Speed of a vario

Old August 9th 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Speed of a vario

Which vario has lowest latency? (Least delay to indicate thermal we pass)

Anyone has done side by side tests?

Old August 9th 20, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Schuemann CV “taught band instrument, if you are talking about mechanical units. Too fast to use, without a restrictor installed.

Most modern electronic vario’s can be set too fast to use as well.
Old August 9th 20, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

I’ve never understood how a vario can be “too fast to use.” I would rather know I just flew into the lift/sink 1 second ago than 3 seconds ago. At the extreme, I want to know the moment I hit lift/sink. How I react to that information is another thing but I see nothing wrong with precise information.
Old August 9th 20, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Thermals are turbulent, and a 1 sec time constant means that the vario would be all over the place and completely useless. Use your butt instead.
Old August 9th 20, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 08 Aug 2020 23:58:05 -0700, Tango Whisky wrote:

Thermals are turbulent, and a 1 sec time constant means that the vario
would be all over the place and completely useless. Use your butt
instead.

Best fast electronic I've used is the (now quite ancient) Borgelt B.40.
Somehow it manages to be both fast and adequately damped: the needle
never jitters about, but I agree with Tango Whisky - never ignore what
your butt is telling you.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old August 9th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 7:49:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Which vario has lowest latency? (Least delay to indicate thermal we pass)

Anyone has done side by side tests?

The Air Avionics (Butterfly) vario has inertially derived vertical air mass movement. This is nearly instant, the indicator moves perhaps 1/10 of a second after your butt. It leads the barometric needle (both it's own, and the two other variometers in my panel) by over a second, and I have them set to the lowest time constant.
Old August 9th 20, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

To (mis)quote Obi-wan Kenobi - "Use the butt, Luke".

You'll feel it before the vario says anything.

On 8/8/2020 9:39 PM, Stephen Szikora wrote:
I’ve never understood how a vario can be “too fast to use.” I would rather know I just flew into the lift/sink 1 second ago than 3 seconds ago. At the extreme, I want to know the moment I hit lift/sink. How I react to that information is another thing but I see nothing wrong with precise information.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 9th 20, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Corstian Boerman

I like to open the window in order to hear what the air mass around the glider is doing. Works great when flying tight and weak thermals.
Old August 9th 20, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 7:49:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Which vario has lowest latency? (Least delay to indicate thermal we pass)

Anyone has done side by side tests?

Sage Vario's are the fastest mechanical I know, however the seat of your pants is be far the most accurate if you fly well. Our typical TE systems have flaw that would prevent even the fast electrical or mechanical from giving good information. Have you ever glanced at your TE on take roll? Any horizontal wind gust shows as lift and sink, a typical take off roll shows 4-5 FPM lift!!. Using the seat of pants combined with a averager works for most of us.

BG

Old August 9th 20, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 9:49:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Which vario has lowest latency? (Least delay to indicate thermal we pass)

Anyone has done side by side tests?

This interesting summary of the physiological delay of the visual system could be considered another reason a hypothetical 'instant' vario would be less than useful. If you like technicalities, that is.

Scientists have revealed the human brain has a 15-second lag that helps stabilize incoming visual information, which we don’t notice bombarding us in the course of our everyday lives.
Eyes tend to receive an enormous information load from dusk till dawn, and as one opens his or her eyes in the morning, the brain starts its intensive work, processing incoming pictures from the surroundings, including imagery from TV screens and computer monitors.

A team of vision scientists at the University of California, Berkeley and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) revealed this secret of the human brain: To save us from insanity induced by a constantly changing torrent of pictures, shapes and colors – both virtual and real world – the brain filters out information, failing in most cases to notice small changes in a 15-second period of time.

It actually means that what we do see is, in fact, a mixture of past and present. According to the research, published in the journal Nature Neuroscience, stability is attained at the expense of accuracy.

"What you are seeing at the present moment is not a fresh snapshot of the world but rather an average of what you've seen in the past 10 to 15 seconds," said study author Jason Fischer, Ph.D., a neuroscientist at MIT.