Top Hat or XC Soar and new Samsung Galaxy Devices

Old January 22nd 20, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sky Surfer

Default Top Hat or XC Soar and new Samsung Galaxy Devices

Like the other Samsung users, I’ve found that newer Samsung devices running Android work well for Top Hat Soaring, XCSoar (and more) in terms of display quality, functionality, and battery life. My usual setup is a Tab S2 8.0 tablet running Top Hat and a J7 Crown (Tracfone) smartphone running Avare ADSB Receiver Pro and XSoar (as a backup to Top Hat). The Tab S2 8” is generous for the soaring app’s displays but is nicely cockpit-compact. Both tablet and smartphone can be suction cup mounted to the canopy. So they're easily movable between different gliders, giving me the same familiar setup.

A few related notes:

- Before takeoff, turn up the screen brightness, deactivate any screen lock, start the software/app, clear out unneeded background apps, turn off the display (device is still on), and shade the device from sunlight if possible, especially while on the ground. I typically turn the screen back on after tow release.
- Wear non-polarized sunglasses if you want to see the display in landscape format (depending on your lenses' polarization, I guess).
- Long flights on sunny days really drain the device’s battery. I’ve used a lithium ion car booster/jump battery’s USB port to recharge the tablet and phone. Tested this on the ground and over several flights and feel reasonably safe using this lithium resource for device charging.
- When practical, turn off the screen to extend battery life. XCSoar / Top hat can give certain audible alerts (e.g., airspace proximity warnings) even while the screen is off.
- Cell phone mounts are plentiful. But a suction cup mount for the 8” tablet was harder to find. This one is working acceptably well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old January 22nd 20, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 12:55:09 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
You can get a decent refurbished S8+ for around $250. I just did.
The screen brightness is even better than my old Dell Streak and the screen is slightly bigger even though the overall size of the phone is significantly smaller than the Dell Streak.
I can’t imagine a need for any brighter screen, nor a justification to compromise the additional functionality which color provides vs the Kobo. I understand that an option to overlay with skysight is coming, so one more reason to have a color screen. Not to mention the advantage of modern touch screens and gestures vs the Kobo which I believe is pressure sensitive touch screen.
I also ran it at home for 8 hours and it only used half the battery capacity. It was in flight mode and the screen was on all the time. I am not sure if it takes more battery when in flight. Hope to try it in the air soon.

Ramy

People's eyes differ. What I've seen of the Dell Streak did not look usable in sunshine to me. I use Tophat on a Nook Simple Touch with its large monochrome e-ink reflective screen. That's despite the hassles of getting a GPS data source (and external power) attached to it, although now that I have it set up with a direct cable to the FLARM it has advantages over a standalone phone. I sometimes use a Samsung J3 or J7 for Gliderlink and IGCdroid and as a backup copy of Tophat, but wouldn't want to squint at it for long.
Old January 23rd 20, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick (LS6-b EH)

I use an old S5, having used previous versions.

Totally happy with it, haven't had noticeable challenges in the sunlight after a few years on this device. Grabbed it off of Kijiji for $60US.

Easy win, great product (XC Soar that is)!