Epoxy Bonding to Aluminum and Magnesium

Old September 15th 04, 01:14 AM
Cam

Why no washers? The little bit of radius at the root of the shank of
the bolt needs somewhere to go, yes? And may I assume you're putting
these bolts in a reamed hole?

You'll find the bolt will bury itself into the aluminum or magnesium and
that little radius will tend to
squeeze the metal onto the shaft. Try it on a sample and have a look, the
bolt will be hard to get back out of the hole also.
A radius on the nut can do the same.

Cheers Cam

Ps. maybe not "aeronautically correct," but it works.

Old September 15th 04, 03:16 AM
Ernest Christley

Vernon Klukas wrote:
5. Galvanic corrosion .. magnesium is at -1.6 V and alumnium at -0.75 V on
the galvanic table. That is a big different. You definitely need something
to separate the two or the magnesium is going to get gobbled up !!

Hmm, perhaps. I get that aluminum alloy is about -1.05. But look at
the difference between Cast Iron (-.5) and aluminum (-1.05). Lots of
cars, with WATER running through their engines, have cast iron blocks
and aluminum heads. In this situation, there is no ready source of
electrolyte. I don't see this as a huge concern. I'm more bothered
by oil leaks.

Auto engines have head gaskets between the electro different metals,
plus if you don't run an inhibitor is a mutli-metal water cooled engine
you will corrode the aluminum away, period.

Yours
Vern

Rotary engines don't. Some people are running straight H20. Never
heard of that particular problem...period.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old September 15th 04, 11:21 AM
smjmitchell

I have never seen an epoxy that will work to 500 deg F ... the limit from
what I have seen is approx 450 deg F and even that is pushing it. However
whilst some epoxies are claimed to be able to have Tg's of 350-450 F it is
not quite that simple. I know because I am working with these adhesives on a
current project ... in fact I have just had a series of Tg tests run non 4
different epoxies and the results were surprising. The issue is that you can
only achieve the high Tg numbers quoted by a very careful and usually very
complex post cure heating cycle. A homebuilder would never achieve this.
With a simple post cure (i.e. ramp up, hold, ramp down) some of the resins
with more modest Tg values will perform a lot better ... actually the Tg
numbers you will get from these resins will surpass those for the the resins
which claim higher Tg values.

"Ryan Young" wrote in message
om...
(Ryan Young) wrote in message

. com...

These angles are bolted and epoxied to the side of the magnesium case.
My point: what good is the epoxy?

I had further conversation with Scott Casler.
Hi

I use a epoxy that is similar to JB Weld.

Scott ( Hummel Engines)
Old September 15th 04, 04:00 PM
Ryan Young

(Ryan Young) wrote That got me to thinking. Taper
pins.

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/docimages...3/28/54217.PD4

Threads on the outside. I'll have to run the reamer in from the sump
side, through the aluminum angle and control the depth pretty
carefully.

Another dabbler chimed in:

Hi Ryan,
I am not keen on using taper pins in this application. You will be relying on
the magnesium to hold the pins and I think it is a little soft for that task.
It seems like the sandwich idea with the through bolts will keep the mount from
moving around better.

CW

AS21 and AS41 have compressive yields up around 20ksi, comparable to
2024 - in the Annealed state! In the tempers we usually use for things
like wing spars, the yield is about 62K.

Plus, it looks like there is no way to get a reamer in from the case
side anyway. See the web page I built last night,
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/sonerai...sEngineMnt.jpg

Scratch that idea. Back to AN3 bolts in reamed holes, hold the epoxy
;-)
Old September 16th 04, 02:45 AM
Leon McAtee

(Ryan Young) wrote in message om...
(Ryan Young) wrote in message . com...

I've posted a page of drawings, photos, and my usual snide remarks:
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/Sonerai/UCPlusEngMnts.html

Re the question on your site about removing the oil pick up:

Remove the 10mm bolt/nut, heat around the front with a propane torch
and wiggle. The tube should come out fairly easly. Older cases are
more work. Reverse the procedure to install. If your lucky all will
be well. A bit of "bearing n stud mount" helps seal. If your really
picky check to see that it holds a vacuum. Some stock tubes get
cracked so this may not be a bad idea anyway................

Some really old cases don't have the hold down 10mm nut. A 17mm nut
(old case nut)welded/brazed to the top of the tube (under the cam
bore) keeps the tube from rotating up and out of the oil.
Leon McAtee
Still looking for Aeronca C-2/3 factory drawings

And maybe a Franklin 2A-120