Mid Week Towing Availability

Old July 29th 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Mid Week Towing Availability

With the contest season a bust this year I am thinking about taking the glider on a road trip to someplace in the US where I can fly for a week or more. So - can we please start a string here about tow operations where tows (or even winch/auto launches) are available mid week, or 6-7 days per week?

Location, days of operation, and contact info would be great. Info about motels, camp grounds or on airfield camping would be helpful too. Sadly, I can't share any information myself as there are no operations in New England that are operating full time 7 days right now. Sugarbush VT did not open this year.
Thanks
ROY
Old July 29th 20, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Seminole Lake in Florida. They're open every day this summer if the weather is good. Camping on field. Swimming pool.Several local pilots flying on good soaring days. Tows always available. 352-394-5450.
Old July 29th 20, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Many places in the west, but probably further than you willing to travel.

Ramy
Old July 29th 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Franklin Burbank

Bermuda High Soaring in South Carolina is open Thursday-Sunday.

Additional information available at www.glider.org
Old July 29th 20, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
With the contest season a bust this year I am thinking about taking the glider on a road trip to someplace in the US where I can fly for a week or more. So - can we please start a string here about tow operations where tows (or even winch/auto launches) are available mid week, or 6-7 days per week?

Location, days of operation, and contact info would be great. Info about motels, camp grounds or on airfield camping would be helpful too. Sadly, I can't share any information myself as there are no operations in New England that are operating full time 7 days right now. Sugarbush VT did not open this year.
Thanks
ROY

Roy - it may be a long haul for you from New England but Sundance Aviation in Moriarty, NM is a good destination. Went there several times by now and always had a good time. Tows are available 7 days, RV camping on the field is possible but there are also plenty of small motels available on Rt66 in town. Check it out!

Uli
'AS'

Old July 29th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

You can get tows from Kim Hall most days in Logan, Utah.

Check out the options at the other Utah Soaring Association airports (Heber, Morgan, and Nephi) on this page: http://www.utahsoaring.org/tows/

Paul A.

Old July 29th 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ackerson

Utah is the place to go!.. Long drive but Tows are available out of 4 different airports with endless possibilities of tasks. Hit the grand canyon one day and the high Uinta mountains the next. Rip through the west desert with 100 knot averages on a good day. I love flying the mountain ski resorts with relatively good lift almost every day through July and August.
john
Old July 29th 20, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

One thing to be aware of when considering NM/AZ/UT/CO is the monsoon season.
Less of a factor the further west and north you go.

Ramy
Old July 30th 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 7/29/20 4:21 PM, Ramy wrote:
One thing to be aware of when considering NM/AZ/UT/CO is the monsoon season.
Less of a factor the further west and north you go.

Ramy

Correct. Monsoon was late this year, but just started. Moriarty had a
great season, but it's been fairly quiet there recently.
Old July 30th 20, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Coincidentally I’ve organized a week long operation out of Twisp, WA on the 5th. There’s still three spots available if anyone is interested.