Replacement Cabin Speaker for Cessna?

Old October 10th 05, 07:51 PM
John Clonts

Default Replacement Cabin Speaker for Cessna?

Anybody know where to get a replacement cabin speaker other than
Cessna? They want $110 for it!

This is for a Cessna 210M. The speaker has 4 terminals. Two of them
are wired to ground. One of the others is from the audio output, and
the other is from the stall and landing gear horn unit.

--
Thanks!
John Clonts

Old October 10th 05, 09:45 PM

John Clonts wrote:
: Anybody know where to get a replacement cabin speaker other than
: Cessna? They want $110 for it!

: This is for a Cessna 210M. The speaker has 4 terminals. Two of them
: are wired to ground. One of the others is from the audio output, and
: the other is from the stall and landing gear horn unit.

Hahahaha! $110... now that's over the top. The aircraft speakers I've seen
have been 4ohm *or* 8ohm. They can be set up either way... depends on how the other
things (like audio panel) are configured. If you can figure out which way it's set
up, buying a compatible on from Radio Sh*t would seem to be in order. Make sure to
check your compass after the install!

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old October 10th 05, 11:59 PM
RST Engineering

Use your head, sir. THe speaker is an oddball double voice coil unit that
can be driven with either radio or warning horns. Rat Shack wouldn't even
know a double voice coil speaker if it bit them in the hiney.

I'd suggest that John contact Neal's Speaker Repair in Sacramento. He's
done some work for me and does a damned fine job of it ... and if he says he
can't get double coil repair parts, you've got Cessna to deal with.

Jim

Old October 11th 05, 01:56 AM
John Clonts

"RST Engineering" wrote in message ...

I'd suggest that John contact Neal's Speaker Repair in Sacramento. He's done some work for me and does a
damned fine job of it ... and if he says he can't get double coil repair parts, you've got Cessna to deal
with.

Hello Jim, I have done just that, thanks!

I don't know much about audio, but isn't there some kind of "2-to-1 transformer" which could be put in there
to "combine" the two audio signals and drive a conventional ($15?) speaker?

Cheers,
John

Old October 11th 05, 08:15 AM
RST Engineering

I play fast and loose with the design of aircraft systems UNTIL it comes to
some sort of safety-of-flight consideration.

Yes, of COURSE I could tell you how to drive one speaker from two audio
sources using a transformer. Would it provide the same reliability that a
dual-cone speaker gave you? I don't know because I can't run the tests that
the Cessna engineer ran to certify the sucker. I'm not about to tell you
how to do something that would compromise that design.

Having SAID that, I'm more than willing to discuss how to drive a single 8
ohm speaker from two audio sources PROVIDED that I'm not told that one of
them is the horns for the stall and landing gear. That would violate my
personal comfort limits.

Jim

Old October 11th 05, 01:56 PM
John Clonts

Yes, of COURSE I could tell you how to drive one speaker from two audio
sources using a transformer. Would it provide the same reliability that a
dual-cone speaker gave you? I don't know because I can't run the tests that
the Cessna engineer ran to certify the sucker. I'm not about to tell you
how to do something that would compromise that design.

Sorry, no, I was speaking from the standpoint of "Couldn't the Cessna
engineers have designed it to use a conventional speaker, using some
sort of transformer...etc". I take your answer to mean basically "yes,
but perhaps they felt this was more reliable, etc". I doubt the Cessna
engineers considered the effect that many a pilot (not me, of course)
would continue to fly their plane without warning horns while he was
trying to find and order an oddball speaker whereas he would have just
picked one up from Radio Shack and put it in, had it been a standard
off the shelf unit.

BTW, Mr. Neal replied right away, that he did not have the parts for it

Thanks,
John

Old October 11th 05, 02:18 PM

RST Engineering wrote:
: Use your head, sir. THe speaker is an oddball double voice coil unit that
: can be driven with either radio or warning horns. Rat Shack wouldn't even
: know a double voice coil speaker if it bit them in the hiney.

: I'd suggest that John contact Neal's Speaker Repair in Sacramento. He's
: done some work for me and does a damned fine job of it ... and if he says he
: can't get double coil repair parts, you've got Cessna to deal with.

: Jim

My ignorance of the Cessna dual voice coil aside, I do know that dual voice
coil speakers are used in audio system. Generally, it's for subwoofers, though, so
something small enough for an aircraft audio system would likely be a specialty item.

My experience was with my own PA-28 with dual taps on the voice coils... one
for 8ohm, one for 4ohm. All my (relevant) avionics I installed had selections for 4/8
ohm speaker settings. I assumed this was a typical choice, but I'm apparently
incorrect.

Interesting to consider that "emergency systems" such as alarms and horns use
a speaker for annunciation.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old October 11th 05, 06:20 PM
RST Engineering

I'd place it in the STOOPID category.

Now, not that I'd recommend it for a certificated aircraft, but if I needed
such a device on my tractor, I'd go down to Rat Shack and get an 8 ohm
speaker that would fit the hole departed by the old speaker. I'd also buy a
273-1366 110vac - 25vacct transformer. One side of the speaker is grounded.
Take the transformer and cut off the PRIMARY (110 vac sice) leads very close
to the transformer; they will not be used. Run the AUDIO to one side of the
secondary, run the HORN to the other side of the secondary, and run the
center tap of the secondary to the remaining speaker terminal.

All you can do is try it. I openly admit that I've never tried this scheme
for adding audio signals, but it SHOULD work. If it doesn't, then an OEM
speaker may be the only answer.

Report results here that we may all learn.

Jim

Old October 11th 05, 06:26 PM
RST Engineering

And a second thought that didn't present itself until I thought a little
more. Can you fit two smaller speakers in the same space as the original
speaker? With the speaker technology we have today, we can get excellent
sound out of small speakers.

You may have to fabricate a mounting plate to make it happen, but this seems
to be a fairly decent solution.

Jim

Report results here that we may all learn.

Old October 11th 05, 06:45 PM
Roy Smith

RST Engineering wrote:
Now, not that I'd recommend it for a certificated aircraft, but if I needed
such a device on my tractor, I'd go down to Rat Shack and get an 8 ohm
speaker that would fit the hole departed by the old speaker. I'd also buy a
273-1366 110vac - 25vacct transformer. One side of the speaker is grounded.
Take the transformer and cut off the PRIMARY (110 vac sice) leads very close
to the transformer; they will not be used. Run the AUDIO to one side of the
secondary, run the HORN to the other side of the secondary, and run the
center tap of the secondary to the remaining speaker terminal.

Jim,

You must be the only guy I know who owns a tractor with a stall
warning horn :-)