FAA regs. for minimum altitudes over built-up areas

Old October 13th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PPL-A (Canada)

Default FAA regs. for minimum altitudes over built-up areas

Forgive me for not being aware of this, but I fly up in Canada, and in
our CARs (602.14 and 602.15), Canadian regs. very specifically prohibit
the operation of a fixedwing A/C over a built up area at less than 1000
feet above the highest obstacle within 2000 feet horizontally of the
A/C. The exception to this rule is if the A/C is conducting a
take-off, an approach, or landing.

As I have noticed in the discussion of the unforunate death of Cory
Lidle, the East River VFR corridor is about 2000 feet wide in many
places, yet fixed wing A/C are regularly flown there at altitudes as
low as 400 feet AGL, with many buildings along the shore-line up to
several hundred feet tall.

Considering that the ideal flight paths of A/C up and down this VFR
corridor are within a few hundred feet of the shoreline, this type of
flying would not be permitted in Canada.

In fact when I think about it, I spent a few weeks in Boca Raton,
Florida not too long ago and noticed that A/C are regularly flying up
and down the shore-line, well within 2000 ft horizontally of built up
areas and condos 200 - 300 feet tall, at altitudes as low as 300 feet
AGL. I know there's an airport nearby, but most of these planes were
not taking of, landing, or flying any kind of published approach. They
were, like most traffic in those NYC VFR corridors, sight-seeing.

I live, and got my training in (and above) Toronto, and this type of
low level flying isn't permitted, and rarely seen.

We have a very vocal anti-airport interest group here, and if this kind
of flying were permitted over Toronto, our downtown airport would be
under even more pressure than it aleady is to be shut down. I cannot
imagine what the reaction would be if if a private A/C actually crashed
into a building in the downtown area.

What's the FAA regs. on the matter? Is there some exception in place
for New York's VFR corridors (or Florida's beaches?)

PPL-A (Canada)

Old October 13th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"PPL-A (Canada)" wrote in message
ups.com...
Forgive me for not being aware of this, but I fly up in Canada, and in
our CARs (602.14 and 602.15), Canadian regs. very specifically prohibit
the operation of a fixedwing A/C over a built up area at less than 1000
feet above the highest obstacle within 2000 feet horizontally of the
A/C.

Same in the US, for "congested' areas.

The exception to this rule is if the A/C is conducting a
take-off, an approach, or landing.

As I have noticed in the discussion of the unforunate death of Cory
Lidle, the East River VFR corridor is about 2000 feet wide in many
places, yet fixed wing A/C are regularly flown there at altitudes as
low as 400 feet AGL, with many buildings along the shore-line up to
several hundred feet tall.

Yup. In fact, the maximum permitted altitude in the corridor is 1100', which
is less than 1000' above nearby buildings. And the river is only about 2000'
wide, and has an island in the middle with some tall buildings. But
apparently, flying over the river isn't construed as flying over a congested
area.

--Gary

Old October 14th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:07:57 -0400, Gary Drescher wrote:

But apparently, flying over the river isn't construed as flying
over a congested area.

Though someone has pointed out that the bridges can be pretty congested.
I'm still trying to digest that one laugh.

- Andrew

Old October 14th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bucky

Gary Drescher wrote:
apparently, flying over the river isn't construed as flying over a congested
area.

Is there an FAA definition or example of what exactly is a "congested
area"? I had also heard of the 1000/2000 rule, so I was pretty
surprised to learn that the East River could be flown at under 1100
feet.

It seems that general aviationists are against against any kind of
restriction, and even Bloomberg used the analogy that just because we
have car accidents doesn't mean we shut down all the streets. But if
you have a fatal car accident at an uncontrolled intersection, it would
be pretty reasonable to make the intersection safer, maybe by adding a
stop sign or signal lights. The East River corridor is pretty crazy, a
narrow strip between 3 major airports. It doesn't seem like a bad idea
to shut it down.

Old October 14th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Bucky" wrote in message
ups.com...
It seems that general aviationists are against against any kind of
restriction,

No, not if the restriction is necessary and reasonable.

and even Bloomberg used the analogy that just because we
have car accidents doesn't mean we shut down all the streets. But if
you have a fatal car accident at an uncontrolled intersection, it would
be pretty reasonable to make the intersection safer, maybe by adding a
stop sign or signal lights.

Well, but not if there's just one accident in several decades of use, which
is the case here.

The East River corridor is pretty crazy, a
narrow strip between 3 major airports. It doesn't seem like a bad idea
to shut it down.

New restrictions have in fact just gone into effect, but it's not as drastic
as shutting it down--more like installing a traffic light, to use your
analogy.

--Gary

Old October 14th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

Considering the amount of traffic that uses the area, think again
about the accident rate. How many people were killed in the last 50
years by small airplanes in NYC vs. killed in ferry accidents?

or, how many people were killed in boating accidents?

As I doubt you are a pilot, I challenge you to go to your local
airport, spend $8 on a NY Terminal Area VFR chart, read the legend to
understand what's on it, and go take a sightseeing flight and see the
actual airspace from an actual aircraft. Then come back and tell us
what kaos it really is.

Busy does not automatically mean kaos.

Chaos?

(I 'm not busting your chops, just asking)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 14th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

over water you can fly at just clear as long as you stay 500
feet from people, boats and suchlike.

ups.com...

Old October 14th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Bucky" wrote in message
ups.com...
Gary Drescher wrote:
apparently, flying over the river isn't construed as flying over a
congested
area.

Is there an FAA definition or example of what exactly is a "congested
area"? I had also heard of the 1000/2000 rule, so I was pretty
surprised to learn that the East River could be flown at under 1100
feet.

There is no official definition, no. In fact, here in the Puget Sound area,
the Seattle FSDO has cited at least one pilot I know of for flying too low
in a "congested area" even though he was over a river that was in an area
most of us would consider rural.

Obviously there is a difference of opinion among FAA inspectors as to what
is considered "congested area".

To further complicate things, a common enough operation around Seattle is to
orbit Elliott Bay to enjoy the view of the Seattle skyline. VFR traffic
over the bay is restricted above by the Seattle Class B airspace, and
there's no way anyone is more than 1000' above the buildings, even as they
may well get within 2000' of them.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the guy I know should have
fought harder against his violation. We see so many of these apparent
exceptions, all relating to flight over water. It does seem to me that the
wording of the regulation seems to exclude flight over water...I just don't
see any way to consider open water to be in any way a "congested area OF a
city" (emphasis mine).

As far as this specific accident goes, it does puzzle me that anyone would
choose to turn into the city. I'm not that familiar with the area, but it
seems to me that the west side of the river is much less obstructed (that
was my impression the couple of times I've been there). Oh well...

Pete

Old October 14th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"Bucky" wrote:

Gary Drescher wrote:
[...]

"It's the freedom, stupid!"
Old October 15th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:38:54 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

Chaos?

YES!!! THAT'S IT!!!

Too bad. I thought it was an amusing reference to "Get Smart".

- Andrew