Gliding Club Experiences

Old November 10th 20, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Gliding Club Experiences

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 10:37:08 AM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 08:43:11 -0800, waremark wrote:

I am interested in the comparison between VR and multiple screens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK VR goggles don't yet let you sit in a
physical cockpit and see it well enough to read the panel and see and
grab the auxiliary hand controls, e.g. release knob, airbrakes, trimmer
and u/c lever.

The only VR goggles I've tried are the MS Hololens, which were excellent
for displaying virtual objects while letting you see everything else in a
room, but may not be so good at displaying the external view round a
physical cockpit or showing the interior of a virtual cockpit complete
with grabbable knobs etc positioned so you can get them first time, every
time.

Personally, I have no problem with the realism of 180+ degree viz wrapped
round a physical cockpit with a full set of physical controls. Seeing
that the cockpit is nailed down while the external view rolls and pitches
round it, the movement realism is quite acceptable,at least for me. As I
said previously, I could have done with a bit more resolution and more
heaving textured runways, but could quite easily live with what our
club's system does. And you only look over the side at lino once. Now its
operational we don't allow people to stand alongside the cockpit while
its operating: that could be quite dangerous if such a person tried to
move about while the sim is manoeuvring.

Ours will be up and running again the current lockdown ends: come and
take a look, though it may be a good idea to check the GRL office first
to see when it and a backseater for it is available: ours was set up from
the outset as a training tool, so the front seat has no access to
simulator settings, etc.
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Being someone new to Condor2 and VR goggles (Oculus Quest 2), I can say that one of the biggest benefits I see to this system is the 3D nature of it. You are able to see your cockpit in 3D in front of you and watch your legs move as you move the rudder pedals, as well as see what your hand is doing when you move the joystick. You are able to judge distances better--distance of objects from your wingtips, as well as height above the ground. It is easier to judge your turn to base and to final, being able to look over your shoulder for that 45* angle to the runway. Your field of view is admittedly limited, which affects peripheral vision. But you can easily turn your head to see something on the sides. It is much easier to fly with the VR goggles, than to do so watching a screen in front of you. Granted, you don't get the benefit of real life G-forces acting on the glider, and you don't get the benefit of change in resistance on control surfaces based on speed you are flying. But it is surprisingly realistic. I highly recommend it. And now with the Oculus Quest being $100 cheaper than the Oculus Rift/S, it is now more within financial reach. The 64G Oculus Quest 2 is now only $300. You will need a computer powerful enough to drive it though, and a USB C/3.x cable to connect it to the computer. The screen resolution is also reportedly 50% better, but I can still notice some slight "screen door" effect. Well worth it though.
Old November 10th 20, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 2:48:20 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
[...]

Off track- Start another thread.
UH
Old November 11th 20, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 11 November 2020 at 01:13:57 UTC+2, waremark wrote:
About the 24 month requirement for EASA licences.

That has not applied to pilots authorised under the BGA system. And it is pilots' own responsibility to maintain the validity of their licences. Personally, I have been keeping my SPL alive by taking other instructors flying with me in my Arcus - the requirement is two flights with an instructor in 24 months! I maintain my BGA instructor rating by taking part in instructor Module D courses - and I have also been keeping my EASA instructor rating alive by having an assessment of competence every three years. Add on medicals and power ratings and it is easy to lose track.

Well of course it is pilots own responsibility to keep the right to use licence valid?! You probably find that sentence from the first paragraph of any licencing regulation

I'm aware that the 24 month requirement is to fly with instructor, not flight examiner (did not know that definition of word checkride includes that, english being my third best language).

I did not know that UK pilots could use EASA licences, but without sticking to all paragraphs, that sounds simply amazing. Reading this makes reasoning behind brexit even more mind-boggling.