Nearly ready for the A&P exams

Old January 29th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Nearly ready for the A&P exams

"John Kunkel" wrote:

I did the oral at the examiner's residence and the practical the next day
at his hangar.
This was the way he preferred and I think it's better to spread it over
two days.

So did you complete both your A and your P ticket over those two days?

Old February 1st 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

The General is folded into whichever exam you take first. Then
it's pretty much ignored for the second.

Let me be a bit more precise...There will be General questions
in the first exam, but no "official" General questions in
the second.

IIRC this is explained much better in the exam descriptions.

Old February 1st 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

There are two schools in the Denver area -- west side of town has
the "big name and expensive school" and the east side has the VoTec
school that's administered by the local public school system. There are
two manufacturing companies in town, both eager to hire the students
and the grads from the VoTec school.

There are a number of aviation-related companies that are paying
VERY well for A&P, even new grads. Check out L-3 in Greenville, TX.
for example. This company refurbs Air Force heavy-haulers. And
you don't need to enlist, either.
Old February 1st 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Blanche wrote:

There are a number of aviation-related companies that are paying
VERY well for A&P, even new grads. Check out L-3 in Greenville, TX.
for example. This company refurbs Air Force heavy-haulers. And
you don't need to enlist, either.

Funny, they didn't even look at me. Oh, well.
Old February 2nd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rachel" wrote in message Funny, they didn't even look at me. Oh, well.

There are a lot of A&Ps in the airlines, with heavy transport experience,
who are looking at their options. My anectdotal experience is that these are
the people getting the high paying jobs. Sikorsky Aircraft is airing radio
commercials for A&Ps, but the ones who will get hired will have very
specialized experience, and a lot of it.

My employer instituted a 20% pay-cut to everyone in the maintenance
department. A handful of A&Ps left, but there many handfuls applying to take
their place.

If you want some insulation from the chaos, specialize by getting an
avionics endorsement on your ticket.

D.

Old February 2nd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Capt.Doug wrote:
"Rachel" wrote in message Funny, they didn't even look at me. Oh, well.

There are a lot of A&Ps in the airlines, with heavy transport experience,
who are looking at their options. My anectdotal experience is that these are
the people getting the high paying jobs. Sikorsky Aircraft is airing radio
commercials for A&Ps, but the ones who will get hired will have very
specialized experience, and a lot of it.

My employer instituted a 20% pay-cut to everyone in the maintenance
department. A handful of A&Ps left, but there many handfuls applying to take
their place.

If you want some insulation from the chaos, specialize by getting an
avionics endorsement on your ticket.

Eh, I decided right after graduation that I don't care to wrench.
Somehow got myself into a management position, and hopfully will stay
there. I had misgivings about managing A&P types having never used my
A&P, but haven't had problems yet.

And if all else fails, there's always OCS...
Old February 2nd 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rachel" wrote:

And if all else fails, there's always OCS...

Overpaid Captain School?

Old February 3rd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Mark wrote:
"Rachel" wrote:

And if all else fails, there's always OCS...

Overpaid Captain School?

LOL...Officer Candidate School. You know, I had a job offer leading to
an overpaid captain position...not for me.