Tesla Model 3 and a glider

Old December 19th 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Tesla Model 3 and a glider

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:35:02 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 12/18/2019 5:19 PM:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:58:16 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
John Foster wrote on 12/18/2019 4:41 PM:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 9:06:14 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 7:42:30 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

My wife got a warning from a CA trooper for NOT ALLOWING sufficient space between her and the vehicle in front for speeding trucks to pass her on a 2-lane highway!

Tom

Always amazing when you get in trouble for accidentally keeping someone else from breaking the law, isn't it?

Steve Leonard

Gotta love that California mind-set where the criminal has more rights than the victim.

I'm with the trooper, who sounds generous in giving only a warning (mercy for an
out of state driver?). I've often been forced to drive below the speed limit for
many miles on two lane roads by vehicles that do not pass the lead vehicle, but
follow too closely to safely pass them. It's a difficult situation when I'm
driving a car, very difficult when driving the motorhome, and generally impossible
when I'm towing the glider trailer with my motorhome. If you aren't going to pass,
please, please leave space for others to do so.

You didn't read my comment very well - my wife WAS driving the speed limit: any trucks wanting to pass would have been SPEEDING. They wanted her to leave TWO spaces for semi's to pull in.

Ah, you didn't say semi's. I thought you meant big trucks without trailers. I
still admire and encourage his concern about people that follow closely, even if
he mishandled that situation. It's rare that people get reprimanded for following
too closely, even though it can trigger dangerous driving from other people trying
to pass.

A semi IS a truck. This was not about "following too closely," this was about leaving space for TWO semi's to pass her and pull in. AND the semi's would have to be clearly speeding. When you are pacing with traffic you DON'T leave such large gaps. It just shows that the CA trooper was not worried AT ALL about speeding trucks. He actually admonished her about being OVER THE LIMIT (55 mph) at 60 mph.

Tom
Old December 19th 19, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 8:35:02 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 12/18/2019 5:19 PM:
[...]

Following too closely is when there is not enough room for you to stop if the vehicle in front of you stops suddenly. Anything else is BS. Show me the traffic statute/law that requires leaving space between you and the next vehicle for a semi truck to pull in-between you.
Old December 19th 19, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:41:06 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 9:06:14 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 7:42:30 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

My wife got a warning from a CA trooper for NOT ALLOWING sufficient space between her and the vehicle in front for speeding trucks to pass her on a 2-lane highway!

Tom

Always amazing when you get in trouble for accidentally keeping someone else from breaking the law, isn't it?

Steve Leonard

Gotta love that California mind-set where the criminal has more rights than the victim.

With all due respect I submit that is a bit of a logic jump based on the word of the husband of an alleged aggrieved. I live in California, the planet's fifth largest economy, and leader in social, economic morays. I am also learned in the law. I can unequivocally state that there is no jurisdiction on Earth where an accused has more rights than the State. Believe it or not Victims Rights are relatively new in jurisprudence.
Old December 19th 19, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Anyone seen or heard from that Tesla 3? Fred has really drifted on this one..

I'm always interested in hearing about efficient, practical vehicles that can tow. Most glider trailers in the world are not towed by anything with a truck suspension! Of the three vehicles I compared towing the same heavy glider, the Chevy Tahoe was largest, least efficient and worst at towing. The 2.5l Outback was the winner. Holden Commodore in the middle somewhere.
The last quest for a vehicle had the following requirements:

Fun and comfortable to drive.
All wheel drive.
Can easily tow a Duo.
At least 30 miles per gallon (under 7.8l/100km) in normal use.
Long range.
Affordable.

A used GLK250 fit the bill well. Last trip was 244 miles at 78 mph average door to door, still at 29.7 mpg and arriving with half a tank. It'll do much better on that trip if kept below "a ton", but that's sometimes part of the fun and comfortable to drive bit, somewhat like a Tesla.
Jim
Old December 19th 19, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Now that you mention it, back when I had a glider with a trailer, my
wife's 3.6l Subaru Outback was the best towing vehicle I ever used. It's
hard to find the flat 6 for a Subaru these days, but she found one and
loves it.Â* Now with over 150,000 miles and still runs like new.

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 19th 19, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

At 16:10 19 December 2019, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
... leader in social, economic morays. I am also learned in the law.

"Morays" ?? Clearly more slippery than a Latin-literate legal eagle (who
would have written "mores") (;-o)

Old December 19th 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 12/18/2019 5:19 PM:
[...]

My reply was to Steve Leonard. I'm sorry it sounded like I was talking about your
wife's driving - that was not my intention.

Old December 19th 19, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Foster wrote on 12/18/2019 9:03 PM:

Following too closely is when there is not enough room for you to stop if the
vehicle in front of you stops suddenly. Anything else is BS. Show me the
traffic statute/law that requires leaving space between you and the next
vehicle for a semi truck to pull in-between you.

I don't know if there is a legal requirement to leave room for people enter your
lane ahead of you on a two lane highway, but as matter of courtesy and safety, I
routinely provide that space when I do not intend to pass the care ahead of me.
Courtesy - I don't want to impede drivers that are able to travel faster than I
can; Safety - so people are less likely to take the extra risk of having to pass
two or more vehicles at the same time. That's safer for them and the rest of us
that are nearby, or approaching.

Generally, this situation occurs when I'm in my motorhome, towing my trailer. I'm
already something a moving road block, so I try not to make it worse.

Old December 19th 19, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10:15:06 AM UTC-8, James Metcalfe wrote:
At 16:10 19 December 2019, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
... leader in social, economic morays. I am also learned in the law.

"Morays" ?? Clearly more slippery than a Latin-literate legal eagle (who
would have written "mores") (;-o)

Can you say auto-correct on phone? Sheesh, everyone is so critical. Hope you saw the forest through the tree. Merry Christmas
Old December 19th 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10:21:54 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Real simple, leave 2 seconds distance between you and the target in front, works at any speed and will keep you within the law.