Why is Soaring declining

Old April 22nd 04, 06:50 AM
Lennie the Lurker

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...

You are suggesting we not quote Lennie when we reply to him? I hope
that's not what you are asking, because I always quote the person I'm
replying for the usual reasons.

It doesn't matter, Eric. It's worked out well for both Wayne and
myself this time, His plane might be a little more convenient, and in
the same breath, the safety inproved some miniscule amount, and I have
a reason to play with my toys. I will return to the practice I have
followed for the last six months or so, in case nobody noticed, that
of reading the first 25 headers maybe once every couple of weeks.

However, for the benefit of HP owners, if you might possibly be
interested in the unit I've developed, when I am finished with the one
for Wayne, and have updated my drawings, this will be the last one I
will make, I'm burned out. For some short time I will be able to
send, if you request and send me one lousy buck, (I'm not gonna pay
the postage too) I can send a full set of the drawings, which you can
take to your local friendly machine shop and have one made. Be
forwarned I have already quoted it out at a normal shop rate, $65 per
hour, and between 16 to 20 hours, plus materials. I have made five of
them, each one being an improvement over the one before, and it's time
to move on to something else.
Old April 22nd 04, 07:57 AM
ADP

Eric,

T'was just a suggestion. I find Lennie insufferable.

The Top Posting suggestion was because I find it easier to read. Most folks
forward 5000 words without editing
as a quote and I hate to go all the way to the bottom to read the response.

Not a particularly important request.

Allan

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
ADP wrote:

Perhaps your newsreader filter can be set to "mark as read" messages with
"Lennie the Lurker" in the body. That will let you avoid any messages that
quote him.

I don't think this newsgroup has a stated policy, but the other two I
frequent do, and it is bottom posting. One group is absolutely adamant
about it, so I tend to stick with that convention. The reason given is it
is easier to follow a thread, though if you follow this group every day,
it's not as valuable as it is for groups with more postings, or ones you
follow infrequently. I do try to trim the post to the most relevant
portions, so it's not so much scrolling. That "adamant" group I mentioned
doesn't like that, either, so I don't do it there.

Old April 22nd 04, 08:47 AM
ADP

Martin,

That's because you folks drive on the other side of the road. ;-}

Allan

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message

I think that's bad advice. Top posting gets flamed in all the other
NGs I read.

Old April 22nd 04, 09:31 AM
Michel Talon

ADP wrote:
The category to which I was referring was (the one or two people who may
think that Lennie's posts have some value.)

And yes, I was suggesting that you do not quote Lennie because to read you I
will have to read him and that I will not do.

In addition, now that we are discussing posts, please put your response at
the front (on top) of your reply and that way
we won't have to read the previous post unless we want to. This is standard
newsgroup etiquette.

Sorry, this is exactly the inverse of the correct newsgroup etiquette.
Top post is extremely incorrect.

--

Michel TALON

Old April 22nd 04, 10:13 AM
Bill Gribble

My experience also :P

Martin Gregorie writes

/---------------------------------------\
| http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk |
| http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk |
\---------------------------------------/
Old April 22nd 04, 10:14 AM
Bill Gribble

ADP writes
That's because you folks drive on the other side of the road

You mean we drive on the right side of the road, as opposed to the, err,
right side?

--
Bill Gribble

/---------------------------------------\
Old April 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
Tony Verhulst

ADP wrote:
... Most folks forward 5000 words without editing as a quote.....

That's the real problem, IMHO - and it take so little effort to trim the
quoted post.

Tony V

Old April 22nd 04, 03:56 PM
ADP

Well, um, yes.

Allan

"Bill Gribble" wrote in
message .. .
ADP writes

Old April 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
ADP

I did a search for news group etiquette. Out of the 437 different hits I
investigated, only one mentioned top posting as a no-no.
Perhaps it is a European thing.
At any rate, I find top posting eminently more readable.

Perhaps it's a good thing I don't post on many other groups.

Allan