Garmin GTX320 PIREP Request

Old November 7th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Default Garmin GTX320 PIREP Request

Hi all,

Anyone using this simple and relatively cheap transponder care to share
their experience? Some questions I have:

1) How's the warm-up time and signal for ATC's radars?
2) Did you use the adapter for the King trays? If so, how's the fit
(does it stick out) and the ease of installation?
3) Is there a difference between using the adapter and having it
rewired?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Marco

Old November 7th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
rq3

Marco, I installed a Garmin GTX320A as a replacement for my old Narco
using the Garmin adapter. The installation took all of 5 minutes, the
adapter is invisible (looks like a custom install), there is effectively
no warm-up time on a 100% solid state xponder like the GTX320A, and I
have had no complaints from ATC.

You WILL likely still have warm-up time for your altitude encoder, and
make sure your coax and connectors meet Garmin's specs.

Rip

Old November 7th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

rq3 wrote:
Marco, I installed a Garmin GTX320A as a replacement for my old Narco
using the Garmin adapter. The installation took all of 5 minutes, the
adapter is invisible (looks like a custom install), there is effectively
no warm-up time on a 100% solid state xponder like the GTX320A, and I
have had no complaints from ATC.

You WILL likely still have warm-up time for your altitude encoder, and
make sure your coax and connectors meet Garmin's specs.

Thanks. Did you get a 337 and retest it for certification? If so, how
much did your avionics guy charge?

Marco

Old November 8th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip

Marco Leon wrote:
rq3 wrote:

Marco, I installed a Garmin GTX320A as a replacement for my old Narco
using the Garmin adapter. The installation took all of 5 minutes, the
adapter is invisible (looks like a custom install), there is effectively
no warm-up time on a 100% solid state xponder like the GTX320A, and I
have had no complaints from ATC.

You WILL likely still have warm-up time for your altitude encoder, and
make sure your coax and connectors meet Garmin's specs.

Thanks. Did you get a 337 and retest it for certification? If so, how
much did your avionics guy charge?

Marco

Yes, I filed a 337 and recerted the xponder. My local avionics shop gets
$275 for a complete pitot/static/xponder check.

Rip

Garmin 496 PIREP -- Navigating while Driving Jay Honeck Piloting 16 August 21st 16 10:29 PM
PIREP: Garmin GMA340 impedance-matching audio cable Peter R. Owning 5 June 15th 06 02:30 PM
Pirep request Jim Burns Piloting 6 May 9th 05 11:27 PM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
PIREP - Garmin GTX-327 Jay Honeck Owning 17 January 22nd 04 04:56 AM