Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

Old November 2nd 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Default Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

I started in 1988 and it was in there then. Nobody knew how bad the 757
was at that time, the crashes were just starting to pile up. They
changed the 757 to basically a heavy in the 90's.

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

In rec.aviation.piloting Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Mine would be "don't miss an approach when you don't have enough fuel to fly
another one."

This reminds me, and perhaps Newps could pitch in on this as
well, seeing that you've been controlling for the past 15 - 20something
years.

When did the Wake Turbulence advisory become standard in the
.65? From what I've read (I got into aviation in 2000), it happened
shortly after the King Air crash at KSNA that killed the founder of
In-N-Out Burger. It was concluded that the King Air had been caught in
the UAL B757's wake, rolled into a steep descent and crashed.

I don't have any versions of the .65 from back at that time
(according to Wikipedia, it was 1993). Do you have any versions of it
from that time, and did it address the Wake Turbulence advisory?

Old November 2nd 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
I started in 1988 and it was in there then. Nobody knew how bad the 757
was at that time, the crashes were just starting to pile up. They changed
the 757 to basically a heavy in the 90's.

What planes, or how heavy does a plane need to be to get the heavy
designation?

What do they call the ones just below that, and do they issue wake warnings
behind them?

Thanks.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 2nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Morgans wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

I started in 1988 and it was in there then. Nobody knew how bad the 757
was at that time, the crashes were just starting to pile up. They changed
the 757 to basically a heavy in the 90's.

What planes, or how heavy does a plane need to be to get the heavy
designation?

Generally speaking a heavy is a plane that has the ability to fly at
weights above 255,000 pounds, whether or not they actually are. It used
to be 300,000 but they lowered it so it would include the 757 which is
now for all intents and purposes now a heavy.

What do they call the ones just below that, and do they issue wake warnings
behind them?

Large. You would issue a warning to all aircraft in the small or small
plus weight class.
Old November 3rd 07, 01:14 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
"aluckyguess" said:

Its is weird yo posted this I was looking for something today and this
came
up and I read it and now I see it again the same day. Wierd

What is really wierd [sic.] is that someone with your lack of
word-skill can get access to a computer when no-one's looking.

Get a life. Looser. Go back to reading youre dictionary. Who really cares.
--
Craig http://www.wazu.jp/
1,239 Unicode fonts for 82 written language groups:

Old November 3rd 07, 04:04 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"aluckyguess" said:

Its is weird yo posted this I was looking for something today and this
came
up and I read it and now I see it again the same day. Wierd

What is really wierd [sic.] is that someone with your lack of
word-skill can get access to a computer when no-one's looking.

Get a life. Looser. Go back to reading youre dictionary. Who really cares.

Heh. The irony of a newsgroup poster telling another newsgroup
poster to get a life.

Communication is one of life's most important skills. You're
deficient. Fix it.

Ok here it goes, you ready. PLONK thats all the communication I need with
you.

Old November 3rd 07, 04:20 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Kwyjibo

"aluckyguess" said:

Its is weird yo posted this I was looking for something today and this
came
up and I read it and now I see it again the same day. Wierd

What is really wierd [sic.] is that someone with your lack of
word-skill can get access to a computer when no-one's looking.

Get a life. Looser. Go back to reading youre dictionary. Who really
cares.

Heh. The irony of a newsgroup poster telling another newsgroup
poster to get a life.

Communication is one of life's most important skills. You're
deficient. Fix it.

Ok here it goes, you ready. PLONK thats all the communication I need with
you.

Hmmm.
Punctuation's not a strong point either, I see.

--
Kwyj.

Old November 3rd 07, 05:05 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

"aluckyguess" said:

Its is weird yo posted this I was looking for something today and this
came
up and I read it and now I see it again the same day. Wierd
What is really wierd [sic.] is that someone with your lack of
word-skill can get access to a computer when no-one's looking.

Get a life. Looser. Go back to reading youre dictionary. Who really cares.

Heh. The irony of a newsgroup poster telling another newsgroup
poster to get a life.

Communication is one of life's most important skills. You're
deficient. Fix it.

And double the irony when you suggest someone read a dictionary and then
misspell loser. :-)

Matt
Old November 4th 07, 07:39 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
mrtravel

Justin Case wrote:

"John Ewing" none@needed wrote in
u:

Indeed it did. But most US citizens would not have a clue where
Tenerife is.

You're as arrogant as the KLM Captain who caused that mess.

That may be true, but it doesn't change the facts.
I would guess the most Australians couldn't tell you where Tenerife is
either.
Old November 4th 07, 02:46 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_7_]

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
Justin Case wrote:

"John Ewing" none@needed wrote in
u:
Indeed it did. But most US citizens would not have a clue where
Tenerife is.

You're as arrogant as the KLM Captain who caused that mess.

That may be true, but it doesn't change the facts.
I would guess the most Australians couldn't tell you where Tenerife is
either.

Simply put, the U.S. has had a larger number of commercial flights over the
past 100 years, so it has had a larger number of crashes.

You could argue about the ten that changed the world, but I think the
following definitely should be included:

1. The British Comet crashes (particularly "Yoke Peter") out of Rome, and
the next one, also out of Rome - BOAC;
2. The Lockheed L-188 Electra problems in the U.S. on Braniff (Buffalo,
Texas) and Northwest (Tell City, Indiana) (propeller "whirl" issues)
3. Tenerife (because of the shear number of victims and the influence on
Cockpit Resource Management) (KLM and PanAm)
4. Several of the Korean Air and China Air crashes including Guam, Hong
Kong, Taipei (also because of Cockpit Resource Management issues)
5. Aloha Airlines decompression and issue between Hilo and Maui, where the
top sheared off (because of metal fatigue issues - just like the Comets);
6. Pan Am Stratocruiser over the Pacific ocean in 1958 (because they were
able to ditch the airplane in the ocean and all passengers survived).