IFR in a Mooney to Charlotte - Follow up

Old February 25th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR in a Mooney to Charlotte - Follow up

Quick follow up on my IFR to CLT in a Piston Single.

Thanks to the group for the info - it was quite useful.

Took the trip starting last Thursday - used CLT ATC's web site to time
my arrival during a "slow" period.

I did ask my local controller if they had any LOA's with CLT. I'm
based in Columbia, SC - about 90 sm south. He said it's a striaght
shot below 7K, so I fled direct @ 5K.

I got to altitiude and was huslting along at 170 kts (tail wind!) and
got handed off to CLT. They first assigned me 36L - on the wrong side
of the airport for the GA FBO. Without asking, they gave me 36R, but
then came a few delaying vectors (70 degrees at one point). I was
asked what speed I could maintain and kept the bird right at max gear
extension speed. Made the highspeed turnoff (D3) and taxied to
Wilson.

This was a great FBO. Parked me, had transportation to the FBO and
then the terminal (to catch the commerical flight). We won't discuss
what Vegas did to my wallet. And they reversed the process on the
way home this morning.

On the way out, I was assigned closest rwy - 36 R again. I was in a
long line of Jets, but finally got cleared with a right turn to 110.
They took me way out East at 4K before letting me go direct. An ILS
with 500' ceiling and 1/4 mile awaited at CAE, but had no problems.

Again thank to this group, Wilson FBO, my local CAE controllers and
especially the CLT ATC who did a great job working me in to the flow
with the big guys.

Chris M.