Pilot Suicides

Old March 8th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Default Pilot Suicides

Deadstick schrieb:

FBO owners should be held more directly responsible for who they rent
aircraft to.

Yeah! Sue them *******s!
Old March 8th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Tony wrote:
For what it's worth, the AP did report that Eric Johnson got his
pilot's license the day his divorce became final, last October.

two good news the same day, and the guy is still depressed?

--Sylvain
Old March 8th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Deadstick" wrote in
ps.com:

FBO owners should be held more directly responsible for who they rent
aircraft to. I think we will find that the aircraft dispatch
procedures were NOT adequate. Proper dispatch procedures might have
prevented this particular tragedy.

Unfortunately, the insurance company will end up paying for the FBOs
negligence and nobody will have learned anything.

Bulls%^&*.

Are you Corey Lidle's wife?

How, exactly, does an FBO rental counter person determine in the 6 seconds it
takes to get the keys for the plane that the rental student is about to use
it to commit suicide?

Do you think he went into the FBO and announced it?

Perhaps we should sue McDonalds because if they would have given him hotter
coffee he would have killed himself using the coffee instead of the plane.

What a world.
Old March 8th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
ups.com:

Surprising that the FBO rented the plane to a student pilot with his
daughter.

Perhaps the daughter was not with him when he got the keys from the FBO
counter.
Old March 8th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
ups.com:

Surprising that the FBO rented the plane to a student pilot with his
daughter.

Or for that matter, perhaps they were under the impression he was going with
an instructor. I took my son on instruction flights several times when I was
a student, and as students we were often expected to pre-flight the plane
before the instructor got back from the prior lesson...
Old March 8th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

RomeoMike wrote in news:arr3c4-7ok1.ln1
@news.infowest.com:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Surprising that the FBO rented the plane to a student pilot with his
daughter.

-Robert

The Associated Press account I read stated that he had a PPL as of last
fall.

From Landings.com database section:

Name : JOHNSON, ERIC ROSS
Airman's Address : 617 I ST
BEDFORD, IN, 47421-2331
FAA Region : Great Lakes
Date of Medical : Nov, 2006
Class of Medical : 3
Expiration of Class 3 : Nov, 2008
Airman Certificates : Student Pilot

The database has been known to be several months behind, if he got his
medical in 11/06, perhaps pre-solo, it's possible (although IMHO not
likely) that he finished his requirements and passed his practical within 4
months...
Old March 8th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jake Brodsky

Deadstick wrote:
FBO owners should be held more directly responsible for who they rent
aircraft to. I think we will find that the aircraft dispatch
procedures were NOT adequate. Proper dispatch procedures might have
prevented this particular tragedy.

Who would do this examination, and on what basis? Would you like a
psych evaluation every time you decided to rent an aircraft?

Unfortunately, the insurance company will end up paying for the FBOs
negligence and nobody will have learned anything.

I sympathize, but I have to wonder what there is to learn here.

The problem is that even if we made FBOs responsible for assessing the
renter's mental state, we still wouldn't know anything because the
people doing the assessing aren't qualified to make any such assessment.

I know most agree that we are our brother's (and sister's) keeper. And
in a perfect world, where understanding was easy to come by, I would
agree with you. But this is not a perfect world. Your idea of
institutionalizing this in to policy made by the courts is abhorrent to
most people.

Some accidents are simply impossible to prevent. You can't prevent a
person from leaping off of a tall bridge to their death. And likewise,
a pilot with suicidal tendencies can be very hard to identify. This is
the exception you're using to make policy. You need a real big spanking
with a clue bat.

Jake Brodsky
Old March 8th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

RomeoMike wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Surprising that the FBO rented the plane to a student pilot with his
daughter.

-Robert

The Associated Press account I read stated that he had a PPL as of last
fall.

AP probably wrong. The FAA Registry lists three people with names
similar to this guy in Indiana. One of the three was issued a student
certificate 11/06. This is probably the one. The other two don't fit.
Old March 8th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I know most agree that we are our brother's (and sister's) keeper.

I certainly don't agree. I am not in a zoo, with everyone else around
me being my "keeper". I would hope that were I to need assistance
people would come help me, but I would also hope that should I decide to
do something that somebody else doesn't think I should do, that they
would let me do it anyway.

That is what freedom is.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 8th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 17:24:38 -0800, Jose wrote
(in article ) :

I know most agree that we are our brother's (and sister's) keeper.

I certainly don't agree. I am not in a zoo, with everyone else around
me being my "keeper". I would hope that were I to need assistance
people would come help me, but I would also hope that should I decide to
do something that somebody else doesn't think I should do, that they
would let me do it anyway.

That is what freedom is.

If I thought you were going to kill your 8 year old daughter I most certainly
would try to prevent it, no matter what your personal opinion of freedom was.

I might even try to prevent you from riding a bicycle without a helmet, if
for no other reason than that I am tired of having my tax and insurance
dollars going to support the paralyzed bozos who thought they had a right to
ride without one.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor