Removing an ELT to change battery

Old December 31st 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Removing an ELT to change battery

I have a Piper Archer III and want to change the battery. The ELT is
an Artex 110-4. I can open the panel and found two thumbscrews which
only remove the cap of the ELT, I can also remove the BNC and Molex
connector. There are four screws on top, however these serve only to
open the ELT, exposing the circuit board, they do not allow it to be
removed from plane. However, I can't remove the ELT itself from the
plane to change the battery. It can't be hard, but it's not obvious
either. Any ideas ?
Old December 31st 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Murdock

Many pilots don't realize this, but they are required to have the proper
documentation before they work on their airplanes, even when only performing
preventive maintenance.

http://www.artex.net - Support & Resources - Documents - Manuals - ELT
110-4/ 110-6 / 100 HM Description, Installation, Operation and Maintenance
Manual

-Mike

Old January 6th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

It can't be hard, but it's not obvious
either. Any ideas ?

I had the same problem with mine during my owner-assisted annual last year.

You practically have to dislocate your wrist in order to maneuver the
screws/latches, etc. to remove it. I could not do it.

I finally got my A&P to do it. He, of course, smirked, reached in, (blind,
of course -- once your arm is in the access hole, you can't see the ELT) and
had the thing removed in seconds.

Putting it back in was even harder...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 6th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
It can't be hard, but it's not obvious
either. Any ideas ?

I had the same problem with mine during my owner-assisted annual last year.

You practically have to dislocate your wrist in order to maneuver the
screws/latches, etc. to remove it. I could not do it.

I finally got my A&P to do it. He, of course, smirked, reached in,
(blind, of course -- once your arm is in the access hole, you can't see
the ELT) and had the thing removed in seconds.

Putting it back in was even harder...

;-)

Ours is an easy to get out of the bracket, but the bracket is located
half-way down the tail. One of my mechanics prefers that I change it as
last time she did the plane tilted back on the tail and she was
head-first... Well, you get the picture.

Margy
Old January 6th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

One of the no-go items on my annual list is a 55 gallon barrel under the
tail tiedown ring for that very reason. 225 pounds has one hell of an aft
moment arm halfway down the fuselage tunnel lookin' at the pulleys going
round and round.

Jim

Old January 6th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

RST Engineering wrote:
One of the no-go items on my annual list is a 55 gallon barrel under the
tail tiedown ring for that very reason. 225 pounds has one hell of an aft
moment arm halfway down the fuselage tunnel lookin' at the pulleys going
round and round.

Jim

The time I found the mechanic using her walker (recent hip replacement)
as a tail stand I almost lost it.

Margy
Old January 6th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Godwin

I didn't realize how fortunate I am. Ours is in plain sight in the
baggage area; I just reach over the back seat and voila. :-)

Removing RTV John Home Built 6 October 31st 06 11:07 PM
Removing the coatings? Michael Horowitz Home Built 1 October 8th 05 09:32 PM
Removing Fabric Michael Horowitz Home Built 3 August 15th 05 11:25 AM
[igc-discuss] To change or not to change... rules ? Denis Soaring 0 February 16th 05 08:24 PM
Removing old antennas Jay Honeck Owning 30 March 21st 04 05:34 PM