FOI...lol... CFI oral?

Old January 3rd 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_2_]

Default FOI...lol... CFI oral?

Well, I scored 96% on the Fundamentals of Instruction exam and it took me
about ten minutes, so I kinda wish I'd not have stressed on all the
psychobabble so much. I told the CATS proctor I was shooting for 100% and
he joked "Well, it's a solid fifteen-minute exam."

The Flight Instructor written looks like a thorough refresher rather than a
tough exam, then he told me what to expect on the oral exam which guarantees
I'll have my nose in the books for awhile. Is the oral the toughest part of
the CFI rating?

-c

Old January 3rd 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
kontiki

gatt wrote:
Well, I scored 96% on the Fundamentals of Instruction exam and it took me
about ten minutes, so I kinda wish I'd not have stressed on all the
psychobabble so much. I told the CATS proctor I was shooting for 100% and
he joked "Well, it's a solid fifteen-minute exam."

The Flight Instructor written looks like a thorough refresher rather than a
tough exam, then he told me what to expect on the oral exam which guarantees
I'll have my nose in the books for awhile. Is the oral the toughest part of
the CFI rating?

In a word, yes. Expect to explain... actually teach... all areas of
aeronautical knowledge. Don't forget to be intimately familiar with
FARs with regard to endorsements student pilots.
Old January 3rd 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

gatt wrote:
Well, I scored 96% on the Fundamentals of Instruction exam and it took me
about ten minutes, so I kinda wish I'd not have stressed on all the
psychobabble so much. I told the CATS proctor I was shooting for 100% and
he joked "Well, it's a solid fifteen-minute exam."

The Flight Instructor written looks like a thorough refresher rather than a
tough exam, then he told me what to expect on the oral exam which guarantees
I'll have my nose in the books for awhile. Is the oral the toughest part of
the CFI rating?

-c

Depends on the examiner. If it isn't, it should be. It's the oral that
should be revealing the actual extent of what the applicant knows as
well as the applicant's ability to teach what he/she knows.
The best approach to the oral is to of course know the material, but
arrive prepared to be able to explain complicated matters in everyday
terms. If there's one thing a GOOD examiner looks for in a CFI
applicant, its the ability to do this.
Many CFI applicants make a mistake when they are asked a simple
question, then proceed to go into the most highly technical answers they
can dream up to deal with it.
It's good to know the technical side, and indeed you should know that
side, but the GOOD CFI can take that highly complicated and technical
answer and project it on any level necessary to meet an individual
student's ability to comprehend it.
THIS is what the oral is all about!! It's not what you know so much as
how well you can TEACH what you know :-))
Go for it!!
Best of luck

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 3rd 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:

The best approach to the oral is to of course know the material, but
arrive prepared to be able to explain complicated matters in everyday
terms. If there's one thing a GOOD examiner looks for in a CFI
applicant, its the ability to do this.

This is true for just about any teacher.
Old January 3rd 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

B A R R Y wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

The best approach to the oral is to of course know the material, but
arrive prepared to be able to explain complicated matters in everyday
terms. If there's one thing a GOOD examiner looks for in a CFI
applicant, its the ability to do this.

This is true for just about any teacher.

True enough. I found the more I taught people to fly, the better I got
at teaching people to fly. In the end, the student teaches you as much
about teaching as you teach them about flying.
Being a good CFI is indeed a two way street. :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 3rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dallas

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:29:24 -0800, gatt wrote:

Is the oral the toughest part of the CFI rating?

My CFI said his examiner made him teach an 8 hour class.

--
Dallas
Old January 3rd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Dallas wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:29:24 -0800, gatt wrote:

Is the oral the toughest part of the CFI rating?

My CFI said his examiner made him teach an 8 hour class.

The best one I ever heard was an examiner who brought in his 12 year old
kid; introduced the kid to a CFI applicant, told them to go into the
other room and shut the door. The applicant was to explain lift to the
kid and then both of them return to the office at which time the kid
would explain lift to the examiner.
I LOVED this approach!!!! :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 3rd 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 3, 10:29*am, "gatt" wrote:
Well, I scored 96% on the Fundamentals of Instruction exam and it took me
about ten minutes, so I kinda wish I'd not have stressed on all the
psychobabble so much. *I told the CATS proctor I was shooting for 100% and
he joked "Well, it's a solid fifteen-minute exam."

The Flight Instructor written looks like a thorough refresher rather than a
tough exam, then he told me what to expect on the oral exam which guarantees
I'll have my nose in the books for awhile. *Is the oral the toughest part of
the CFI rating?

An average amount of time for the oral is about 8 hours. Some
examiners schedule the oral on a different day than the flying. Expect
a lot of questions about FOI. This is one of the reasons some choose
to do the instrument instructor before the ASE instructor (to break up
a hard checkride).

-Robert, CFII
Old January 3rd 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Blanche

Dudley Henriques wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

The best approach to the oral is to of course know the material, but
arrive prepared to be able to explain complicated matters in everyday
terms. If there's one thing a GOOD examiner looks for in a CFI
applicant, its the ability to do this.

This is true for just about any teacher.

True enough. I found the more I taught people to fly, the better I got
at teaching people to fly. In the end, the student teaches you as much
about teaching as you teach them about flying.
Being a good CFI is indeed a two way street. :-)

--
Dudley Henriques

That's true of any topic. When I was teaching college level, I always
expected to learn more than my students. If I didn't learn something
new, either during prep or during class, then it was time for me to
stop teaching that class and find another.

Old January 3rd 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
NW_Pilot

Gatt, what did you use for prep of your FOI/CFI

"gatt" wrote in message

Well, I scored 96% on the Fundamentals of Instruction exam and it took me
about ten minutes, so I kinda wish I'd not have stressed on all the
psychobabble so much. I told the CATS proctor I was shooting for 100% and
he joked "Well, it's a solid fifteen-minute exam."

The Flight Instructor written looks like a thorough refresher rather than
a tough exam, then he told me what to expect on the oral exam which
guarantees I'll have my nose in the books for awhile. Is the oral the
toughest part of the CFI rating?

-c

preparing for commercial oral and practical gatt Piloting 42 May 16th 07 12:56 PM
Oral exam place and questions Mxsmanic Piloting 34 April 18th 07 06:12 PM
Oral Exam Prep -- recommendations and recollections Nicholas Kliewer Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 15th 04 05:00 PM
Private Pilot Oral Pete Piloting 9 December 2nd 03 05:41 PM
CPL/IR/MULTI ORAL Ian Leslie Piloting 2 July 11th 03 09:32 PM