Why airplanes fly

Old February 3rd 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Why airplanes fly

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

Jacques: Hi Tony. What's new with you?

Tony: I've made myself the center of attention on an online discussion
group. I can post the most obvious, innocuous statement and it will
draw dozens of responses.

Jacques: That seems unlikely. People are much smarter than that. What
is the nature of this discussion group?

Tony: It's a discussion group for pilots. I think they are full of
themselves. I could post something like "aircraft fly because their
wings generate lift" and I am certain that because I was the one who
posted it that it would create at least 30 responses.

Jacques: Pilots have to be pretty smart to get where they are. I can't
see how that would generate any responses. Okay, I could see maybe two
or three but dozens seems entirely out of the question. You aren't
that important. Pilots are trained to exercise good judgement.

Tony: Ha! I'm willing to bet you 20 euro that if I post the sentence
"Fixed-wing aircraft fly because their wings generate lift as they
move forward through the air," I will get at least 30 responses.

Jacques: Nonsense! That would not be worthy of response. Tell you what
- if you get more than 5 responses, I'll pay out 1 euro for every
response over that count - but not over 25 euros. If you get 5 or less

Tony: You're on!

No begging on Amazn this week eh?

Bertie
Old February 3rd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

John,

Hey, you forgot the lift fairy in there.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 4th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

On Feb 3, 4:50*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

And let it be known as well that lift and thrust are directly
proportional to the AMOUNT of money spent :-)

Like they say, it only takes two things to fly: airspeed and money.

(mostly money).
Old February 4th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

On Feb 3, 2:50 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
THIS is the real reason.

And let it be known as well that lift and thrust are directly
proportional to the AMOUNT of money spent :-)

--
Dudley Henriques

I thought lift and thrust were a function of the square root of
the amount of money spent. For helicopters, it's the cube root.

Dan

Old February 4th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Vaughn Simon

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
Nope.

Of course not. Everybody knows that it is lift fairies that make airplanes
fly. Good thing we have to lift fairies too, otherwise we would have nothing to
fight the drag demons.

Vaughn

Old February 4th 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, William Hung said:
Dude was doing just fine having a conversation with himself. He asked
the question, and he answered it. We all intrued into his
conversation. We should have left him alone to talk to himself.

I suspect he'd bet somebody that he couldn't post a single thing here
without a long thread starting with dozens of people jumping on him to
tell him how he's wrong.

Well, it's true, but only because MX is incapable of posting a message
which isn't worded in such a way that people don't feel strangely
compelled to respond.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old February 4th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roger[_4_]

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:59:11 -0500, Dudley Henriques

On Feb 3, 2:50 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
THIS is the real reason.

And let it be known as well that lift and thrust are directly
proportional to the AMOUNT of money spent :-)

--
Dudley Henriques

I thought lift and thrust were a function of the square root of
the amount of money spent. For helicopters, it's the cube root.

I'd been ignoring this thread until I see some of the pilots who know
what's going on had chimed in and it seems I wasn't disappointed.

Of course Cecil has the basics correct in that essentially there is
only one thing that makes an airplane fly and that is money and it's
easily proven. Start with a design: if you want it to go farther it
costs more money. If you want it to go faster it costs a lot more
money. If you want it to go faster AND farther the cost gets
ridiculous. However if you are foolish enough to want to move
something farther and faster with said airplane the const is
unbelievable.

Now as to Dudley's lift Demons, it's been proven that about half of
the increased money goes into the cost of the aircraft and the other
half is bribery money to payoff the Lift Demons. They're lazy little
critters that loath to do much work. They hate to lift things and
they neither like to move fast or for more than a few minutes at a
time so you have to hire them to work in shifts. On top of that they
have more skilled trades than the Auto workers.

First off, each airport has it's own accelerate and stop unions. These
are the Demons that accelerate your plane down the runway so the Lift
Demons that belong to the climbing union can take the plane up to
altitude where the cruise union takes over as well as the group that
catches the landing plane and slows it to a stop. (that second group
brings up some problems I'll get to later). Now the Demons in the
climb Union are like a bunch of burley doc workers. They can lift a
lot, but not real fast and with all that muscle burning carbs they can
eat you out of house and home if you try to climb too fast or too
long. They are only willing to do so much work so if you try to climb
too fast, steep, or for too long they start borrowing from the cruise
union which tires out the cruise Demons. They just don't have the
stamina for that kind of work so you end up losing a lot of range.

At any rate, the cruise union has it the easiest as they like to ease
off a little and just sit up there enjoying the view. Of course this
brings us to the descent demons who are more or less just along for
the ride until the landing demons take over. Now this is where things
get sticky. Remember I mentioned each airport has it's own accelerate
and stop Demons. Now if the landing Demons belong to the same union as
the stop Demons, or are at least on good terms with the local you are
in fine shape, but these guys tend to be quite territorial and often
there is a bit of a tussle as to which group lands the plane with the
result often being a less than elegant touchdown. The poor pilot
usually gets blamed for the results of this territorial dispute when
he was just an innocent bystander. So the next time a flight goes
great except for the landing,, don't blame the folks up front. It
really wasn't their fault. Blame the airport manager for skimming too
much off the top of the bribes to the Lift Demons or the locals being
a bit too greedy with their territory.

Roger (K8RI)

Dan

Lift Demons!

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 4th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
AJ

Why airplanes fly? Because if they didn't, they'd be cars.
Old February 4th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
FledgeIII

On Feb 3, 2:40 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
george wrote :

On Feb 4, 6:53 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Fixed-wing aircraft fly because their wings generate lift as they
move forward through the air.

.Why do aeroplanes fly ?
Because they can

There ya go!

Bertie

And here all this time I thought airplanes flew because the earth
sucks.*

* - ...it just sucks less when you're in an airplane!

New and Used Airplanes [email protected] Products 0 May 29th 07 05:02 PM
How many GA airplanes... john smith Piloting 2 May 10th 06 05:19 PM
Q On NYC Airplanes John A. Weeks III General Aviation 3 March 16th 06 01:35 PM
AIRPLANES! W P Dixon Home Built 10 October 7th 04 11:28 AM
E-bay airplanes Paul Folbrecht Owning 11 March 4th 04 01:00 AM