aviation vhf handheld radio problem

Old February 5th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default aviation vhf handheld radio problem

I bought a Vertex VXA-210 vhf aviation handheld and am experiencing a
strange tone when attempting to transmit with my David Clark headset plugged
into it. The tone is not present if I disconnect the mic plug from the
headset adapter. The tone also fades away if I remove the "rubber ducky"
antenna or if I cover the mid-section of the antenna with my hand while
transmitting. The radio has a feature to turn off its built-in mic with the
headset connected and I have selected it to "off", but find it odd that when
the headset mic plug is disconnected and transmit, I can tap on the radio's
mic and faintly hear the tapping sound in my headset...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Monty

Old February 7th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

pwm wrote:
I bought a Vertex VXA-210 vhf aviation handheld and am experiencing a
strange tone when attempting to transmit with my David Clark headset
plugged into it. The tone is not present if I disconnect the mic plug
from the headset adapter. The tone also fades away if I remove the
"rubber ducky" antenna or if I cover the mid-section of the antenna with
my hand while transmitting. The radio has a feature to turn off its
built-in mic with the headset connected and I have selected it to "off",
but find it odd that when the headset mic plug is disconnected and
transmit, I can tap on the radio's mic and faintly hear the tapping
sound in my headset...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Monty

Its RF feedback coming straight back into the headset lines.... Its
happens on mine but when i plug another aerial into the top it goes
away. You just cant use the rubber ducky aerial and headsets at the same
time you must use an external aerial. Thanks
Old February 7th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

You should be able to eliminate th rf feedback with the use of a ferrite
material around the headset cable.

Look at http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf for some technical
information on the subject.

Colin

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Owning 77 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
Marine Radio using Aviation Antennae Jim Weir Home Built 13 August 12th 03 10:05 PM