rectifier

Old August 14th 04, 03:21 PM
Mark Smith

Default rectifier

Ken Moffett wrote:

John Ammeter wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:50:48 -0600, "David"
wrote:

So I have a 503 with batt and am installing a rectifier but when I hook up
the red lead to a 15 amp breaker it blows it. The rectifier has four leads
two yellow and red black. Still blows even when the yellow are not connect
they are the lighting coils. I have a hot lead going to the bar where I hook
the red lead from the rec to. This is the second rec the first did the same
thing but it had a short inside between the red black wire.
Any suggestions.
David

Is this a full wave bridge rectifier?? Where are the other
leads attached?

If it's a full wave I'd speculate that the yellow leads are
the AC input while the black and red are the DC output
leads.

Can't tell more without the rest of the info...

I bet Jim Weir can help you, though...

John

John,
Right on the color code. And, right on the question of what the other
three leads connect to.
And what is the rectifier supposed to do???
And I'll show my ignorance....What's a 503?

a 503 is an air cooled ultralight engine,

46 HP as a single carb, 50 or so with two,

the older ones had points, newer a dual CDI,

the yellow wires are the lighting coil outputs on both the points and
the CDI version,

points engiones had an additional lighting coil, two green wires,

to save money, rotax paralled the outputs using the black tracer in a
yellow and in a green lead, they may be separated for multiple
uses,,,,,,,,,,

output is AC, regulator/rectifier needed to convertto DC for either
battery charging or running 12 v stuff,

suggest a battery to smooth the voltage from the rect/reg output

if the systemn is shorting without connection to the lighting coil, you
have a short somewhere, either the rect/reg or your wiring,

since you've tried two rect/regs, my guess is you have a short in your
system

--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales http://www.trikite.com