"
And I said "Ma`am I am tonight"

(Chorus)

Old March 15th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

Beale street is still fun, but it's not the legendary Beale
anymore. I saw it a few yrs. back and nowadays it looks like a
touristy caricature of its old self.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 16th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WestCDA

Be that as it may, I was there a few months back when we were working near
Tupelo. Went through the Gibson factory and watched some luthiers at work,
then watched the ducks working (perhaps not as skillfully) at the Peabody.
Even in the late afternoon and early evening, we had a chance to hear some
incredible acoustic and electric sets up and down Beale - touristy or not,
there is still some great talent to be heard if you enjoy live music.

ups.com...

Old March 16th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Be that as it may, I was there a few months back when we were working near
Tupelo. Went through the Gibson factory and watched some luthiers at work,
then watched the ducks working (perhaps not as skillfully) at the Peabody.
Even in the late afternoon and early evening, we had a chance to hear some
incredible acoustic and electric sets up and down Beale - touristy or not,
there is still some great talent to be heard if you enjoy live music.

That's an understatement. We heard a 4-piece band playing in front of
a store, on the sidewalk, that rivaled anything Robert Cray or Stevie
Ray Vaughan produced. And the guys who were actually IN the bars,
working for pay, were even better.

This is THE place for live music, beyond a doubt.
--
Jay Honeck
Currently Memphis, TN

Old March 16th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
That's an understatement. We heard a 4-piece band playing in front of
a store, on the sidewalk, that rivaled anything Robert Cray or Stevie
Ray Vaughan produced. And the guys who were actually IN the bars,
working for pay, were even better.

This is THE place for live music, beyond a doubt.

And you left that to go see the former home of a dead, fat, Las Vegas
lounge singer?

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old March 16th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

And you left that to go see the former home of a dead, fat, Las Vegas
lounge singer?

I remember driving up to the place with some friends, asking the guard
how much it was. He said "10 bucks", and we turned around. Guess I'm not
really a fan...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 16th 07, 08:58 PM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Honeck View Post
As many of you know, I'm in Memphis as I'm typing this.

Well, I'm sorry we missed you here in the sunny south, but I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our local music scene. We're the less-well-known but much better music city in Tennessee. North Mississippi is the birth place of the blues and the blues are the parents of rock. Memphis, being the capital of North Mississippi, is home to most of the shrines to the music and to the men and women who invented it. You can still find the real thing in many Mississippi towns if you go looking.

Next time you're in town you'll have to drop by our club [http://www.memphis-soaring.org]. On weekends it looks as much like an EAA meeting as a gliderport with the rag and vintage planes our members arrive in. You should have no trouble getting in and out of our 3000'x300' grass strip. Twins have done it so I'm sure you'd have no problem.

BTW: Which of our various airports did Atlas stay at while the family was playing?

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll try to get the Cub up to Iowa some day.

V7
Old March 16th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GrtArtiste

On Mar 16, 11:59 am, (Jay Masino) wrote:

And you left that to go see the former home of a dead, fat, Las Vegas
lounge singer?

A dead, fat, Las Vegas lounge singer who during the 25 year period
after his death earned $37 million. Would that I could do half as well
while alive.

GrtArtiste

Rocks Thrown at Border Patrol Chopper [email protected] Rotorcraft 30 September 1st 05 12:10 PM
it rocks! caroline Piloting 0 September 18th 04 03:14 AM
Soviet "examinations" of Apollo Moon rocks Ron Military Aviation 15 February 4th 04 01:20 AM
The most probable origin of NASA moon rocks Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 98 October 29th 03 08:08 PM
Demolition Dick Dot Com Rocks!!! BEEPER708 Products 1 August 9th 03 11:29 AM