Women's Worlds

Old January 9th 20, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Women's Worlds

As I have never entered a contest. I find it interesting and educational just to watch the near real time tracking.

Lots of strategy can be seen just watching the gliders and what is happening after the gate opens.

Anyway, seems like something that might be entertaining to watch with knowledgable commentators on ESPN
Old January 10th 20, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 1:03:33 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
Some supporting info:
Pretty exhausting.
Each team pilot has flown 45 hours or more so far.
So far, every day has been over 100F, 40C.
The dust has been crazy.
Launches take longer than normal due to dust devils ripping across the runway.
I think there are facebook and instagram pages, and links have been posted.
Or look at SSA website for links.
Ritz' blog is good too.
Film at 11,
Jim

I've been watching live to one degree or another and checking the scores as soon as they are posted. Been loving every minute of it! Tell the ladies we are paying attention over here stateside.
Old January 10th 20, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Just backfrom a necessary run into Tamworth.
For these tracks go to
https://soarscore.com/
and choose your task.

Here's today's OGN tracking with task overlay.

Club
https://glideandseek.com/?taskOneUrl...45,150.17485,9

Standard (same task, different start point to lurk around)
https://glideandseek.com/?taskOneUrl...28,150.22083,8

18m
https://glideandseek.com/?taskOneUrl...28,150.22083,8

We have a landout in 18m.
Tomorrow we get a rest day. I'll take the Holden Commodore we borrowed from Tony Esler (was mine when I had the Nimbus 3 here) for annual inspection. How's that for excitement?
Jim
Old January 10th 20, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

18m seems to have gotten a bit chatoic there. a few real landouts a few motor homes. a few 145 degree "deviations" that seem to be back on task now.
Old January 10th 20, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:22:17 PM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
18m seems to have gotten a bit chatoic there. a few real landouts a few motor homes. a few 145 degree "deviations" that seem to be back on task now.

They may have encountered wave in the lee of the Nandewar range.
Meanwhile Std/Club have a slog into the wind.
Jim
Old January 10th 20, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 12:22:17 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
18m seems to have gotten a bit chatoic there. a few real landouts a few motor homes. a few 145 degree "deviations" that seem to be back on task now.

Per Ritz's blog, 100% landout - 8 18m gliders motored home. Pawnees out doing airtow retrieves. Rest day on the 11th and International Day pushed by one day.

Dan
Old January 10th 20, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

I wonder how many more years before Soaring Spot can distinguish between DNF and "Not Yet Scored" on the Prelim.

T8
Old January 10th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Driving back from W of Boggabri, every other vehicle going the other way had a glider trailer behind it.
At 1030 when Kathy and I got back to Keepit, Sarah and Jason had finished rigging. Believe they had "Maccas" for dinner, to expedite.
The French team then took XBY's trailer on a retrieve.
Jim
Old January 10th 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 11:45:15 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
Driving back from W of Boggabri, every other vehicle going the other way had a glider trailer behind it.
At 1030 when Kathy and I got back to Keepit, Sarah and Jason had finished rigging. Believe they had "Maccas" for dinner, to expedite.
The French team then took XBY's trailer on a retrieve.
Jim

Maccas, an American delicacy.

Old January 10th 20, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Thank goodness for a rest day. I need some sleep.

Day Win at Jr Worlds for USA [email protected] Soaring 4 August 16th 11 08:46 PM
LS-10 at the worlds. Why only ONE? John Bojack[_2_] Soaring 2 August 9th 10 08:39 AM
The Women, pt 2 - Etihad - women pilots.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 2 April 19th 10 02:05 PM
Worlds first? nimbusgb Soaring 4 February 15th 08 01:05 AM
pre worlds BB Soaring 5 July 29th 07 01:59 AM