Online Training Ground Training

Old December 8th 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Online Training Ground Training

Any recommended resource for online training for passing the Glider Pilot test? Is a book just as good?

Joel
Old December 8th 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 12:21:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any recommended resource for online training for passing the Glider Pilot test? Is a book just as good?

Joel

http://www.webexams.com/welcome/index#

These exams are not 100% current. But free is good.

The dauntless commercial software is the most time efficient way to sharpen up for FAA knowledge tests, and their source material is pretty current.

The material in the books that these guys sell

http://gliderpilotsgroundschool.com/

is quite good, but the books themselves are (annoyingly) difficult reading because they are printed at microfiche size. If they can be convinced to print their books in a more normal format, I would recommend without reservation.

I took 3 FAA KTs this year, so pretty current here.

-Evan Ludeman

Old December 8th 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is it much more difficult to pass the powered pilot test? I understand that it can be used in lieu of the glider test.
Old December 8th 15, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

You still have to know all that is required on the test for the oral exam. None of this is like studying chemical engineering. There are lots of learning resources including videos on youtube. Power flying helps your xc flying as you learn more about the radio work and getting weather on route etc. Good luck and learn as much as possible.

Old December 8th 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 2:13:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is it much more difficult to pass the powered pilot test? I understand that it can be used in lieu of the glider test.

I "believe" you can't take the power written & use it for a glider rating.
The power test's cover things NOT needed in the glider written.

You CAN get a (say) private SEL rating, then do a minimum (of flying time, knowledge) in a glider & do an add-on for the glider.

If you will only do glider flying, then do a glider written and glider check ride.

If you do a glider rating and want power later on, you need to do the written & check ride (sorta from scratch, although some glider time transfers over).
Old December 8th 15, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 3:16:26 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 2:13:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is it much more difficult to pass the powered pilot test? I understand that it can be used in lieu of the glider test.

I "believe" you can't take the power written & use it for a glider rating.
The power test's cover things NOT needed in the glider written.

You CAN get a (say) private SEL rating, then do a minimum (of flying time, knowledge) in a glider & do an add-on for the glider.

If you will only do glider flying, then do a glider written and glider check ride.

If you do a glider rating and want power later on, you need to do the written & check ride (sorta from scratch, although some glider time transfers over).

Right, exactly. If you have the SEL rating you are exempt from taking the
glider knowledge test before you add on the glider rating. You are not
exempt going the other way.

I managed to take the written (as we called it back then) THREE times:
1. I was a glider student, but took a ground school at the local community
college over the winter. The CFI was only rated for airplanes so I took
the airplane test.
2. I stopped flying for a while, but when I finally was getting ready
for a checkride it was for glider, so this time I took the glider written.
3. Next I added on an airplane rating so I had to take the power written
again (more than 2 years had passed since the previous time I took it).

Whew. Of course all that was followed by the commercial written and then
the FOI and Analysis of Maneuvers for the CFI, so I got to do it a lot!

Our experience with students at our club has been that the knowledge test
becomes a stumbling block. The college kids are all practiced up at
studying for and taking tests, but people that have been out of school
for a while get all stressed out over it. I try to get them to relax
and not worry over much since a lot of it really has nothing to do with
glider flying these days (at least they got rid of the NDB navigation
questions!) and they just need 70% to pass.

Matt
Old December 9th 15, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 12:21:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any recommended resource for online training for passing the Glider Pilot test? Is a book just as good?

Joel

Joel

See my recommendations at:
http://glidercfi.com/trainingresourc...nowledge-test/

Use the Contact function at gliderCFI.com if you want to chat more.
Old December 9th 15, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:21:14 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Any recommended resource for online training for passing the Glider Pilot test? Is a book just as good?

Joel

There's this new site: http://academy.gliderbooks.com

I haven't used it, but the author of one of the books I used to study for the test is involved in it. The book was The Glider Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge by Russell Holtz. Highly recommend it.
Old December 9th 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wanted to second the videos at http://academy.gliderbooks.com/

I got my license this year and admittedly struggled a bit with the written resources that were out there. I just tend to be more of a visual learner.

Russell's videos were _way_ easier for me to learn from. There were whole sections of knowledge, like airspace, that I had read through a few times over but after watching the video instruction it all just clicked.

Couldn't recommend them more. Great resource to pair with your other materials. They break them up by topic, I'd suggest picking a topic you know you could be do better with and just try one out.