Wing root fairings

Old October 27th 03, 04:10 PM
D.A.L

Default Wing root fairings

I have noticed that several articles on glider performance refer to
adding/modifying the wing root to get better performance. Can anyone
refer me to further info on wing root fairing design and or mods to
improve performance.

Cheers, Don

Old October 27th 03, 05:16 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, D.A.L wrote:

I have noticed that several articles
on glider performance refer to
adding/modifying the wing root to
get better performance. Can anyone
refer me to further info on wing root
fairing design and or mods to
improve performance.

Wing fuselage junction fillets are often a pretty troublesome
aspect of glider design. The way I understand it, they
are usually developed either empirically, using tuft
testing, or using lots of CFD computing horsepower.

On the other hand, it seems to be one of those aspects
where you get some points just for trying. Dick Schreder
developed the HP-18 side-of-body junction by eye, and
seemed to have gotten it pretty close on the first
try. The only thing I would have done differently would
be to adjust the fillet trailing edge slightly so that
it lines up at the -5 flap setting instead of 0.

There are some references in Thomas' _Fundamentals
of Sailplane Design_, but the book itself is pretty
skimpy regarding developing junction fillets for existing
sailplanes. Small radii near the leading edge, big
radius at the bac, that sort of thing.

One of the cites in Thomas is to a study by Mark Maughmer
at Penn State. If you can get in touch with him, he
might be able to give you some reasonable guidelines.
Another cite is to Dick Johnson's 1979 compendium of
flight test articles; you can get most of those off
of the SSA Web server.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old October 28th 03, 09:29 AM
Slingsby

Bob Kuykendall wrote in message ...
Earlier, D.A.L wrote:

[...]

For the sake of the discussion, why have an upper wing root fillet at
all? The Caproni A 21 wing blends into the top of the fuselage. What
are the advantages/disadvantages to this type of design?
Old October 28th 03, 10:33 AM
Bert Willing

The Calif A21 has a pretty elaborate wing root fairing (I own one, so I
should know).

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

om...

Old October 28th 03, 01:05 PM
D.A.L

Earlier, D.A.L wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info and references Bob!
Don.
Old October 28th 03, 02:32 PM
Marske Flying Wings

The Root to fusleage junction is a source of separation in many gliders.

In our Marske Pioneer at extrmely slow speeds we discovered that a
separation seems to start at this wing root/ fuselage junction. And a fillet
may solve this.

Tuft the wing and record the result on film with voice commentary for the
differing speeds. When you have a newly constructed fillet record that too
on film to see if you have improved the airflow.

We will be adding a wingroot fillet on our Pioneer over the winter months.

-mat

Marske Flying Wings
http://www.continuo.com/marske

Old October 28th 03, 04:21 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Bert Willing wrote:

The Calif A21 has a pretty elaborate wing root fairing (I own one, so I
should know).

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Slingsby" a écrit dans le message de
om...

For the sake of the discussion, why have an upper wing root fillet at
all? The Caproni A 21 wing blends into the top of the fuselage. What
are the advantages/disadvantages to this type of design?

A better example of a wing root without fillet is the LS1f. But the manufacturer
added them to the LS4. Another example is the Janus B (just had a look on our
Janus now disassembeld in the workshop).
Old October 28th 03, 08:31 PM
JJ Sinclair

Several of us have added Vortex Generators (VG's) to the upper wing / fuselage
juncture area on the Genesis 2 and found very good results. As I understand it,
the VG's, placed near the high camber location, cause the local flow to become
turbulent, but the "turbulent" flow reattaches and prevents complete
separation. Anyway, I am able to thermal 5 knots slower and no longer feel and
hear flow separation.

The VG's are 1" long X .25" high and .25" wide (base only) the vertical web is
about 1/16" wide. We place them in pairs that are angled in about 30 degrees to
each other. The hot set-up seems to be 3 sets on each side with 2 on the wing
and 1 on the fuselage. I have seen similar things on a Nimbus 3 and wondered if
they worked. I could play a tune on my Nimbus, by just moving the flaps up and
down, so something bad was going on back there.
The VG's work on the Genesis 2.
JJ Sinclair
Old October 29th 03, 08:55 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Robert Ehrlich" wrote in message
Bert Willing wrote:

The Calif A21 has a pretty elaborate wing root fairing (I own one, so I
should know).

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Slingsby" a écrit dans le message de
om...

For the sake of the discussion, why have an upper wing root fillet at
all? The Caproni A 21 wing blends into the top of the fuselage. What
are the advantages/disadvantages to this type of design?

A better example of a wing root without fillet is the LS1f. But the

manufacturer
added them to the LS4. Another example is the Janus B (just had a look on

our
Janus now disassembeld in the workshop).

Most common Grob models have no fillet and fly like it.

Peter Masak had a small publication a few years ago on performance
enhancements, including photos of ASW-20 fillets and mods and tufts in
action. No clue if it's still available.

Frank Whiteley