tow rope handling

Old June 19th 20, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default tow rope handling

What's a good way to wind up a tow rope quickly and easily, store it, and unwind it again without it getting into tangle?

I remember that the Scottish Gliding Union had a good method back in the 70s, can any member explain that?
Old June 19th 20, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Two easy options that I have seen:

1. Get a garden hose reel and wind it up on that
2. Get a bucket and coil it into the bucket

Old June 19th 20, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 7:53:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
What's a good way to wind up a tow rope quickly and easily, store it, and unwind it again without it getting into tangle?

I remember that the Scottish Gliding Union had a good method back in the 70s, can any member explain that?

The way our club does it is to match the 2 ends and tie them together. Then take this tied end and match it to the other end. Tie this in a knot. Then repeat 2 more times. To un-do the tied up rope simply un-knot the first knot, then the second etc. Keeps it free of tangles.
Old June 19th 20, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Roll it into a ball leaving the inside end out to pull it from, like a knitting ball.

Boggs

Old June 19th 20, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:53:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What's a good way to wind up a tow rope quickly and easily, store it, and unwind it again without it getting into tangle?

I remember that the Scottish Gliding Union had a good method back in the 70s, can any member explain that?

We use this type of cable reel. Stretch out the line and bring the ends together. On the other end, feed the loop through the hole and over the crank handle and start reeling in the line while holding the reel with the other hand on the inside sliding handle. Works absolutely tangle-free and is cheap!

Uli
'AS'

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayco-Cord-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old June 19th 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:53:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
What's a good way to wind up a tow rope quickly and easily, store it, and unwind it again without it getting into tangle?

I remember that the Scottish Gliding Union had a good method back in the 70s, can any member explain that?

Has anyone used the "monkey ball" technique? It is something like winding a ball of yarn. You then pull the end out of the center when you come to use the rope again.
Old June 19th 20, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:54:34 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:53:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
What's a good way to wind up a tow rope quickly and easily, store it, and unwind it again without it getting into tangle?

I remember that the Scottish Gliding Union had a good method back in the 70s, can any member explain that?

Has anyone used the "monkey ball" technique? It is something like winding a ball of yarn. You then pull the end out of the center when you come to use the rope again.

That is the way we wound are tow ropes (when I was still flying a gravity glider). You grab one end of the tow rope in your left hand and start winding a ball around it using your right hand. The ball ends up being about a foot in diameter when you're done. To "unroll" it just grab the end in the center and pull it out - no tangles, knots, or swear words.

Tom
Old June 19th 20, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I mounted two Harbor Freight hose reels on the back of oor golf cart. No brains are required to operate, as they are pretty self explanatory.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-ft...eel-63861.html
Old June 19th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hightime

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:53:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
What's a good way to wind up a tow rope quickly and easily, store it, and unwind it again without it getting into tangle?

I remember that the Scottish Gliding Union had a good method back in the 70s, can any member explain that?

+1 on hose real,it the easiest and fastest for anybody to use
Old June 19th 20, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

wrote:
What's a good way to wind up a tow rope quickly and easily,

store it, and
unwind it again without it getting into tangle?

I remember that the Scottish Gliding Union had a good method

back in the
70s, can any member explain that?

+1 on hose real,it the easiest and fastest for anybody to use

I am not a tug pilot so I don't have the full answer but,
You put the 2 ends together, then 1/2 again, then form a loop and
crochure it some how by forming loops and passing a loop through.
I honestly cannot tell more but I have seen it done dozens of times
,you end up with a platt about 6ft long that pulls out in seconds with
no knots or tangles.
looks like magic ,tug pilot trick.