Product to remove oil stains from concrete for painting?

Old September 10th 04, 12:05 PM
Scott

Default Product to remove oil stains from concrete for painting?

I'm looking to find some product that can remove oil stains from
concrete so that paint will stick. My shop used to be used by a car
mechanic and now that I build airplanes in it, I'd like to paint the
floor a very light gray or off-white. I don't think that just using
"Gunk" will remove it enough to get the paint to stick. Maybe some sort
of epoxy-like sealer first? Any ideas?

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old September 10th 04, 01:38 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Scott wrote:

I'm looking to find some product that can remove oil stains from
concrete so that paint will stick. My shop used to be used by a car
mechanic and now that I build airplanes in it, I'd like to paint the
floor a very light gray or off-white. I don't think that just using
"Gunk" will remove it enough to get the paint to stick. Maybe some sort
of epoxy-like sealer first? Any ideas?

Get the stuff from any automitive supply place, or try "Kitty Litter."
Old September 10th 04, 01:44 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:05:30 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I'm looking to find some product that can remove oil stains from
concrete so that paint will stick. My shop used to be used by a car
mechanic and now that I build airplanes in it, I'd like to paint the
floor a very light gray or off-white. I don't think that just using
"Gunk" will remove it enough to get the paint to stick. Maybe some sort
of epoxy-like sealer first? Any ideas?

Scott, any place that sells the paint for a concrete floor also sells
a product that will clean it. I think it involves washing the floor
with some sort of acid solution, then thorough rinsing, then extended
drying and finally the actual paint application.

Corky Scott
Old September 10th 04, 03:41 PM
Tim Ward

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news ...
In article ,
Scott wrote:

I'm looking to find some product that can remove oil stains from
concrete so that paint will stick. My shop used to be used by a car
mechanic and now that I build airplanes in it, I'd like to paint the
floor a very light gray or off-white. I don't think that just using
"Gunk" will remove it enough to get the paint to stick. Maybe some sort
of epoxy-like sealer first? Any ideas?

Get the stuff from any automitive supply place, or try "Kitty Litter."

I've had good luck on my driveway using TSP.
That used to be tri-sodium phosphate, but now the label says it's sodium
carbonate and sodium sesquicarbonate.
I sprinkle it on fairly heavy, then keep it wet for awhile, scrub a little
with a stiff broom, and wash it off. It gets off the heavy deposits,
anyway.

Tim Ward

Old September 10th 04, 06:31 PM
Bingo

I used lacquer thinner and it works great. Dries fast. You might consider
doing a tile floor. I did it in my garage and it works great. More
resistance to scratching, eay to clean, and won't peel up like a lot of the
painted hangars here at the airpark. Get the tile that they use in grocery
stores. I am talking about the stuff that is similar to what used to be
called VAT, or vinyl asbestos tile. You can get it in 16x16 tiles, and it's
easy to lay down. If you have the money, hire it done.

Jim

Old September 11th 04, 12:01 AM
Scott

Damn! Never thought about that. Unfortunately, the shop is 26' X 100'.
Lotsa tiles man! And too cheap to hire the job out. Fortunately,
the shop can be sub-divided, so I could tile approx. 26' X 36' and it
wouldn't be such a damn stressful weekend project!

Scott

Old September 11th 04, 01:06 AM
Mike Murdock

http://www.pournrestore.com/

Just bought a bottle, haven't tried it yet.

-Mike

Old September 11th 04, 02:52 AM
Stan Kap

Scott,

I watched a guy at an airport one time that took a 55 gal drum cut off both
ends then set it over the spot on the floor where the oil was, he then
poured some fuel on the stain inside the perimeter of the drum and set it on
fire. It burned away the oil stain completely. Later he epoxied the entire
hangar. It was a big hangar too, about 150 x 200 for King Airs and the
Citations.

Stan Kapushinski

Old September 11th 04, 04:26 AM
Bart D. Hull

Scott,

I painted my floor 10 years ago and only have a spot the size of the
bottom of a pop can that came off under the
hot tire of my pickup truck. I used a strong TSP solution (use the REAL
stuff, not a TSP substitute) and then sanded
the entire floor real good with a 20" floor buffer from a local rental
shop. I used a 2 part epoxy floor paint from
Sherwin-Williams industrial paint store. (Don't know if they make the
stuff anymore.) I used 2 gallons for a deep
2 car garage. I suggest using the color flakes that you can sprinkle on
the wet epoxy to give it a bit of traction. My
floor is a bit slippery but I can easily clean it with a cloth broom and
every bit of composite dust is taken up with
little effort.

Don't skim on the prep or the paint or you'll end up like my friends
neighbor. After a month of not parking in the garage
the neighbor drove his new 'Vette into the garage and parked it after
the tires were good and warm. When he pulled out
of the garage the paint rolled up on his tires. He was seriously bummed.

Some visitors from the local metalworking club came over for a little
show and tell on composite construction and visited my
garage-shop. No one brought doughnuts like at the other meetings and I
inquired why afterwards. They mentioned they didn't
want to make a mess in my clean shop. Shoot, I would have thrown some
dirt down if I knew my shop and floor were gonna
cost me doughnuts! Floor must have looked a bit too good in my shop
photos. See links below if you want to see my shop
and floor.

Bart

--
Bart D. Hull