Training

Old July 31st 05, 08:39 PM
Ruski

Default Training

I am interested in getting back into soaring, its been 24 years since I
soloed at age 16. My job constraints keep me busy and my days off are
usually during the week. It seems most club flying is on the weekend
which means taking off work, if I can get it, to go soar. I'm looking
into taking a two week vacation and going to a school such as Estrella
Sailport for lessons. Has anyone tried this or any other schools? I am
currently located in the Dallas, Tx area which means travelling, with
the wife and kid, to a remote area where they sit for two weeks while I
have fun. Are there schools with local entertainment nearby? Should I
pass my written before I go to a school. IS joining an active club the
best way to get started? Any helpful suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Old August 1st 05, 12:01 AM
BTIZ

an active club is the best way.. spread out lessons.. not just two weeks of
superb flying weather that you do not find at home. Always learned in
excellent weather.. not learning how to deal with marginal conditions..

Have you checked out TSA near Dallas? are they "weekend" only and cannot
accommodate a mid week pilot. http://www.texassoaring.org/ .. I see
"Thursday/Sat/Sun listed.

We run into the same thing here, we are weekend only.

BT

oups.com...

Old August 1st 05, 12:04 AM

Marfa, TX is located ONLY 500 miles from you (not that far from Dallas
in Texas terms) in the scenic Big Bend area of west Texas. Marfa
Airport is located on a grassy plateau at 5,000' above sea level, so
we're not as hot in summer as much of the southwest. The Davis
Mountains are nearby and offer a wealth of family activities.

Send me your US Post mailing address and I will mail you a Texas
Mountains / Big Bend Travel Guide.

Around Dallas you'll find Southwest Soaring (a commercial soaring
operation) at Caddo Mills, and the Texas Soaring Ass'n. (an excellent
club) near Midlothian. For the absolute maximum in family activities,
consider Seminole-Lake Gliderport, west of Orlando (Disney World), FL.
Turf and Estrella (Arizona Soaring) near Phoenix are excellent soaring
schools.

Since you need to fly primarily during the week, soaring sites that are
"commercial operations" may be your best choice. Having a full-time
staff of instructors, ground crew, towpilots and an FAA Examiner on
site will help you reach your goal efficiently. For YOUR part, you
need to study the recommended texts ahead of time, pass your FAA Glider
"written" (now computer) test, and schedule enough time at the site you
choose to really learn how to fly well. Notice I said "fly well".
Solo and a earning a pilot certificate will be your second and third
goals.

For ALL the soaring clubs and commercial operations in the USA, go to
www.SSA.org Click on "The Sport" the "Where To Fly" for an
interactive map and state listings.

Email me with your questions about glider training at

Welcome back to soaring - the SSA Chapters (clubs) and Commercial
Soaring sites can help you meet your goals, and show you a good time!

Burt Compton, Master Flight Instructor / FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
President - Marfa Chamber of Commerce
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com
cellphone: 800-667-9464

Old August 1st 05, 11:38 AM
Rusty

Give JP Ducos at San Antonio Soaring Society
http://www.5c1.net/sass.html a call. They are located at Boerne,
Texas just 10 minutes North of San Antonio. For the family there is
the Alamo, Sea World, Six Flags and many other family type places.
There is housing at the airfield and many good places to eat in Boerne
if you don't want to cook. Good Luck and like Burt said, Welcome Back.

Old August 1st 05, 11:48 PM
Michael

If you can't find the time to get your license, when will you find time
to soar? Or to do the inevitable club duty?

The real solution is a commercial operation close to you that flies
during the week. I suggest Caddo Mills - I took my ground tow
endorsement there and it looked good to me. It's within easy reach of
downtown Dallas. Here's a link:

http://www.southwestsoaring.com/

Michael