A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Need Help with Towplane Insurance!

Old March 4th 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Need Help with Towplane Insurance!

I might not have been clear at the beginning. Our camps that we are doing have all the tow planes (6 for Nephi and 4 for Logan) and pilots already worked out. We are great there. This search is for the rest of the year for when we want to fly Nephi and all of you want to come outside of a camp week and come fly with us.

With Parowan having quieted down glider operations over the last 5 years, and I am not sure of the future plans in Ely - I've heard some tow planes are for sale, Nephi can and will become a prime destination for many who want to come visit with their gliders and come soar Utah and the Great Basin. We just need to get you all up in the air.

We are very interested in winching and are planning on doing winching in Nephi very heavily some day. We need critical mass though. We are planning on having 5 gliders (4 private ships and one club ship) based there for the 2015 season. We just don't have critical mass yet of local pilots to effectively do a winch operation. In 2-3 years, we should have 20+ private ships based there and we will be to the point where the local pilot numbers can support a winch. It is in the plan!

Thanks,
Bruno - B4
Old March 4th 15, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 12:13:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I might not have been clear at the beginning. Our camps that we are doing have all the tow planes (6 for Nephi and 4 for Logan) and pilots already worked out. We are great there. This search is for the rest of the year for when we want to fly Nephi and all of you want to come outside of a camp week and come fly with us.

With Parowan having quieted down glider operations over the last 5 years, and I am not sure of the future plans in Ely - I've heard some tow planes are for sale, Nephi can and will become a prime destination for many who want to come visit with their gliders and come soar Utah and the Great Basin. We just need to get you all up in the air.

Thanks,
Bruno - B4

Just spoke with James at the Ely Jet Center. 3-04-2915 12:15 pm MST.

They plan on a normal operation for the summer of 2015. They will have 2 tow planes/2 tow pilots available for a 7 day/week summer operation.

Hint..., he said "jokingly", if someone came along and offered him US $70K for a tow plane, consideration would be given. Deal might even include a years insurance!!

Best. #711.

Old March 4th 15, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_36_]
external usenet poster

Winch..Winch..Winch..Winch..Winch..Winch! I have an unfulfilled dream of a Aircraft Carrier Catapult launch which is almost equivalent to my dream of a $15 tow. Cheap tows would help with the wife negotiations as a tow cost is pushing above a round of golf. If a tow fee and the cost of fast food dinner were closer, I would have a slam dunk cheap hobby argument, not factoring all the ancillary costs of course which are lost with my fuzzy accounting. Now if only the glider God's would drop a new Roman's winch out of the clouds carried by thermal and wave lift from his factory in California to Nephi Utah, we would be in business. I guess it is the classic chicken and egg problem.

John Ackerson
DG-303 Acro with CG hook ready and waiting!