Older varios?

Old October 1st 19, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Davison[_3_]

Default Older varios?

Have the choice of an LX5000 IGC and a Cambridge 302/303 to put in a club
class glider for recreational XC and wave flying. Any views on which is
the better set up? (and why!) Main navigation will be done from a PDA,
attached to the chosen device.

Old October 1st 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 1 octobre 2019 17:30:06 UTC+2, Chris Davison a écritÂ*:
Have the choice of an LX5000 IGC and a Cambridge 302/303 to put in a club
class glider for recreational XC and wave flying. Any views on which is
the better set up? (and why!) Main navigation will be done from a PDA,
attached to the chosen device.

CAI 302 is one of the best variometers ever made. The LX5000 not so much... Plus, if you are using a PDA, the LX5000 main unit will just clogg your panel.
Old October 1st 19, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

What Tango Whisky said!
Old October 1st 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My Stemme came with an LX7000 pro IGC.Â* I couldn't get it out of the
panel quickly enough.

On 10/1/2019 11:45 AM, Ross wrote:
What Tango Whisky said!

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 2nd 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 12:55:13 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
My Stemme came with an LX7000 pro IGC.Â* I couldn't get it out of the
panel quickly enough.

On 10/1/2019 11:45 AM, Ross wrote:
What Tango Whisky said!

--
Dan, 5J

Another thumbs up for TW.
302s work well with PDAs. But having a 303 in the panel helps, especially if you leave the PDA at home or run over it with the car. Yes, did both.
And similar to Dan, my first flight with an LX7000 ended early so I could order a 302 during business hours. Didn't get along with the LX5000 in another glider.
Jim
Old October 2nd 19, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Pulled an LX5000 from a plane because:

1. It thought it was early in the year 2000
2. Its sounds and indications didn't make sense with what was going on.

Installed an L-Nav and GPS Nav. Now, that is a good pair! Along with a good old Solfarhtgeber hooked up to the TE probe.

I guess the new owner (who was given the LX5000) can paint the LX yellow and use it as a wheel chock in his hangar.

Steve Leonard
Old October 2nd 19, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 12:33:30 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:

The 302 is indeed a very good vario. Unlike all the crap on the market now, it doesn't have a million bull**** settings that have to be sorted out.

Nicely said, Steve! I remember Chip Garner saying, as they were developing the 302, "You know, if we can make another variometer that is as good as the L-Nav, we will be doing pretty good."

And if anybody needs one, I have a good supply of L-Navs. Price goes up daily. :-)

Steve Leonard
Old October 2nd 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Davison[_3_]

Thanks everyone, I have a 302 and 303!

Capacity flask sizes for older PZL and Winter varios. [email protected] Soaring 3 July 21st 18 02:35 PM
Multiple varios John Foster Soaring 52 December 31st 17 01:37 AM
Talking Varios glider[_2_] Soaring 10 May 19th 10 05:35 PM
Varios [email protected] Soaring 9 January 5th 09 09:51 PM
Opinions on Varios Bruce Soaring 8 March 1st 05 04:57 PM