MEL Gider Winch

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 21st 15, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default MEL Gider Winch

At 15:21 21 July 2015, Dan Marotta wrote:
What's the problem with it? What is the damage? The write-up says it's
repairable.

If we had a 6 drum winch at Moriarty we could sell at least a couple of
the 5 tow planes based on the field. I, for one, would take far fewer
air tows.

If you wait a while about 40 MVG/MEL 6 drum winches will appear on the
market in the UK. The Air Cadets are replacing all the winches with
Skylaunch.
The MVG Winch is an excellent winch but the hydraulics, air system and
electrics can be a problem, they are quite complicated. Having said that
they give the best launch I have ever experienced, I have been all the way
to 3000ft, the only winch I know that can carry enough cable and have the
power to do this on a regular basis. Other winches can achieve it but the
MVG has a faster and smoother acceleration. They are very good when they
work, but they do have Ducatti tendencies.